User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Yeah but at least you can hide behind achievements there.

Just today, having browsed the waybackmachine of the internet because I linked it for the old template of this very site, I searched for and stumbled on one of my biggest internet achievements no longer in active record, being ranked first in the world in something. It filled me with pride and a sense of supremecy.

But then I realized it was just some silly fps game of which the rankings were calculated rather subjectively at best. Not to mention the amount of players at that time was only a mere 27k.

Can't hide behind achievements that I myself can't acknowledge.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    GONE

I'm wondering what the standards are for "avg" and "slightly above". Seems subjective. Reminds me of the IQ thread where someone announced they had an 143 IQ and really wanted to break 150. It was giving them an inferiority complex.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    intelligence doesn't really matter. It's what you do with what you got. This is true for everyone except politicians, mobsters and cartels.
    Wrong. Those people have intelligence too, just a different kind than yours. In fact, those people are probably the most likely to "free themselves" in the regard that I think the OP is alluding to.

What the OP speaks of may be a Je and/or social instinct issue.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Yeah, Marmie, Gish, and Wolfy kinda nailed it, but . . . I spent a lot of time typing this up, so READ MY WALL OF TEXT AND CARE!!!!!!!

But ive noticed that while the truely gifted can sometimes be extremely ostracised and find themselves all alone, often their intelligence can make up for it and project them into unforseen heights of success, (depending on how you rate success of course).
    Hmm . . . I think the answer is no! Slightly above average people can end up very successful in life, even if they don't possess a 'genius' level of talents or capabilities. That is, if we assume the kind of success we're talking here is related to prestige or one's career.

I think you could also interpret success as happiness or fulfillment, since your parameters weren't too specific, but that doesn't seem to be the case right here. :P

However those who are only slightly above others in their intelligence, might often find there is no outlet for them, no future and no real options.
    Those slightly above average people might feel that way, but a lack of outlets, no future, and a lack of real options sounds like a situation that doesn't automatically result from being slightly above average.

I guess it just boils down to what you mean by these things?

If by outlets you mean human social/intellectual connections, such as a lighthearted political debate or an emotional talk between friends, then I think only way they were absolutely unable to access these sorts of things is if they can't relate to any other slightly above average people around them. But that's an extreme situation that can happen to anyone. I think a lot of people are pretty competent and, even, slightly above average. :P The likelihood of running into someone who's just as average as you is actually pretty high!

That being said, anyone can feel isolated, regardless of whether or not they're slightly above average, an idiot, or a genius. Heck, geniuses should experience this kind of isolation the most, because a lot less people are likely to be on their same wavelength, what with them being geniuses and all.

Someone's future is also determined by things independent of whatever is considered slightly above average. Environment, for example, plays a factor (along with many other variables).You can be born an heir to a filthy rich company with the world at your finger tips, or you can be born in a ghetto slum where no one is looking out for your ability to succeed. I think what you describe as 'options' are affected by these same sort of variables, as well.

The reason I say that is from what ive observed such people are just intelligent enough to feel apart from those around them but not so intelligent that they can break free of the same trappings that most people find themselves in.
    What do you mean by intelligent? I'm assuming slightly above average people have a slightly above average intelligence, which means that they should be able to relate with a wide range of people. Intelligence isn't something that plays a huge role in making connections - not drastic differences in it, at least. Since they're the average, it's likely that a lot of other people can be average with them, too.

What do you mean by trappings, exactly? Like, stuck behind an office cubicle in hell? If that's the case, I don't think the world isn't forcing slightly-above-average people into a tiny box of unhappiness, and slightly above average people aren't the only ones who can feel trapped in those sorts of situations.

In fact, I think above average people, period, would truly feel that kind of misery. They're capable of more, but they aren't reaching their full potential. In that case, it's up to them to take control of the situation, all possible outlying scenarios aside.

Such a person might even have to suffer a horrible, torturous existance because they are knowledgeable enough to know that they will never reach the heights that others are able to . . . and therefore they remain forever tormented by a crystal clear view of their own limitations.
    Why do they need to compare themselves to others, and why is that comparison used to gauge how well they've done in life?

There's always gonna be someone better at something, but it doesn't mean that those people who are better than them are necessarily precluded from a sense of unfulfillment, or even failure (which seems to be what the subject you mention is ultimately fearing, if I read that properly?). That's decided by other things, independent of expertise or ability.

I could despair for the rest of my life knowing that there are people smarter than me, but that's a pretty shitty thing to let curtail my desire to LiV mY lYf.

I have always wondered what it'd be like to be so awful at something you love. But then I figured if you really loved it that much, being good at it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the activity all that badly.

Note the throes of silent despair experienced by this pathetic creature. Much like that of the individual described in the first post.
    Last edited by Ism; 07-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Wrong. Those people have intelligence too, just a different kind than yours. In fact, those people are probably the most likely to "free themselves" in the regard that I think the OP is alluding to.

What the OP speaks of may be a Je and/or social instinct issue.
    Go work in the dc for a bit, then let me know if you still feel that way.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

ReflecTcelfeR

I was thinking about this before I saw the thread.

I have decided that being able to understand what is simple and describe it, as well as what is complex and describe it is part of intelligences nature. That coupled with the idea that you are able to not overcomplicate the simple and not reduce the complex is exactly what we call intelligence.

Nutshell: Being able to describe actuality with ease.

ReflecTcelfeR

I guess I never answered the question posed, did I?

It's not your degree of ability, but the realism of your goals. Yes, certain abilities have lower potentials, and resigning to that I am sure causes great existential distress, dealing with that though is much more extreme and could be avoided. BE REASONABLE.

Do I get a gold star?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    Go work in the dc for a bit, then let me know if you still feel that way.
    Hahaha, please explain further. <-- lived in DC for several years
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I guess I never answered the question posed, did I?

It's not your degree of ability, but the realism of your goals. Yes, certain abilities have lower potentials, and resigning to that I am sure causes great existential distress, dealing with that though is much more extreme and could be avoided. BE REASONABLE.

Do I get a gold star?
    I think this is sidestepping the issue.

I don't think many actually understand what the OP is talking about.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Ive been thinking about this for a while now and it doesn't necessarily pertain to me since im not above average.

But ive noticed that while the truely gifted can sometimes be extremely ostracised and find themselves all alone, often their intelligence can make up for it and project them into unforseen heights of success, (depending on how you rate success of course).

However those who are only slightly above others in their intelligence, might often find there is no outlet for them, no future and no real options. The reason I say that is from what ive observed such people are just intelligent enough to feel apart from those around them but not so intelligent that they can break free of the same trappings that most people find themselves in.

Such a person might even have to suffer a horrible, torturous existance because they are knowledgeable enough to know that they will never reach the heights that others are able to.....and therefore they remain forever tormented by a crystal clear view of their own limitations.

Thoughts?
    Being bright-but-not-genius is perfect, in my books. Bright enough to do pretty much any job competently and to have good conversations, but not so bright that you don't relate to anyone else. Best of both worlds.
    -end of thread-