User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    intelligence doesn't really matter. It's what you do with what you got. This is true for everyone except politicians, mobsters and cartels.
    Don't forget internet trolls.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Ah someone is putting some thought into this. I like that.
    Well I am slightly above average.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ?

I agree with S.Irony. if you're closer to the norm you should be able to connect with "the norm" more easily, and this would include thinking in a way that is similar--in other words, a language barrier within the same language wouldn't exist.

I work with a guy who has an engineering degree, which, in most peoples minds would make him really intelligent. But if you talk to this guy, he gives the opposite impression (total meathead, laughs at fart jokes and thinks they're funniest thing ever, doesn't understand why someone wouldn't want to fuck every piece of barely legal tail that walks by, etc.--i realize these have more to do with character, but i notice that the two go hand-n-hand in odd ways)...

It just makes me wonder what intelligence is. Here's a guy that's alright at math but will dig his heels at the slightest "theoretical"/hypothetical situation, discounting and refusing to even listen to the framework/logic behind something unless it's already proven to be true--to me, narrow mindedness and a lack of imagination, while not damning in themselves, you don't necessarily find someone with the former who isn't intelligent--and yet in his case, who knows, his groundedness could actually, and may have all along, worked towards his advantage in a field as practical as egineering.

(I feel like the above is going to be attributed to type and i would just keep in mind that a certain function in the dominant posistion can lead to results that are much more varied than most, would just read mbti descriptions, would think.)

It's hard to say. If two people can each do one thing the other cannot, is one of those people smarter? If so, are we just favoring one aspect/talent over the other (as i was)--and if we're not, if one person is "more intelligent", shouldn't he/she be capable of not only their greater talent but also capable of the lesser one? So, i guess intelligence should be measured more fluidly, as in "how well one does" and not "how well one does in this particular arena".

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Actually, statistically being slightly above average may be one of the best positions to be in.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Interesting. Actually @EntangledLight intelligence was something I thought might come up, I should have said that we could go on and on about what defines it, but I was pretending that for a moment there is some standard of intelligence that people accept.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Interesting. Actually @EntangledLight intelligence was something I thought might come up, I should have said that we could go on and on about what defines it, but I was pretending that for a moment there is some standard of intelligence that people accept.
    I know what you mean, i was just remarking on how we don't really know how to accurately measure something that stems from an organ we hardly understand.

But, like what you're saying, we don't have to know how find the dividing line in order to talk about what surrounds it.

I think the closer a person is to the norm, the less specialized their environment will have to be (in regards to themselves) in the sense that what one is now in was built by and geared towards the norm to begin with. I think that there will be a segment on the imaginary graph (you could the bell curve if you think the test is completely accurate) where the further one moves from the medium the easier their life will be because they are not only more intelligent but they also lack the need to "specialize" because they are still relatively close to that dividing line, and that ease will continue up to a certain point, at which time the difference between the thoughts and perceptions of the individual and those of the medium will cause enough of a gulf that one now has to further "specialize" (as in social connection/combatting alienation, etc.).

So, to condense that huge run-on sentence: easier up to a certain point, then, i would guess, more trouble than it's worth.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Perhaps it's more like the movie Amadeus. Even though the plot isn't historically accurate, Salieri is jealous of Mozart's talent because he knows no matter what he tries musically, Mozart is the genius that will always best him.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

You think slightly above average is bad? Pft...

It's lonely at the top!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Perhaps it's more like the movie Amadeus. Even though the plot isn't historically accurate, Salieri is jealous of Mozart's talent because he knows no matter what he tries musically, Mozart is the genius that will always best him.
    Even his death was so ironic, I doubt it could be bested. (that is, if the theory of hypochondria being the main catalyst of his undoing is the correct diagnosis)
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    You think slightly above average is bad? Pft...

It's lonely at the top!
    Yeah but at least you can hide behind achievements there.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

1) This presumes that being above average implies you want some kind of socially recognized success, which is not always the case.

2) You can realize your position and live a life apart if you have above average intelligence. If you're afraid to do that or equate success with holding some kind of worldly position that's a different matter entirely.

3) If you're even clever or sly you can free yourself of trappings. I think this is a type of intelligence. It may be what Keirsey refers to as SP tactical intelligence. I'm pretty sure I have it, because I look at people and I'm like "why the fuck you do this" and I will do anything in my power to get what I want, whatever works, and typically the only thing that can stop me is lack of money (and sometimes not even then).

4) However, those of us with Fi and our social instinct last in enneagram may care so little about social convention or those "traps" you speak of, that it's not difficult for us to escape them because we never deem them as important to begin with.