User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: quantum theory

WALMART

Default quantum theory

I'm really just curious about how many people know, understand and utilize the information found within quantum theory.

I feel had I never picked it up my knowledge of the universe would be nil compared what I know today.

Example:
    knowing color is light reflecting off an object is cool knowledge. knowing color is the remnant of what light was not absorbed from an object is cooler knowledge. knowing color is an expression of specific wave frequencies an electron possesses is impressive knowledge. knowing these wave frequencies are directly relative to the quantum uncertainty principle is awe-inspiring...

at least for me.

I remember my physics teacher in high school calling me "weird" one day for carrying around Brian Greene's "Fabric of the Cosmos", a book very influential of my spirituality.

Have any thoughts? Lay 'em on me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

wow, i knew the stuff about light but i didn't know that was technically considered to be quantom physics. never really looked at the subject as a whole though.
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I would very surprised if you this particular topic garnered...much...in the way of honest scholarly discussion here - or most anywhere else, for that matter.

Not to say that folks 'round here aren't intelligent; it's just that QFT is still a budding academic enterprise, with critical variables still hidden. Subject matter expertise is truly difficult when key parts of the QFT mechanism remain invisible to even our strongest minds and deepest technology.

Sort of like M-Theory, but with falsifiable data to test. At any rate, I am an avid fan, given the incredible technology available through QFT -- neutrino computing; tensile strength at the femtometric subatomic level, all but indestructible to brute force..

QFT has the potential to allow human exploration on the face of ultra-high gravitational surfaces, like a neutron star. Or get closer than we ever imagined to the event horizon of a black hole, maybe even 'feed' the black hole a stellar body and retrieve the photons from the accretion disc and use them to power our civilization in ways we can't begin to imagine..

Enneagram
    4w5

:"Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it". (Niels Bohr, the father of modern QP)

I have founf myself drawn to this topic and has tried to educate myself by reading aticles written for common people ( hate the term Yet, my difficulty remain finding an a crediable article that explains the subject with less lingos (i.e sin, cos..) even, put my ego on the side and tried to readin QP for Dummies which was not readble at all..

Here a part of an article which i find reasonably readable:

Quantum Physics is the science of things so small that the quantum nature of reality has an effect. Quantum means 'discrete amount' or 'portion'.
    Interesting findings based on QP:
    a.Your consciousness affects the behaviour of subatomic particles ( which i find the most interesting due to being a therapist)

b. Particles move backwards as well as forwards in time and appear in all possible places at once

c. The universe is splitting, every Planck-time (10 E-43 seconds) into billions of parallel universes.:horor:

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

In the quantum theory, anything that can happen, will happen in a parallel universe, all possible realities playing out in the game of existence, in which we are the players, fighting from the lowest to the highest levels, striving to become God, the master of the Game.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    In the quantum theory, anything that can happen, will happen in a parallel universe, all possible realities playing out in the game of existence, in which we are the players, fighting from the lowest to the highest levels, striving to become God, the master of the Game.
    omg, whenever I think about this, (and this is a recycled post btw if any of you have a deja vous) , anyway
    I picture God being like a captain of a team and Jesus (or whichever prophet/religious leader you like) sitting in the center of the Earth with joysticks and each solar system competing like in a video game contest with who can bring their world the closest to salvation, and then each God of each universe competes in like these semi finals until the playoffs.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    4w5

[/B]Herre is QP take on philosophy ( !!) and the notion of Free will Vs. predestination.

"Quantum theory introduced an element of randomness standing out against the previous deterministic worldview, in which randomness, if it occurred at all, simply indicated our ignorance of a more detailed description. In sharp contrast to such epistemic randomness, quantum randomness in processes such as spontaneous emission of light, radioactive decay, or other examples of state reduction was considered a fundamental feature of nature, independent of our ignorance or knowledge".

Q HOW DO YOU GUYS UNDERESTAND THIS PARAGRAPH??

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I struggled with quantum theory for awhile because it made me have to delve deeper to understand the soul as (possibly) a quantum mechanical process. Personally, I think it is a very useful tool, but I think there are points within it that if were assumed different(?) would have MASSIVE implications on the way it is interpreted. For example, what if there is no such thing as an irreducible particle? We just assume there isn't, but there's no way to know because we can't build a collider that big. I also believe neuroscience should study the minds of physicists who disagree on basic interpretations of QM. Hell, this should be done for mathematicians, philosophers, great artists, politicians, great athletes, etc to see what beliefs/talents/abilities are correlated with which outcomes. Hell, why glorify the brain alone? Why not include data for the structure of other major organs and muscle groups? I mean, the body works as a holistic system not as individual parts.

Sorry the mind-body rant was spillover from another thread lol. I do think that other sciences like sociology, psychology, etc should study physicists so that the "basic beliefs" within the field can be opened for questioning. I think this would help advance quantum physics much more rapidly and end the stalemate that we're at with string theory.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    The indeterminism of individual quantum events is constrained by statistical laws"...
    Yes. Everything that can happen is happening. The only ultimate constraint is the final fate of the universe in which these physical laws hold lease -- ours is likely to be a gradual heat death. The interesting notion about an adjacent/pocket universe is that it is conceivable their physical laws could/will differ from our own - perhaps only as a nuance or maybe as great as introducing a new fundamental property of material expression.

It's all happening. Always has been.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    Herre is QP take on philosophy ( !!) and the notion of Free will VS predestination.

"Quantum theory introduced an element of randomness standing out against the previous deterministic worldview, in which randomness, if it occurred at all, simply indicated our ignorance of a more detailed description. In sharp contrast to such epistemic randomness, quantum randomness in processes such as spontaneous emission of light, radioactive decay, or other examples of state reduction was considered a fundamental feature of nature, independent of our ignorance or knowledge. To be precise, this feature refers to individual quantum events, whereas the behavior of ensembles of such events is statistically determined. The indeterminism of individual quantum events is constrained by statistical laws"...

I'm glad you posted that.

A philosophical belief of mine is that the universe (or universes) are fated to predetermination... until a being of indeterminable quantum structure can alter said course.

brain = parallel interaction of electrons = indeterminability

I believe the quantum effect is specifically responsible for the very real presence of choice.

One thought reliably throws me off this belief... is there a device with such enormous computational ability as to determine all current and future locations of electrons in my brain? Probably not, but if there is.... pfft.

I hate philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I struggled with quantum theory for awhile because it made me have to delve deeper to understand the soul as (possibly) a quantum mechanical process. Personally, I think it is a very useful tool, but I think there are points within it that if were assumed different(?) would have MASSIVE implications on the way it is interpreted. For example, what if there is no such thing as an irreducible particle? We just assume there isn't, but there's no way to know because we can't build a collider that big. I also believe neuroscience should study the minds of physicists who disagree on basic interpretations of QM. Hell, this should be done for mathematicians, philosophers, great artists, politicians, great athletes, etc to see what beliefs/talents/abilities are correlated with which outcomes. Hell, why glorify the brain alone? Why not include data for the structure of other major organs and muscle groups? I mean, the body works as a holistic system not as individual parts.

Sorry the mind-body rant was spillover from another thread lol. I do think that other sciences like sociology, psychology, etc should study physicists so that the "basic beliefs" within the field can be opened for questioning. I think this would help advance quantum physics much more rapidly and end the stalemate that we're at with string theory.

"it's turtles, all the way down"