Thread: quantum theory

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    There is no reason to apologize,.. I Think we all tend to customize ( perhaps unintentionally) certain difficult theories in a way we can better comprehend them. For example, despite my liking, subject such as physics, chemistry, biology and their theories are more difficult to understand as opposed to social sciences,.. so in attempt to comprehend the later subjects ,I tend to find their implications on humanities...
    Makes sense. My concern was creating a linear expectation, thereby stymieing honest discussion and real questions. The biting part is that, in constructing these parameters, I am fundamentally rallying against the very concepts that give rise to creative, freeform approach to historical quandaries.

Being my own worst enemy is a real bitch.

At any rate, I am going to unplug. Have a good night, all.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Makes sense. My concern was creating a linear expectation, thereby stymieing honest discussion and real questions. The biting part is that, in constructing these parameters, I am fundamentally rallying against the very concepts that give rise to creative, freeform approach to historical quandaries.

Being my own worst enemy is a real bitch.

At any rate, I am going to unplug. Have a good night, all.

Thanks for making my thread a great success!

Enneagram
    4w5

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@Night

I would recommend to you "Who's in charge?"

Also, I am trying to remember which thread I linked to @phobik regarding the link between being exposed to deterministic statements and antisocial behavior. my reasoning for tying the two together is that determinism and free will
    are both possibilities and one has antisocial implications. I also believe deterministic thinking is also self-serving both materially and emotionally and removes -responsibility- both individually and collectively. It's a cop out for resentment.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

There is the very large and the very small, but we are in the middle.

So we have evolved to make sense of the middle sized. No wonder we find the very big and the very small to be unimaginable.

But we use the middle as a metaphor to imagine the very big and the very small.

But we shouldn't be surprised when the metaphor breaks down because the small is unimaginably small as the large is unimaginably large. It's enough to make me dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    It's not that all states exist at once. All states don't occur. Only the states reality produce are what exists, the rest were merely quantic potentials. They are not parallel universes, they are not alternate timelines, they are simply past potential states of matter that failed to derive.
    That's only one interpretation. All modern interpretations, including multiple universes, should be considered valid until one can be proven correct.

I think that what you describe is probably correct but I leave open the possibility that I could be wrong. It fits with my worldview that the universe is deterministic and not probabilistic. However that is not to say that probabilties are useless when you don't know the starting conditions.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    :"Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it". (Niels Bohr, the father of modern QP)

I have founf myself drawn to this topic and has tried to educate myself by reading aticles written for common people ( hate the term Yet, my difficulty remain finding an a crediable article that explains the subject with less lingos (i.e sin, cos..) even, put my ego on the side and tried to readin QP for Dummies which was not readble at all..

Here a part of an article which i find reasonably readable:

Quantum Physics is the science of things so small that the quantum nature of reality has an effect. Quantum means 'discrete amount' or 'portion'.
    Interesting findings based on QP:
    a.Your consciousness affects the behaviour of subatomic particles ( which i find the most interesting due to being a therapist)

b. Particles move backwards as well as forwards in time and appear in all possible places at once

c. The universe is splitting, every Planck-time (10 E-43 seconds) into billions of parallel universes.:horor:

I was reading your post again for fun, and proof c caught my eye.

After thinking about what I've thought tonight, I suppose it's more like a billion parallel universes are materializing to make reality.

*stares at hand*

And the only reason it matters is because we made it matter. lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    In the quantum theory, anything that can happen, will happen in a parallel universe, all possible realities playing out in the game of existence, in which we are the players, fighting from the lowest to the highest levels, striving to become God, the master of the Game.

What in life do you think of that does not revert back to the ultimate figure?

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    That's only one interpretation. All modern interpretations, including multiple universes, should be considered valid until one can be proven correct.

I think that what you describe is probably correct but I leave open the possibility that I could be wrong. It fits with my worldview that the universe is deterministic and not probabilistic. However that is not to say that probabilties are useless when you don't know the starting conditions.

And when you know the starting conditions?

also, soundgarden rocks.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    In the quantum theory, anything that can happen, will happen in a parallel universe, all possible realities playing out in the game of existence, in which we are the players, fighting from the lowest to the highest levels, striving to become God, the master of the Game.
    Perhaps they learn to love each other and exist cooperatively
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@jontherobot. your electron positioning is not knowable because of Heisenberg uncertainty. I think it could be approximated however.

Also, string theory does overlap with quantum mechanics because strings are supposed to reconcile quantum gravity and since electrons have mass..

Also, qm applies to more than just electrons

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    your electron positioning is not knowable because of Heisenberg uncertainty. I think it could be approximated however.

what if that's all we think? like @Night said, we have but basic understanding of the nature...

Also string theory does overlap with quantum mechanics because strings are supposed to reconcile quantum gravity and since electrons have mass..

i suppose i was stating that quantum mechanics as a whole is the science, string theory is a subscience (for now). or it will make the term quantum mechanics obsolete. or something.

Also, qm applies to more than just electrons

you are correct, i guess i mostly just think about electrons and energy n shit and lose sight of what things really are.

although i'd also argue anything smaller than quantum physics deserves its own set of terms =P

i also just realized i do a lot of mental retconning, lol