User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default literary structure of the average forum-goer

So, Im internally debating:

1) I have a reading disability where I fail to comprehend what I read

-or-

2) People are ENTIRELY too wordy with their thoughts

I read what people write and think... wtf is this? Perhaps I am not intellectual enough to follow what is being said? Or maybe I have no desire to follow it?

I guess, if you want a real question to answer... do you actually read and comprehend what others are saying?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So, Im internally debating:

1) I have a reading disability where I fail to comprehend what I read

-or-

2) People are ENTIRELY too wordy with their thoughts

I read what people write and think... wtf is this? Perhaps I am not intellectual enough to follow what is being said? Or maybe I have no desire to follow it?

I guess, if you want a real question to answer... do you actually read and comprehend what others are saying?
    Hmm, although I'd like to think I have little trouble following peoples intentions and posts, apart from the occasional INTJ, the few times I have misunderstood or failed to understand, I've been known to prod around in a discussion until I do understand peoples perspectives and intentions, regardless of their worth.

Also, I try to present my posts in a manner in which I feel most people will be able to understand me without much problems.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Hmm, although I'd like to think I have little trouble following peoples intentions and posts, apart from the occasional INTJ, the few times I have misunderstood or failed to understand, I've been known to prod around in a discussion until I do understand peoples perspectives and intentions, regardless of their worth.

Also, I try to present my posts in a manner in which I feel most people will be able to understand me without much problems.

I like your posts. Ironically, not much fluff.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I like your posts. Ironically, not much fluff.
    I try to keep a good balance, so I still feel somewhat like a valued contributor, instead of just some funny troll.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can understand what most people are saying but some people are bad at elucidating their thoughts, and other posts I just read too quickly (therefore sometimes missing something)...there's also the matter of a person may be communicating something, and you don't see from their perspective or have the right facts, which is why clarification is sometimes necessary.

I get very irritated with posts that are huge uninterrupted walls of text full of pretentious language, because then it doesn't seem worth it, I don't come here so I can read text books.

I think it depends on your actual reading comprehension in school or in reading books or articles, because if anyone challenges your reading comprehension here, what they really may mean is "you didn't understand what I meant" or "you read my post too fast" or "I don't like your opinion."

I don't think the average poster here is too bad, though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

I feel the same way. Sometimes I will read what people are saying, and trying to comprehend it can be difficult.

I sometimes actually ask myself the same 2 questions you have above. I also ask myself if I just have too short of an attention span to follow what they are saying.

It makes me feel dumb and i have a 3.9 GPA.
    I'm not always the best at describing my thoughts so bare with me. Ok?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by emibee View Post
    I feel the same way. Sometimes I will read what people are saying, and trying to comprehend it can be difficult.

I sometimes actually ask myself the same 2 questions you have above. I also ask myself if I just have too short of an attention span to follow what they are saying.

It makes me feel dumb and i have a 3.9 GPA.
    I had a 3.9 GPA in college, and a pefect score in reading comprehension on the ACT, and made a perfect score on the AP Literary exam in high school, and I've still had people here tell me that they did not approve of my comprehension.

Then I began to notice it was a lot of times the same person over and over again, which leads one to believe the person writing (not the person reading) is the one with the problem.

I've also noticed sometimes that reading on forums or on-line is not as easy as reading a book or news paper, because of the glare, I can't believe people even want to own Kindles instead of real books.

I think you have to train your brain to read forum style posts, or maybe it is an attention-span or speed-reading issue.

In my case a lot of times it's a speed-reading issue.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also question for the people who say they're having real problems: do you simply not know type theory? Any time you study a specific subject there will be specialized language, and if you do not understand the specialized language of type theory it may simply be difficult for you until you study it and it becomes more of a second nature for you to speak or write in the specialized language.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think you have to train your brain to read forum style posts, or maybe it is an attention-span or speed-reading issue.

In my case a lot of times it's a speed-reading issue.
    Yeah. I totally agree with this. Honestly, I think it might be a speed reading thing, because I want to keep up with the forum and not fall behind. But sometimes people will discuss something in depth I kind of find interesting but not interesting enough to want to actively read everything they are saying. That might be an attention span thing.
    I'm not always the best at describing my thoughts so bare with me. Ok?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

i am pretty disappoint with the literacy of the average forum member. even my German is better than the English of most of my fellow Americans here...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]