First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So, Im internally debating:

1) I have a reading disability where I fail to comprehend what I read
    I read what people write and think... wtf is this? Perhaps I am not intellectual enough to follow what is being said? Or maybe I have no desire to follow it?
    You might wanna consider stop getting wasted. That's not doing any good to your brain.
    I guess, if you want a real question to answer... do you actually read and comprehend what others are saying?
    Yes, but I tend to skip most people. Unless the subject is particularly interesting.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Some of the posters here believe that being wordy is the same as having a clear argument; as if some knowledge of the technical language surrounding the subject matter is a proxy for general logic and coherence.

MBTI
    INFJ

I understand what people are saying 99%+ of the time, as in, I know what the words mean.

What I fail at some times is understanding why they are saying what they are saying, or if what they think they are saying is the same thing as what the words convey. Words are often crystal clear but reasoning some times isn't.

Like, if I say "A purple dogfish in amber makes a good paper weight." that is clearly a declarative statement. What's to understand? Clearly the dogfish, which is purple, makes a good paperweight when encased in amber. The words are not hard to understand. My reasoning for saying that may be hard to understand though.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

most people are easy to understand, sometimes when it gets technical, it can take some time to figure out the full meaning. generally when im reading some post, i try to understand why they say what they say, with most types its easy, but INTJs tend to say things that i dont understand why the heck they say that, hence i dont understand them as often as other types(its mostly just when they try to explain something complex) and my head starts to hurt. its like reading empty words between obvious ones..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I have no problems. Some folks like to use pretentious words and waste time repeating the same thing over and over again in increasingly tedious attempts at sounding poetic or profound, but if you can get past all of the bluster the message is usually something banal or simple-minded. Nothing too complicated.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So, Im internally debating:

1) I have a reading disability where I fail to comprehend what I read

-or-

2) People are ENTIRELY too wordy with their thoughts

I read what people write and think... wtf is this? Perhaps I am not intellectual enough to follow what is being said? Or maybe I have no desire to follow it?

I guess, if you want a real question to answer... do you actually read and comprehend what others are saying?
    I haven't run across any forum members that are too difficult to understand. I've misunderstood some things, but I generally find there are ways I can adjust my reading of the particular member to understand what they mean better in the future.

People will post things that are uninteresting to you. Just skip it. What's the big deal?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Not other than Kalach.

Oh, and sometimes Tater.

Both are for extreme N-related reasons.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Also, a lot of people will write dumb shit, but it's generally easy to understand.

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't tend to find this a problem myself, but that's possibly because I'm very much inclined to ramble and be wordy. (Is this an Ne thing I wonder? Must... include... all... possibilities... must... include... all... caveats... )

I have more of a problem forcing myself to stamp down on my knee-jerk reaction to not immediately grasping someone's point, which is "You're not making logical sense" with various subtypes. While this is indeed sometimes the reason I don't get it, I have to try quite hard to remember that it might actually be me missing the point. Took me several years of a degree to get even to this stage. Humility while dissecting things is sadly not my strong point.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I guess I might be guilty of not making myself as understandable as I can. But I do it on purpose...there's no need to dumb yourself down here. The sometimes nuanced way I write is indicative to a large degree of how I think. And I use the forum as a platform from which to expose inefficient ways of thinking.

Also, I don't think in language so it's hard for me to translate my thinking into language at times. I'll often lose shades of meaning in the process.

But I appreciate the attempts at understanding my point of view...I've been impressed with how abstractly I can describe something and still get my message across. It takes a lot of the legwork away from me.

I don't like having to tailor my writing to others, and this forum is good for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    As in life, some people like to talk to hear themselves talk and some write for the same reasons. It’s the writer’s responsibility to make what they write interesting enough to keep the readers attention.
    These approaches might seem contradictory, but I'm operating within both when I post, if my intent is to be heard and then understood.

No, you don't have to dumb things down here. I think all I ask is that people use good visual style to break up their thoughts so they can actually be read; "chunking" techniques are especially crucial on a computer screen, even moreso than the written page. It's funny what just intelligible organization (visually and content-wise) can do to make a post interesting and, well, readable. The screen medium is also different than a book; it's designed for shorter excerpts, the eye will get worn down if it has to scan too much "wall o' text." It's amazing how much more attention one might get for their ideas just by using more paragraph breaks and multiple posts (rather than all in one post).

Meanwhile, writing is a form of communication. If you're not trying to communicate, then it's merely a vanity exercise and being understood doesn't really matter... which is fine, but then don't complain when no one reads your stuff. Communication = an agreement between reader and writer, the reader wants to hear new ideas and the writer wants to convey their ideas. Therefore it makes sense to speak as much in the common language that you share, as much as possible; your goal isn't to be esoteric, it's to be understood.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft