User Tag List

12 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default What's in a job?

Ok I just want to hear personal stories about people's experience in the 'modern' workplaces of the world.

I also want to know if people ever got into a job they enjoyed or were suited for?

ps: Hah modern; most are like coffins for the living to waste away in.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Ok I just want to hear personal stories about people's experience in the 'modern' workplaces of the world.

I also want to know if people ever got into a job they enjoyed or were suited for?

I was my own boss for 15 years, then went to work for a boss who is a nightmare to work for. I've wanted to walk out on many occasions. But 8 1/2 years later I'm still here. So there must be some good points to staying. I work with computers, which is good, but I don't ONLY work with computers, which is also good. The job comes with a good mixture of responsibilities so that I'm not stuck doing the same routine thing all the time.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I was suited to Congressman Crenshaw's (FL - 04) office pretty well. Unfortunately I was just an intern, and didn't have the connections to make my stay more permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I was suited to Congressman Crenshaw's (FL - 04) office pretty well. Unfortunately I was just an intern, and didn't have the connections to make my stay more permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I was my own boss for 15 years, then went to work for a boss who is a nightmare to work for. I've wanted to walk out on many occasions. But 8 1/2 years later I'm still here. So there must be some good points to staying. I work with computers, which is good, but I don't ONLY work with computers, which is also good. The job comes with a good mixture of responsibilities so that I'm not stuck doing the same routine thing all the time.
    These are good, thanks for telling me. I just find it interesting how people may or may not gravitate towards jobs which are more suited to them as a person or even their natural skills.

Of course many would say that such an observation is...well obvious. But ive always found work a massive struggle and it irritates me that I am so weak when it comes to workloads, ive never been able to handle much for any length of time, if I dont openly break down I tend to just become extremely ill internally, even though I dont realise why.
    This hasn't been such a problem at my last few jobs, but this one? Fuck me it was bad, no way I could have stuck even a month there, let alone a year.

Im sorry that you werent able to stay at the job you enjoyed disco .

I must admit ive always been annoyed and upset that jobs are a necessary chore within the systems we build for ourselves, but unfortunately I doubt we could escape them. Trade has always been the cornerstone of human groupings, the only difference now is most built up places exchange on a system of economy using some mineral as the core of a monetary promise based system. Years ago we might have traded in animals or goods, now it is in promises.

I wonder if my weakness is just an individual problem, or something to do with MBTI? Im guessing it is more of an individual problem.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

A few years ago my job was far more enjoyable. Since the chain of command has been jumbled around it's not the same. I pretty much handle all the technology on campus...Assistance when there are problems, purchasing new equipment, taking inventory, etc. I'm pretty much just buying my time here until I've vested in the retirement...and then I'll probably buy some extra years... Work a little bit longer and then turn in my resignation to pursue other dreams.

Before all the changes... I had a boss that respected me and didn't take advantage of me. Then they decided my position should fall under a different department... So I was moved... And new boss doesn't keep me informed about anything and frequently takes advantage of me. I'd probably be a lot happier if I was still in the other department.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

These are good, thanks for telling me. I just find it interesting how people may or may not gravitate towards jobs which are more suited to them as a person or even their natural skills.

Of course many would say that such an observation is...well obvious. But ive always found work a massive struggle and it irritates me that I am so weak when it comes to workloads, ive never been able to handle much for any length of time, if I dont openly break down I tend to just become extremely ill internally, even though I dont realise why.
    This hasn't been such a problem at my last few jobs, but this one? Fuck me it was bad, no way I could have stuck even a month there, let alone a year.

Im sorry that you werent able to stay at the job you enjoyed disco .

I must admit ive always been annoyed and upset that jobs are a necessary chore within the systems we build for ourselves, but unfortunately I doubt we could escape them. Trade has always been the cornerstone of human groupings, the only difference now is most built up places exchange on a system of economy using some mineral as the core of a monetary promise based system. Years ago we might have traded in animals or goods, now it is in promises.

I wonder if my weakness is just an individual problem, or something to do with MBTI? Im guessing it is more of an individual problem.
    Well. I'm doing something now that's not my true passion because I need the money and stability. Your dreams don't always come true the way you want them to. It takes hard (unpleasant) work to get where you want to. Sometimes that entails working at a job you don't love.

Knowing that and still having the drive to get up everyday and work and make that money anyway is one of the tests of being adult.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Well. I'm doing something now that's not my true passion because I need the money and stability. Your dreams don't always come true the way you want them to. It takes hard (unpleasant) work to get where you want to. Sometimes that entails working at a job you don't love.

Knowing that and still having the drive to get up everyday and work and make that money anyway is one of the tests of being adult.
    Well ive worked at jobs like that before and never struggled, but this.....quite literally I was physically breaking down and I had no idea why. Just had to get out before I hurt someone.

I guess someone like me should just toss himself off somewhere or into something, the true reality is that in these times there isn't any use for self-inulgent whiners, if I go there are still some 7 billion happy to take my place.

I mean where is the balance? When the economy is face to the grindstone, is there any place for weak people like myself?
    The frustrating part is I dont know when such a thing will happen, im at the mercy of random internal biology I cant understand.

Obviously not everyone can succeed at life, I know that too well.

If everyone is reaching for the stars, who is building the ladder to get there?

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm a charge nurse in a LTC/ skilled rehab facility. I do love my job. What I really like most about my job is that I'm really valued and appreciated, and my benefits aren't bad. I'm not so good with the details of the job but not bad at the supervisor/planning/ talking to/ teaching families and patients and just good insight into people's conditions. The $$ are good too. It's a smallish company with only four facilities, so it has some weird corporation type of stuff but mostly personalized. They haven't skimped me on raises either, where some people at the company were told that people rarely get a full raise. The lady above me is my ENTJ friend, and offered me her position already, (I was the first candidate on the list!!) open in a year, huge raise, but I'm not taking it... Too much stress on my mental condition. I'll probably stay there part time and work in an acute setting part time, (better technical skills and more hardcore medical knowledge) before I (possibly) move on to bigger and better things. (RNP in my future hopefully! Maybe psych, or general practitioner type stuff, and if all works out in my life, I will travel around the world doing healthcare and a lot of writing outside of the field and let my creative side flourish more) That's way ahead though.

But yeah. Modern workplaces... It's working out fine...... as long as people <3 me I'm okay.

I like to have a life, I'm kind of a smart but lazy type of worker, I'm young but not really into the whole working all the time and tons of stress. I make a good living salary and am looking into buying a low priced cutsie house soon...

Just find something that you can tolerate that shares some of your own values I would say... (Whether it is simple coworkers or cutting edge technology or stability or creativity or whatever floats your boat.) Biggest thing that EVERYONE needs to overcome to get the job that they want is being MARKETABLE! in this society. I mean skills. Really valuable skills. I've got that so I've been lucky girl. Plus I'm mostly just a stability freak, which is why I chose nursing to begin with, though it's a weird fit for me. I REALLY wanted to go into advertising for a while but I can't do the whole corporate ladder business without going crazy.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I get backaches from work-related stress. It's called somatizing,

I didn't have a huge workload dumped on me in the beginning. I was started slow, and as I apparently worked out as an employee, more and more was tossed on my shoulders. Within a 6 month time-span I went from 25 hours a week to 50.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I get backaches from work-related stress. It's called somatizing,

I didn't have a huge workload dumped on me in the beginning. I was started slow, and as I apparently worked out as an employee, more and more was tossed on my shoulders. Within a 6 month time-span I went from 25 hours a week to 50.
    This one ive just been at basically started out like hitting the floor running, me racing around like a fucking woodpecker on amphetamines while people whined that their stuff wasn't completed yet.

Meanwhile the in-tray is getting bigger, the obese woman from physio, (ironic isnt it?), has got stuck in the door blocking surgical assessment; while the crazy man from ward 10 starts throwing his papers past the gap in physio's arm fat.

Fuck that, im off!!

- A.A. Milne.