User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 90

  1. #1
    Senior Member EntangledLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    184

    Default The 'Tipping' Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rawr_sheila View Post
    I don't tip. I hate tipping. I already pay enough for the food and service....but if I was a waiter, I'd do all I could to get as much tips as possible
    if you don't tip, how are you paying for the service?

    let me clue ya in :P:

    first off, we don't get paid anything--not really--my highest paying 2-week check was $21.34 (which would be great if this was the early 1900s)... we make our money off our tables, almost like renting out a booth in a barber shop except if we make more than minimum wage off of tips alone, they don't have to pay us (if we make less and they do have to pay us, and this continues to happen, they boot you--that's if you're really costing them. if you're making $6.53 then they just pay the difference...). then, they take the money we're making (3% of out total sales) and split it among the hosts, bussers, and bartenders (in an effort to not pay them)--that's 3% coming off the meal you're not tipping on. so, if you meal was $100, we now just payed $3 to wait on you, depriving us of a table that would actually tip.

    as far as cash tips... that really is thoughtful, but out of an attempt to stifle potential audits, and the company not making the upmost amount of money off you... since they're taking 3% of your cash sales (in an effort to combat any "hiding" that is going on on cash tips), it really evens out in the end... still though, it always makes me smile when someone tries to do something nice.

    but back on subject... uh, ISTJ's, right... uh:

    i've noticed something with Pi-dom.'s, that their experience (regardless of which, and yes, Ni does also work off of experience, it treats it differently and works through a different medium) is their reality. so, not to poke fun at ISTJ's, but my brother-in-law and my close (amazing) friend are both ISTJ's and are terrible tippers. but, back to the "experience" factor, some that i work with will tip outrageously (like 50%). when i raise my eyebrows at them, they're just like, "hey, i've waited (or am waiting) tables. i know how it is, plus that person is sweating enough to fill my drink without a pitcher". in other words... i think experience plays a large role for everyone, but maybe doubly so for Pi-doms??? eh...

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EntangledLight View Post
    if you don't tip, how are you paying for the service?
    Yeah some people don't get this that the gratuity is not included at most restaurants in the U.S. (unlike a country like Germany, and sometimes France, I believe) and that sometimes waiters DONT EVEN MAKE MINIMUM WAGE. There are states where waiters make like 2 or 3 bucks per hour, it's insane.

    Usually gratuity is only added in very top of the line restaurants, or in mid-priced restaurants for parties that are at least of 6 or 8 people.

    I will say some of the best tippers I ever had when I waited tables in WV (in West Virginia, not in Las Vegas or California, or even North Carolina, mind you) were some Ron Paul-ites who got this concept. They actually left me Ron Paul political tracts along with their generous tip. Of course, being as politically involved as they are, they probably knew I was getting paid 2.13 an hour in the state of West Virginia.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EntangledLight View Post
    if you don't tip, how are you paying for the service?
    Cost of food and beverages ought to ideally cover wages and that should be enough, but in many cases they aren't, so tipping helps ... I personally have a conflicting opinion about tipping myself.

    That said .. tipping is like a reward for good service. But I would much rather save on the tip and give it to a homeless person instead. If only society didn't make me feel obligated to tip every waiter etc, I would probably never tip and instead give it to charity.

  4. #4
    defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah some people don't get this that the gratuity is not included at most restaurants in the U.S. (unlike a country like Germany, and sometimes France, I believe) and that sometimes waiters DONT EVEN MAKE MINIMUM WAGE. There are states where waiters make like 2 or 3 bucks per hour, it's insane.

    Usually gratuity is only added in very top of the line restaurants, or in mid-priced restaurants for parties that are at least of 6 or 8 people.

    I will say some of the best tippers I ever had when I waited tables in WV (in West Virginia, not in Las Vegas or California, or even North Carolina, mind you) were some Ron Paul-ites who got this concept. They actually left me Ron Paul political tracts along with their generous tip. Of course, being as politically involved as they are, they probably knew I was getting paid 2.13 an hour in the state of West Virginia.
    I waited tables for a year recently at $3.13 an hour... I never got any Paul-ites, but I did get a total of 3 bibles in lieu of a tip.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

    Johari -- Nohari

    Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

  5. #5
    defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Cost of food and beverages ought to ideally cover wages and that should be enough ... I personally have a conflicting opinion about tipping myself.

    That said .. tipping is like a reward for good service. But I would much rather save on the tip and give it to a homeless person instead. If only society didn't make me feel obligated to tip every waiter etc, I would probably never tip and instead give it to charity.
    That's all well and good but the truth is that it doesn't cover wages. Not for the waitstaff, anyway. I don't by any means disagree with giving money to homeless people, but honestly, some of your waiters and waitresses probably aren't far from homelessness.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

    Johari -- Nohari

    Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    That's all well and good but the truth is that it doesn't cover wages. Not for the waitstaff, anyway. I don't by any means disagree with giving money to homeless people, but honestly, some of your waiters and waitresses probably aren't far from homelessness.
    Yeah -- I re-edited my post to clarify that I realized people aren't always paid enough. However, the thing is that most people eating also aren't really paid that much to begin with too, you know. Many times I've gone to a restaurant myself when totally strapped for cash with a certain budget in mind, only to realize that I'm over-paying for the food and then having to give the tip as well. I always give 10-15% of the total bill as an unwritten rule, and I'm not stingy. It's just that I do wonder how much margin the owners are making and whether they are being fair to both their consumers as well as their employees.

  7. #7
    Senior Member EntangledLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    184

    Default

    i edited my post to make it more "educational" and less accusatory, so check it! :P

    how i see it: i have no problem taking a bad tip if we're incredibly slow and i didn't have to juggle 15 things on 20-30 second intervals just to receive that bad tip, because i didn't really do any "hard work" to deserve 20%. but, if you're too poor to tip well (especially during peak hours), what are you doing eating out?

    on the other hand, some servers are shit-bags. they either already were, they've adopted that mind-set to mentally detach from being constantly demeaned (in other words, people at this job adopt work personas, or it's just a different side of themselves that gets pulled to the front during stressful situations... haven't really noticed it at other jobs), or they've just been doing the job too long... and if you heard what they really think about you, or what they say about, say, your 13 year old daughter, you'd probably kill them.

    and oh yeah, verbal tips and (@raine_lynn lol), bible cards and invites to your church don't count.

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Cost of food and beverages ought to ideally cover wages and that should be enough, but in many cases they aren't, so tipping helps ... I personally have a conflicting opinion about tipping myself.

    That said .. tipping is like a reward for good service. But I would much rather save on the tip and give it to a homeless person instead. If only society didn't make me feel obligated to tip every waiter etc, I would probably never tip and instead give it to charity.
    Your lack of rationality baffles me. You'd rather not pay working people fairly and give money away? So waiters should just quit their jobs and become homeless?

    I think your logic is made of fail, no offense. I believe in charity, and I like to help people, but preferring charity over working class people who are TRYING to make it, and who are being screwed over by companies they are working for...it's just not rational.

    Even if you were a Marxist this isn't rational. Marx believed everyone should do their part, though he believed in communism.

    And Ti is supposed to be one of your top two functions?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Your lack of rationality baffles me. You'd rather not pay working people fairly and give money away? So waiters should just quit their jobs and become homeless?

    I think your logic is made of fail, no offense. I believe in charity, and I like to help people, but preferring charity over working class people who are TRYING to make it, and who are being screwed over by companies they are working for...it's just not rational.

    Even if you were a Marxist this isn't rational. Marx believed everyone should do their part, though he believed in communism.

    And Ti is supposed to be one of your top two functions?
    Talk about over-reacting.

    Tipping is pay on top of earnings -- it's a gratuity -- privilege and not a right.

    Waiters aren't exactly working for free are they? So why tip them.

  10. #10
    defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Talk about over-reacting.

    Tipping is pay on top of earnings -- it's a gratuity -- privilege and not a right.

    Waiters aren't exactly working for free are they? So why tip them.
    Waiters are usually working for about $2 an hour, after taxes. It's certainly not a living wage. In a "perfect" capitalist system, it's just a clever way to solve the agency problem, but when people don't tip adequately then it's the waitstaff and not the owners who suffer.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

    Johari -- Nohari

    Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The GHOST thread
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
  4. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO