User Tag List

First 56789 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Shows what you know. Who gets the food and brings it to you? The servers.
    Yes and are they not paid at all by employers? Or are they hired without expectation to be paid? Regardless of amount.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Occasionally I will eat at Subway. I've noticed that every Subway that I've ate at has a tip container beside the register nowadays. I don't tip at Subway. I remember eating at different Subways back in the 1990's and never seeing these tip containers. I find it odd that all of a sudden a food business chain will start up a gratuity trend when they didn't begin that way. It seems like I started seeing these Subway tip containers towards the end of the 1990's start popping up at different Subways here and there until all Subways had them. I see Subway in the same view as other food chains such as McDonalds, Burger King, ect. even though Subway is a lot healthier. The Subway food chain might take the stance of thinking that since they are healthier than others that they are doing a better service to the community by offering a healthier alternative and therefore can play upon the conscience of their patrons to tip their employees, BUT... if this is the case, what about all of those years when Subway didn't have those tip containers beside the cash register ? That's why I won't tip at Subway and feel justified in not tipping there.

I feel that if your eating at a place where your food and drink is brought out to you at the table your sitting at and your drink is topped off by the waiter/server , then tipping is justified if the service is good. I'm not a slave driver and have often politely told the waiter/server up front> "keep me in tea and you will be tipped", and 99% of the time they never let me run out of tea, and I've had waiter/servers bring me 2 glasses of tea after telling them that without even asking them for 2 glasses, even a few times had the waiter/server just leave a whole pitcher of tea on my table to help myself ! I guess it shows they want that tip which doesn't bother me and when they keep me in tea no matter the means in which they choose, I tip them.

I've had my order messed up which doesn't bother me that much, had to wait a while if business was thriving and that still doesn't bother me much. Running out of tea is really my only pet peeve when eating at a food place where tipping is the norm and your drink is at the mercy of the waiter/server. I believe in 25% - 30% tipping range at restaurants.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In Brazil we have fixed commissions for restaurants - 10%. I think it's a win-win, for the most part. It doesn't leave us wondering how much we should tip in order for the waiters to have a decent income, and things get more manageable for the owners and more stable for the waiters.
    If I don't like the service, I pay 10% once but never come back, so the stimulus to efficiency is still there.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Yes and are they not paid at all by employers? Or are they hired without expectation to be paid? Regardless of amount.
    In the US, they are paid a lower wage knowing that their income is supplemented by tips. What does that have to do with non-tippers taking advantage of a system they don't believe in?
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    In the US, they are paid a lower wage knowing that their income is supplemented by tips. What does that have to do with non-tippers taking advantage of a system they don't believe in?
    If companies expected customers to pay the rest, they would've made it a mandatory part of the bill, like some restaurants already do. The reasoning of "knowing that income is supplemented by tips" does not mean it is okay to pay your employees low wages nor does it mean that customers are expected to pay the rest. If this is assumed by employers, then it still does not justify the expectation of a customer to pay a tip on behalf of the employer. Tips are not mandatory nor expected. A person not giving a tip does not make them an asshole, especially if the service does not meet professional expectation.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

So all these non-tippers are going to protest and write their senators about the injustice of server wages? I won't hold my breath.

Anyone who goes out to eat at a restaurant and is provided excellent service and knows that tipping is customary practice and they refuse to tip, well they are at least hypocritical. (and yes, to me, it makes them assholes).

They indulge in the comforts of being served and yet will not reward those efforts. How very Marie Antoinette of them. Let them eat cake! Lol. If you believe that you shouldn't have to tip go to fast food/self serve locations where the workers get minimum wage and your values coincide with your political ideals.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ?

Did you not read the part where I stated that they're paid to serve and wait? They're not the cooks, they"re the waiters. It is not the customers responsibility to make sure their employers pay them accordingly, it is the governments.
    i get what you are saying, but it is designed to make it the consumer's responsibility. especially since the tip you're giving is providing for more than just the server's income.

MBTI
    ?

If companies expected customers to pay the rest, they would've made it a mandatory part of the bill, like some restaurants already do. The reasoning of "knowing that income is supplemented by tips" does not mean it is okay to pay your employees low wages nor does it mean that customers are expected to pay the rest. If this is assumed by employers, then it still does not justify the expectation of a customer to pay a tip on behalf of the employer. Tips are not mandatory nor expected. A person not giving a tip does not make them an asshole, especially if the service does not meet professional expectation.
    Refer to an earlier post of mine. It is set up so that you are relying off of tips. They only pay you enough to make min wage. If you exceed that, your check iz $0. Some places servers don't have it that hard; the job is very undemanding, other places, the job takes a physical toll so 20% is not unreasonable considering the work put in... although i think you mentioned agreeing with 20% for good service..

p.s. i accidentally posted this one too soon so you may have gotten the wrong idea.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by EntangledLight View Post
    i get what you are saying, but it is designed to make it the consumer's responsibility. especially since the tip you're giving is providing for more than just the server's income.
    It's not a responsibility nor an obligation, it is an customary expectation. Otherwise, it would be part of the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by EntangledLight View Post
    Refer to an earlier post of mine. It is set up so that you are relying off of tips. They only pay you enough to make min wage. If you exceed that, your check iz $0.
    Again, this is not the customers fault nor responsibility. It is the employers.

MBTI
    ?

Oh yeah, and not tipping means they just payed to wait on you; again mentioned in my earlier post.