User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

@Phoenix. I'm going to pick on you here. Excuse me because I just got home from a 14 hour shift where I sat down for an entire 30 minutes.

Go work in a restaurant and serve for six months then speak about unfairness or idealistic views. Hey, in a perfect world customers I wait on would say thank you and please when they needed something. They wouldn't snap their fingers, be demanding, obnoxious with crude or jokingly sexual remarks I have to "laugh off" because as a server I can't call you an asshole when you are being one. In my world, I wouldn't expend lots of energy to provide excellent service because I would know by sight who tips and who doesn't and I could refuse service to those who don't.

Ppfft.

You will leave that job knowing 20% is fair.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That's an entirely different point. What I said was hard to legislate is how much profit a business could/should be entitled to make. It's easy to implement a higher minimum wage if the will is there.
    ^ this is the deciding factor. sadly, in "seat of power"--whatever that actually is (and no, the president isn't the true seat of power, he just shares and is subject to a good portion of it... not that he does or doesn't care)--this isn't a major concern. i think the main concern is, like it is to all countries to a varying degree, power; it just so happens that in a hypothetical pie chart of the interests, power and the furthering of power would take at least 75% of that figurative chart.

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by EntangledLight View Post
    ^ this is the deciding factor. sadly, in "seat of power"--whatever that actually is (and no, the president isn't the true seat of power, he just shares and is subject to a good portion of it... not that he does or doesn't care)--this isn't a major concern. i think the main concern is, like it is to all countries to a varying degree, power; it just so happens that in a hypothetical pie chart of the interests, power and the furthering of power would take at least 75% of that figurative chart.
    [YOUTUBE="V4sbYy0WdGQ"]Mr Pink[/YOUTUBE]
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ?

to other servers, and customers:

something that i've noticed about customer interaction and tipping is that sometimes it doesn't matter how well you do your job despite the fact that the customer was an asshole, they ran you like crazy, their own stupidity made the situation harder on them but alerting them to this fact would cause a "stiffing" to ensue so you worked extra hard to do away with and to hide that particular fact... (inhale for the next run-on sentence) while some jerk-off who purposefully neglects a table get's a massive tip because he/she is a good salesmen/women, or is just good at manipulating people on the spot/playing the crowd...

that something that i've noticed is that people almost buy into the "circus-like" aspect of the restaurant, as if you're there for their entertainment as well your usual duties. i've tried it before, i'm terrible at it, but others... their table can without a refill for like 15 minutes while they're eating and all the person has to do is to swing by and be as fake as possible... how do they not see through that, or notice the reality of the situation? i guess this job is better suited for those who can make strangers immediately like them, and is centered around being a performer instead of providing a "service".

eh, thoughts?

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    [YOUTUBE="V4sbYy0WdGQ"]Mr Pink[/YOUTUBE]
    ... lol...

yep, that's the go-to-line of the ISTJ friend i was talking about.

edit: "tipping's for the birds"

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It still boggles my mind that this sort of thing can go on in an ostensibly "developed" country.

In the UK, 10% is usual, presumably because minimum wage is... well, it's the minimum. I get irritated when I'm out with people who insist on paying exactly 10% and not a penny more. Seems stingy. When I was working behind a bar, I very rarely got tips, but when I did it could brighten my evening, and I wasn't even being paid less than minimum wage. If I'm afloat enough to be eating out, it seems only fair.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

figsfiggyfigs

It's not the customers responsibility to pay for a service a company hired the waiter to do, it isn't their problem if the company under-pays their workers. The customer pays for the food the waiters were hired(paid) to serve. However, the argument of "you're also paying for service" has its merits.

Plenty of restaurants add the tip to the bill itself. I hate when I get incredibly crappy service, and I'm expected to pay. The worst part is not knowing how much to tip; I usually go 15%-20% avrg. Personally, I like tipping because I know it's a bit of help in the long run; especially if they were great, I'd double it, but I also understand if someone else d refuses it. I might not like that they don't tip, but I get it.
    My sister is one of those that does not like tipping. I always end up tipping after her when we go out. I've taught(still teaching) my parents to tip, so there goes the old stereotype about foreigners being bad tippers.

It is not necessary in Europe, I don't think; I've never seen it happen while here and heard that the workers are not underpaid; however, in other places like Canada, USA, and even the Middle East, it is custom and expected.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    It's not the customers responsibility to pay for a service a company hired the waiter to do, it isn't their problem if the company under-pays their workers. The customer pays for the food the waiters were hired(paid) to serve. However, the argument of "you're also paying for service" has its merits.
    If you were just paying for the food then by all means get it yourself. It's in the kitchen. The drinks are behind the bar. Pour it yourself.

Basically, if you eat at an establishment where someone is providing these services you should tip, as per the custom to your own country. If you decide to go out to eat and don't like the idea of tipping stick to fast food restaurants and self-serve places.

Non-tippers who take advantage of the generosity of a system which they feel is unfair, but indulge in it's comforts are downright hypocritical and are top of the line asshats.
    ~luck favors the ready~

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    If you were just paying for the food then by all means get it yourself. It's in the kitchen. The drinks are behind the bar. Pour it yourself.

Basically, if you eat at an establishment where someone is providing these services you should tip, as per the custom to your own country. If you decide to go out to eat and don't like the idea of tipping stick to fast food restaurants and self-serve places.

Non-tippers who take advantage of the generosity of a system which they feel is unfair but indulge in it's comforts are downright hypocritical and are top of the line asses.
    Did you not read the part where I stated that they're paid to serve and wait? They're not the cooks, they"re the waiters. It is not the customers responsibility to make sure their employers pay them accordingly, it is the governments.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Did you not read the part where I stated that they're paid to serve and wait? They're not the cooks, they"re the waiters. It is not the customers responsibility to make sure their employers pay them accordingly, it is the governments.
    Shows what you know. Who gets the food and brings it to you? The servers.
    ~luck favors the ready~