User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Gold Coin

Insert witty line here... Array Ponyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Just interested to hear everyone's thoughts, unravel the moral semantics. The decision on what to do has already been made.
    So this whole thread was just for your amusement? Ok, well if the decision was already made then at least fill us in on what THE DECISION was!!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Generally you have to return mislaid property to the owner if you know who it is, but here it might be considered included in the sale of the house. If it was indeed legally conveyed to you with the rest of the property than I think you are free to do as you wish.

Property is a benefit to an owner and a responsibility. If an owner of property does not take responsibility for it then they risk losing the benefit of the property. Here the old women did not take proper responsibility for her gold coin and she has lost the benefit of possessing it.

If it is legally yours then you shouldn't give it back out of guilt or a sense of moral compulsion. Only give it back if you decide you want to do an act of kindness for an elderly neighbor who was a little forgetful. But, if you decide that the coin makes up for hidden repair costs that were not accounted for in the sales price then I wouldn't feel bad about keeping it as long as it was legal to do so.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

3w2 so

Well its only worth $1,000 so you can give it back, if it was $100,000 it would be different

No as a rule of thumb, you shouldnt ever steal or do something like that. Not because its the law, the law can suck it, but because you would feel bad later on when you steal. And if you dont feel bad later on, you have no conciencse anyways, therefore steal away
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    But the semantics are what's of interest here.

Let's say you prayed to the powers of the universe to send you a thousand dollars so you could afford a medical procedure, and *poof* you find the coin. Is this an answer to prayer, or karmic temptation?

There are shades of grey to me but to you it seems pretty black and white then?
    I don't understand what dressing up this situation into different outfits does to change the essence. The basic distilled down element of this situation is: I found an item, what do I do with it? Any additional layers are their own separate issues.

Just my opinion, PB. I don't mean any disrespect to you.

937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Just my opinion, PB. I don't mean any disrespect to you.
    None taken.

Interesting that some folks think I am asking for advice though.

Mostly I am interested to see if this seems simple or complex to people; black & white or shaded with grey.

Was the OP enough information, or would people want more information before deciding?

Moral discussions can get kind of touchy, but I wanted to explore it.

To me, the return of the coin is not necessarily karmically simple.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching