User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: The Gold Coin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    So, would you keep the coin or return it?

And why?
    Sell it, free cash is pretty rare to come by.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@PeaceBaby, did SHE know the house had problems and stick you with them or did she to the best of her knowledge notify you of what you were getting into?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

To you both: Are there any circumstances where you would not return the coin?
    If she was dead.

She bought it herself and did not sell it to you specifically, so as far as I'm concerned it's her property be default.

If I bought a used car from a private party and some time later found a wad of cash when I was vacuuming the interior, I would take it to the previous owner because I'd know that's where it came from and that he/she did not specifically say I could have it.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

She probably never even knew it was there. Sorry, but from what I understand I don't think she's been high up in the cupboards hiding stuff lately.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Keep the coin. Gold is on a rise.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is a true story.

We bought a fix-me-upper house about three years ago. It's costing us some serious cash. While doing the renovations we recently found a small brown box shoved to the back of a tall cupboard shelf.

Inside the box was a gold coin:

Wonderful, eh? Current value of the coin is about $1000 USD.

Also inside the box was a receipt from the purchase of the coin and purchaser of the coin was the lady we bought the house from. She's retired and lives in a small assisted living community in our neighborhood. There's no doubt it was hers.

And why?
    Give it to her, it's obviously hers.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I want to hear more about what makes a jerk a jerk ... share more. What makes a person deserving?
    The example which I think corresponds the most to this instance would be whether or not they tried to rip you off during the sale or were discourteous or nasty in the process of the sale.

My brother bought a flat from someone in belfast, I think I would have been a tougher negotiater in terms of the fixtures and fittings, including a mirror and curtains. The guy was really trying to screw money out of my brother and kept adding to the final sale price in any way he could. Small amounts which all added up and I'd have told him take his curtains and mirror etc. and shove them away before the brother did. He actually didnt and he was on a serious guilt trip about how he wouldnt pay top dollar for this stupid coffee table and something else which the guy was, to my mind, wanting to "dump" with the apartment and cash in in the process.

Well, when my brother moved in he discovered that the mirror, which is fitted to the wall and the previous owner could not remove was damaged, apparently by someone attempting to remove it unsuccessfully he contacted the guy and he basically told him he could go sing, my brother told him, well, he wasnt going to get the curtains etc. and the guy told him he wasnt going to take them anyway, thanks for the additional cash he had ponyed up in the mean time.

Now if I found anything of value in the flat, gold coins or anything, I dont know, magic lamp or ring, its my brother's I'm damn sure of that. That guy really and truly was an ass. If I was a prejudiced individual I would take his behaviour to representative of his social class, or the airs and graces he put on anyway, or the community he was from but I'm not so I wont. Definitely an ass though.

Another example would be from a time I visited Edinburgh, I was on the bus and this guy was being a real loud mouth, spoiling the tour for everyone else and threatened this elderly couple, gets up out of his seat and leaves his wallet. I handed it to the conductor but I took a finders fee. He was an asshole too.

People should exact their own asshole taxes when they can.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The example which I think corresponds the most to this instance would be whether or not they tried to rip you off during the sale or were discourteous or nasty in the process of the sale.

My brother bought a flat from someone in belfast, I think I would have been a tougher negotiater in terms of the fixtures and fittings, including a mirror and curtains. The guy was really trying to screw money out of my brother and kept adding to the final sale price in any way he could. Small amounts which all added up and I'd have told him take his curtains and mirror etc. and shove them away before the brother did. He actually didnt and he was on a serious guilt trip about how he wouldnt pay top dollar for this stupid coffee table and something else which the guy was, to my mind, wanting to "dump" with the apartment and cash in in the process.

Well, when my brother moved in he discovered that the mirror, which is fitted to the wall and the previous owner could not remove was damaged, apparently by someone attempting to remove it unsuccessfully he contacted the guy and he basically told him he could go sing, my brother told him, well, he wasnt going to get the curtains etc. and the guy told him he wasnt going to take them anyway, thanks for the additional cash he had ponyed up in the mean time.

Now if I found anything of value in the flat, gold coins or anything, I dont know, magic lamp or ring, its my brother's I'm damn sure of that. That guy really and truly was an ass. If I was a prejudiced individual I would take his behaviour to representative of his social class, or the airs and graces he put on anyway, or the community he was from but I'm not so I wont. Definitely an ass though.

Another example would be from a time I visited Edinburgh, I was on the bus and this guy was being a real loud mouth, spoiling the tour for everyone else and threatened this elderly couple, gets up out of his seat and leaves his wallet. I handed it to the conductor but I took a finders fee. He was an asshole too.

People should exact their own asshole taxes when they can.
    This reminds me of when we sold our first house. The guy who buys it complains about this old chalkboard that was in the basement. I said it comes with the house and it was there when we bought it. He said, "no it doesn't" and was a real jerk about it. I finally asked him if he'd like me to help him carry it to the curb to throw it out. So, we do that. I've always remembered what an asshole that guy was though. I think if you buy a house, you get what's in it. It includes the fixtures, appliances, safe in the wall, gold coins in the cupboard - whatever is there.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I'd give it back to her.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Phantonym

And why?
    Return it. I'd have seriously guilty conscience if I kept it. It just wouldn't feel right to keep it. And when I'd think about the history of the coin and the lady who bought it, what the reasons might have been and what it might mean to her, there's just no doubt about what to do with it.