User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: The Gold Coin

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

My first thougt was to return it but then I thought about it more. If I had to return something valuable then I think I would also give her every little thing that was left behind. "Here's your gold coin, your dirty old mattress, and 3 broken vases". Its yours, you bought the house and the garbage left behind, doesn't matter if the garbage happens to be worth something. Consider it a cleaning fee.

Edit: Just noticed the part about 3 years...ya, its yours!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Most of the time I return found money or hand it in to the police, especially if I dont know the people involved, although if I know the people and they are jerks in anyway what so ever I'm keeping it. I dont believe that people who are jerks deserve to be happy or have things. Its as simple as that. There's a bunch of important caveats, for instance being a jerk isnt simply holding a different world view or opinions or being a different social class, from another community or anything like that, its also going to involve more than behaving in a manner directly attributable to having lost something or simply having a bad day.

In my own thinking this is a simple thing which I personally can do to try and eliminate negativity or provide an "option for" positive behaviour instead. If I won the lottery I'd probably travel the country and leave obscene tips to anyone who was casually polite or well mannered in their interaction with me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I would return it because she's elderly and is not wealthy, and I know who it belongs to.
    Perhaps she is wealthy though ... if I was less wealthy, and she more, would that affect the balance of the equation any? What amount of money could be the tipping point to return or keep?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I'd return it to the woman because it's hers. Not mine. Is this a trick question?
    In purchasing the house, we bought all of the the assets + all of the liabilities ... including a hefty bill for unexpected mold clean-up ... does that change anything in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Why would you do that if she doesn't want it? That's refusing someone's gift. That upsets some people.
    Indeed. Perhaps she knew the house was so full of problems she left the coin as some kind of financial and moral recompense? Or some kind of moral test?

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Because she may not understand what it's worth due to infirmity.
    Does elderly necessarily equate to infirmity? She's in assisted living not a nursing home, meaning she still is active, and mentally competent.

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I'd return it. Because that's just how I'm wired, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    I'd return it because it's hers.
    To you both: Are there any circumstances where you would not return the coin?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    My first thougt was to return it but then I thought about it more. If I had to return something valuable then I think I would also give her every little thing that was left behind. "Here's your gold coin, your dirty old mattress, and 3 broken vases". Its yours, you bought the house and the garbage left behind, doesn't matter if the garbage happens to be worth something. Consider it a cleaning fee.

Edit: Just noticed the part about 3 years...ya, its yours!
    There was only an old table left behind. And the coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    ...although if I know the people and they are jerks in anyway what so ever I'm keeping it.
    I want to hear more about what makes a jerk a jerk ... share more. What makes a person deserving?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Are there any circumstances where you would not return the coin?
    Not that I can think of right now. I just find it difficult to keep the coin or the money because it doesn't belong to me. Then again, you mentioned that when you bought the house, you bought all the assets and liabilities. This definitely changes things.

Keep the loot!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@PeaceBaby

She's obviously not extraordinarily wealthy, or she'd still be living in her house with a full service staff or something.

However, past a certain point of wealth, $1000 is nothing to a person, and no, I don't really care if they lose something that would be like me losing a dollar.

It's a matter of guilt, really. I would only feel guilty if I could rationalize the person actually needed the money.

Otherwise, they left it behind, haven't called about it, it's been there for years? To me that's a case of finders keepers.

Note that I'm not advocating thievery, I'm saying...it must not be that important if it was there that long.

But if it's an old lady who may suffer if she doesn't have that money in the future, then in any kind of moral relativity I couldn't rationalize keeping it, it would be cruel.

This is interesting to me, because there is no answer.. right away, and there may never be. But!

I would sleep on it, and if it were my first thought in the morning (with me though, it probably would be more like 2 AM) if I felt 'good' or 'bad' I would pay attention to that. If I felt neutral (which I probably would) .. then I have no idea. Good luck in your question.

** So unhelpful, I know.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

In purchasing the house, we bought all of the the assets + all of the liabilities ... including a hefty bill for unexpected mold clean-up ... does that change anything in your mind?
    No.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

There was only an old table left behind. And the coin.
    They're yours! hey, maybe the old table is wobbly and the coin was meant to put under a leg for balance! I still think the coin is yours....use it towards fixing up the house. That's an even trade. I doubt she would want to see the house in disrepair!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You bought the house 3 years ago. She doesn't seem to care much about the coin. I'd take it. Moralists gonna hate.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is a true story.

We bought a fix-me-upper house about three years ago. It's costing us some serious cash. While doing the renovations we recently found a small brown box shoved to the back of a tall cupboard shelf.

Inside the box was a gold coin:

Wonderful, eh? Current value of the coin is about $1000 USD.

Also inside the box was a receipt from the purchase of the coin and purchaser of the coin was the lady we bought the house from. She's retired and lives in a small assisted living community in our neighborhood. There's no doubt it was hers.

So, would you keep the coin or return it?

And why?
    I would keep it and not sell it. Don't think she'll miss it. Doesn't matter much either way though.

Why? I don't know. It's sort of tied to the history of the house or something.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639