User Tag List

View Poll Results: Where should blame lay?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • With myself, I should explain more fully/clearer/etc.

12 60.00%
  • With my audience as they are not up to the task of understanding me.

3 15.00%
  • With me, as I chose the audience poorly.

5 25.00%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    If you speak and are misunderstood by someone is it your fault for not being clear in your thoughts? Or does the fault lie with the other person for being inadequate to the task of understanding?
    Good communication is the responsibility of both parties, but since I can only control my own contributions to the situation, I normally think about what I could have done differently or how I can rephrase things or come from a different angle if there is still a chance to come to an understanding. I can't really bother myself with what the other person's issues are I just have to keep trying (within reason).

So based on that I'm probably closest to your first poll option, but I don't think any of them fit me exactly.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I agree w @Sneaky Bastard. However, I think the probability of misunderstandig increases with "level of difference." This can be approximated demographically, but I think what goes on on the molecular level is more important.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It depends. In a personal misunderstanding - especially a misunderstanding on-line, which eclipses things like tone and facial expression - sometimes there is nothing you could have done or said to make the person believe you.

And sometimes you keep explaining and the person just hates you more, the more you explain.

However in a debate, the burden of proof lies upon you to explain your position more clearly, if you care to.

I never feel, though, that I owe anyone an explanation if they've personally attacked me, then it becomes a personal misunderstanding, then all bets are off.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It depends. In a personal misunderstanding - especially a misunderstanding on-line, which eclipses things like tone and facial expression - sometimes there is nothing you could have done or said to make the person believe you.

And sometimes you keep explaining and the person just hates you more, the more you explain.

However in a debate, the burden of proof lies upon you to explain your position more clearly, if you care to.
    Quoted for truth.

Sometimes, though, the other party in a debate may use a personal misunderstanding against you. Which usually indicates /end constructive debate, begin flame war.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think this depends on each circumstance too. If things start to get heated, people get more defensive and more prone to blame the other.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

If you speak and are misunderstood by someone is it your fault for not being clear in your thoughts? Or does the fault lie with the other person for being inadequate to the task of understanding?
    I believe this has to do with the unseen cost of not understanding. Because too many steps in the process of understanding another = so many degrees of separation that, then what is left is misunderstanding.

Enough transparency is important that no burden is needed. In other words, expressing to the respected other that they are then able to gather enough to understand.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    It's not that easy and depends upon each individual situation.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Old chinese saying says: “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Old chinese saying says: “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”
    Sweet quote.

Anyways, in the case of a misunderstanding, I'll always take it upon myself to clarify, but I also tend to assume that I'm the problem. My audience generally isn't stupid, and not terribly dogmatic, either, so I can't really blame them.

Glycerine

Both. The communicator needs to communicate clearly but the audience has to be willing to listen to what the speaker actually says instead of just automatically assuming their own interpretation of what's being said is accurate. People can be horrid listeners (as well as communicators).