User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default How many of these do you buy used?

I get irritated when I see alarmist articles.. "DONT BUY THAT USED!! GROSS PEOPLE'S FEET WERE IN THOSE!" I can almost understand not wanting to spread bed bugs on mattresses, but a proper bed-bug cover and sanitation process would quickly fix any problems you were worried about.

I've bought almost everything on this list used, or got it for free and used it. I think make up would be the exception. How many of these have you bought used, or do you feel you agree with the article?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-thi...055528806.html

Cribs
    Car seats
    Helmets
    Laptops
    Video Cameras
    Mattresses
    Shoes
    Make up
    Plasma HDTVs
    Hats
    Swimsuits
    Vacuums
    Tires
    Software
    DVD Players
    Stuffed Animals
    Halogen Lamps
    Blenders
    Costume Jewelry
    Pet food and treats
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Feakin texans man
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

I feel like the writer is WAY too paranoid about used stuff. Probably just being paid to come up with some "non-obvious" list points so there's an added shock value to the article.

As an aside, I love this comment:

If one is dumb enough to buy used underclothing then there is no hope for them. They will not take heed and will just do it anyway, oblivious to the danger.
    Like people who buy used underwear are savage heathens beyond all hope.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've bolded the one I have brought or would consider buying used.

Cribs
    Car seats (I don't have children and probably never will but I don't see a problem with these two)
    Helmets
    Laptops
    Video Cameras

Mattresses (kinda gross. Isn't there a law against selling your used mattress)
    Shoes
    Make up
    Plasma HDTVs
    Hats
    Swimsuits
    Vacuums
    Tires
    Software
    DVD Players

Stuffed Animals (I think these would be germy, the little kid probably drooled all over it. Harder to clean too)
    Halogen Lamps
    Blenders
    Costume Jewelry

Pet food and treats

I'm kind of wary about certain articles of used clothing. I have brought used shirts and pants before in garage sales and just washed them thoroughly a couple times before wearing them myself. Other than that I'm open to buying most things used as long as I know they work well and are easy to clean.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cribs - never bought one, but would
    Car seats - ditto
    Helmets - never have, but I suppose I would
    Laptops - sure
    Video Cameras - sure
    Mattresses - I did in college, but I think it DID have bedbugs, so probably wouldn't again
    Shoes - have, will again
    Make up - no
    Plasma HDTVs - sure
    Hats - possibly. Depends on the material that hat is made from
    Swimsuits - no
    Vacuums - sure
    Tires - sure
    Software - probably not... license issues
    DVD Players - sure
    Stuffed Animals - maybe... again, depends on the source
    Halogen Lamps - maybe
    Blenders - no, probably not
    Costume Jewelry - have, probably will again
    Pet food and treats - no
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Cribs - would, if they were up to modern safety standards (often iffy)
    Car seats - would, if clean and up to safety standards
    Helmets - would not - no way to know if they've been dropped or even in an accident. Plus they're not very expensive new.
    Laptops - would not, they're pretty cheap new and they don't last much longer than a few years, unless I got an amazing deal on a very new one (unlikely).
    Video Cameras - sure, but I probably wouldn't actively seek one out, too much effort with too much potential for it to break
    Mattresses - never, ever. bedbugs are AWFUL and I would never trust a cover to contain bed bugs - a tiny rip will let them out, and it's easy to rip it while moving. But if I know they don't have bed bugs, sure.
    Shoes - all the time. probably buy more used than new.
    Make up - I'd borrow a friend's, but buy used? why on earth? makeup isn't that expensive.
    Plasma HDTVs - probably not, although this isn't that rational. I'd be worried about it breaking and having warranty issues if I wasn't the original owner.
    Hats - possibly, but I already hate hats, and new hats are like 10$ anyway.
    Swimsuits - wouldn't buy used, but have gotten them used from friends.
    Vacuums - don't own one, not opposed to used but probably wouldn't bother
    Tires - no idea, don't have a car
    Software - sure
    DVD Players - doubt I will ever own one again
    Stuffed Animals - friends yes, random stranger no
    Halogen Lamps - sure, why not?
    Blenders - sure, but probably wouldn't bother
    Costume Jewelry - have done this
    Pet food and treats - have never heard of such a thing, not opposed but why??

Mostly it doesn't seem like the effort/potential for things breaking is really worth it for things you can buy for <20$ new. I like thrifting for clothes and most of these things I'd buy used if I happened across a sale somewhere (not mattress or swimsuits though) but I doubt I'd actively cruise craigslist or something for them. Saving 10$ isn't worth that much time and hassle, I'd rather just not buy the thing at all or buy it new.
    -end of thread-

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I buy used panties... Wait, no, I mean. I don't really. I just... Well, technically, there are like these, you know, like, certain circumstances that ehm, sort of contribute to the err, theeeee, the bigger picture! So it's like sort of, ehm, normal. -Ish...

Actually, I don't buy many things used, almost all is new. Last time I bought something used was a looong time ago. :/
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    I feel like the writer is WAY too paranoid about used stuff. Probably just being paid to come up with some "non-obvious" list points so there's an added shock value to the article.

As an aside, I love this comment:

Like people who buy used underwear are savage heathens beyond all hope.
    I enjoyed that one too. Shes probably reeling in her hypoallergenic bedspread at the thought of me sleeping in a mattress used by several (close to 50 id guess) persons before me. :3 ive used make up from others.. while I could see the common sense in not buying some of these from strangers.. ive sold laptops before and never had an issue with it... and while I trust my friends I don't see they are less germy than a stranger.

Unrelated story I got yelled at for shaving my shins in the sink.. I failed to see how that is somehow gross but beard shaving is not nor is washing funk off your hands and spitting God knows what out of your mouth down the sink.. I found it amusing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I get irritated when I see alarmist articles.. DONT BUY THAT USED!! GROSS PEOPLE'S FEET WERE IN THOSE!"
    This would depend on how sexy the gross person is.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Cribs
    Car seats
    Helmets
    Laptops
    Video Cameras
    Mattresses
    Shoes
    Make up
    Plasma HDTVs
    Hats
    Swimsuits
    Vacuums
    Tires
    Software
    DVD Players
    Stuffed Animals
    Halogen Lamps
    Blenders
    Costume Jewelry
    Pet food and treats
    I don't buy used. Except for maybe financing a crib, because most of those are used anyway. Although I look forward to seeing progress on your new hand-built crib in the coming year.

I prefer to buy new because I just like the newness of things, particularly when it involves top-of-the-line electronics. I would not get a used electronic device if it was just released on the market, because chances are that it's defective in some way.

I don't mind spending extra money on new products, because it gives the added bonus of being able to flaunt it.

And buying used tires and used auto parts is never a good idea.

In the case of automobiles, however, I would not want to buy a brand new cargo van, because older ones have more character. Especially something like this. Older vans have more effect on others, unlike newer ones, which are devoid of both life and death.

EDIT: Getting used Real Dolls is not a good idea, either.

The Iron Giant

I like buying used. In many cases, it seems wasteful not to.

Cribs - haven't, but would. Children's equipment just needs to be checked for recalls.
    Car seats - same as above. I once bought a child carrier at a garage sale for $10, checked online for recalls and found it had been recalled. I called the company and they insisted on refunding me the full retail purchase price of the carrier and pay shipping for me to send it to them. I guessed from their eagerness that these carriers explode when a child is placed in them or something. Anyway, a win. I paid $10, they paid me $75 to mail it to them.
    Helmets - Haven't but would.
    Laptops - Haven't but would, as long as it's got some kind of protection on it (PayPal, etc).
    Video Cameras - Have.
    Mattresses - Haven't, but if it were in good enough condition, I think I would.
    Shoes - No.
    Make up - No.
    Plasma HDTVs - Haven't, but would, as long as it's not too old. Until a few years ago Plasma sets had a really short lifespan.
    Hats - I guess, if I wore hats. I'd probably look pretty great in a suit and fedora.
    Swimsuits - No.
    Vacuums - Have.
    Tires - Have.
    Software - Have, many times.
    DVD Players - Have.
    Stuffed Animals - Have.
    Halogen Lamps - Haven't, but would.
    Blenders - Haven't, but would. I've bought other small appliances at yard sales.
    Costume Jewelry - Have.
    Pet food and treats - Have.