MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default NH Woman Survived Bear Attack - Rescued By Pet Dog

::Posted: Jun 18, 2012 7:21 AM EDT
    Updated: Jun 18, 2012 7:21 AM EDT
    Source: NewsCore

GRAFTON, N.H. -- A New Hampshire woman survived a bear attack thanks to her pet dog Kai, FOX station WFXT reported Monday.

Tracey Colburn, 46, said she had just finished a pot roast dinner Saturday night when the dog needed to go outside to use the bathroom.

As Colburn opened the door of her Grafton, N.H., home, she was confronted with a massive black bear standing on the front porch, alongside her cubs.

"She [the bear] was very, very angry and aggressive," Colburn told station WMUR.

Kai, an eight-year-old husky-Lab mix, leaped at the mother bear in a bid to protect his owner.

Colburn said the bear took a swipe at her when she ran out onto the porch as it mauled Kai.

"That's when I thought, 'I'm going to die," she told WFXT.

At that point, Kai repeatedly bit the bear, giving Colburn enough time to escape.

She suffered injuries to both arms and received 25 stitches. Kai has been limping since the attack but otherwise appears fine, the report stated.

"The bear would have killed me ... he [Kai] saved my life," Colburn added.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1881222...#ixzz1z11GNCpn ::

..on the front porch.. seems like they're getting far too accustomed to humans.

This is only about 2hrs from my residence..
    Welp, so much for dragging my INTP friend camping- we're not attentive enough to notice the wildlife.. and neither of us own a dog.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I wish it gave more details as to where she lived, because this would be a lot more weird if she lived in a subdivision or something as opposed to a cabin in the woods. And we're pretty much left guessing as to which is the case.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I love dogs. there is a depth to their loyalty that is inspiring.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Depth? It just seems like single-mindedness to me. The loyalty normally given to the pack is given to the human as the head of the pack, and the dog doesn't rethink it regardless of circumstance.

(not diminishing it, though. It's a very selfless response, and/or treating the other person as an extensive of self and defending it.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I wish it gave more details as to where she lived, because this would be a lot more weird if she lived in a subdivision or something as opposed to a cabin in the woods. And we're pretty much left guessing as to which is the case.
    Ah, yeah - gotta thank Fox for only spreading fragments of news.

I might be able to clarify on that - most small New Hampshire towns tend to be a sprinkling of houses in more or less wooded areas. While it's not typically entirely secluded (like a cabin in the woods feel)- the properties can be a bit larger than the average suburban neighborhood, thus the homes are a bit farther apart.

If you look at Google Maps for Grafton, NH, you get a decent aerial view of what I mean.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en

I live in a more densely populated area than this in northern MA- actually ten min from a city- & we've had moose sightings, in the past.

The walls are closing in.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    While I think it's cool they can incorporate other species into their ''pack'' thinking/dynamic- I tend to view it similarly to @Jennifer. It almost feels like loyalty on that level is blind, in a way. Doesn't make it bad, or anything. I guess I have mixed feelings about it. I'd be more than grateful if my dog fought a bear off me, that's for sure.

Dogs... what more can you say. I think they have many higher level emotions. I saw a documentary a while back on the differences between dogs and wolves... fascinating stuff.... they are very different in psychology.

Dog is the spirit animal I get most often on tests.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    While I think it's cool they can incorporate other species into their ''pack'' thinking/dynamic- I tend to view it similarly to Jennifer. It almost feels like loyalty on that level is blind, in a way. Doesn't make it bad, or anything. I guess I have mixed feelings about it. I'd be more than grateful if my dog fought a bear off me, that's for sure.
    Definitely. I'm sure my kitty, as much as I love the little goobhead, would just run off and leave me to my fate.

I'm pleasantly surprised the dog survived the attack, since bears are just unstoppable if they really want to kill you, honestly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mia. View Post
    Dogs... what more can you say. I think they have many higher level emotions. I saw a documentary a while back on the differences between dogs and wolves... fascinating stuff.... they are very different in psychology.

Dog is the spirit animal I get most often on tests.

I always got a bat for my spirit animal..

Pretty sure bats wouldn't do shit for me in a bearfight.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I guess I should have said 'inspiring compared to the indifference offered by most humans, at most times.'
    Maybe some see loyalty as a single-factor, a binary, but I do not. And if dogs didn't so freely offer this, they wouldn't be kept as pets by so many.
    It's a sine qua non, or close.