User Tag List

12 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default Why do we admire what we are not?

Ok I know this is a ridiculously daft question as the answer is fairly obvious....a big glaring: BECUZ WE ENJOYZ DA DIFFARUNCE!!

Oh and because we also notice difference easier and so it becomes something of interest.
    But I just wondered why that should be so. For example I love comically witty skepticism, but I possess none myself, or at least it is not a natural talent of mine.

Oh well it's that old cliche of learning to respect what you can do and what you are.....maybe. Seems a little romantic and blind but maybe it is the truth?

Heh this probably isn't worth discussing, but I suppose that is what the bonfire is for.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

We are wired to devalue what we have and notice the things we do not. It all feeds into our drive to better ourselves, our status, and our situation in life.

What I do notice is that admiration can come from a place of lacking or from a place of growth. It's mainly once we learn to respect what we can do and what we are that we begin to admire traits that lead to growth. Otherwise, we focus on those things that pick at our insecurities.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Partly because of low self-esteem and partly because we appreciate beauty.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Its how we are able to co-exist and forgive and appreciate another so that our race and happiness evolve abundantly. Valuing others who compliment you more than yourself is a sign that you are able to love and grow, so as long as you meet the others half way. Think of all the great business ventures that are partners, the music groups that are groups because of the collective and the team efforts of the individuals. This is the age of collective resources and a melting of boundaries so that self and not-self are obsolete.
    I N V I C T U S

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Its how we are able to co-exist and forgive and appreciate another so that our race and happiness evolve abundantly. Valuing others who compliment you more than yourself is a sign that you are able to love and grow, so as long as you meet the others half way. Think of all the great business ventures that are partners, the music groups that are groups because of the collective and the team efforts of the individuals. This is the age of collective resources and a melting of boundaries so that self and not-self are obsolete.
    Would you say that this admiration also runs very closely with jealousy? So much so that people walk a fine line when in admiration of the abilities of others that can soon turn to envy and then jelousy and then.....etc until it becomes completely self-destructive.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

I don't admire serial killers.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Would you say that this admiration also runs very closely with jealousy? So much so that people walk a fine line when in admiration of the abilities of others that can soon turn to envy and then jelousy and then.....etc until it becomes completely self-destructive.
    Its a temptation. Envy and jealousy are only possible with admiration of another and the inability in one's mind to attain equal or superior beauty. The temptation is also removed when the other person or other people appreciate you as much as you appreciate others and the native accepts this as an enduring truth.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Difference is room for growth. Humans are wired for growth.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Ok I know this is a ridiculously daft question as the answer is fairly obvious....a big glaring: BECUZ WE ENJOYZ DA DIFFARUNCE!!

Oh and because we also notice difference easier and so it becomes something of interest.
    But I just wondered why that should be so. For example I love comically witty skepticism, but I possess none myself, or at least it is not a natural talent of mine.

Oh well it's that old cliche of learning to respect what you can do and what you are.....maybe. Seems a little romantic and blind but maybe it is the truth?

Heh this probably isn't worth discussing, but I suppose that is what the bonfire is for.
    Are you sure? I mean I know a lot of people who just plain hate what they arent.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Because it is what we could become and because it is useful to be able to be whoever you need to be to get where you're going.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.