12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default define hopelessness

how would you define it ?
    How would it be different from hope or despair.
    Do you associate drives with hope ?
    Do you think hope is derived from experience and our ability to project into the future or is hope the kind of desire and trust in change for the (subjective) better?

What is then the effect of an absence of hope to one's decision making and risk taking?

Is it type correlated?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I define hopelessness as admitting utter defeat. No longer seeing the possibility for the future to enfold the way you wish it too.

Despair is not wanting to admit defeat even though you no longer see the possibility for the future to enfold the way you wish it too.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

When I find I have inadvertently wandered into a Lidl.

Look at it:

FUCKING MISERABLE!!!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    When I find I have inadvertently wandered into a Lidl.

Look at it:

FUCKING MISERABLE!!!
    Why ? It's just old people shopping.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I define hopelessness as admitting utter defeat. No longer seeing the possibility for the future to enfold the way you wish it too.

Despair is not wanting to admit defeat even though you no longer see the possibility for the future to enfold the way you wish it too.
    Yeah but see my issue with this is that there is a certain sanctification of hope that tends to assume that as long as you feel it's possible it is in fact possible.
    This way of thinking is, while tempting I'm sure, sort of alien to me. It's like when people tell me they bet 1 pound because they could make 100 in the unlikely event they'll win. I just, don't get it. It's an utterly irrational investment as 'the house always win'. It's a 0 sum game where you are the weakest party.

If you reason and control your plan you don't need any hope, hopelessness or despair. You're just doing what you do and then it's all a statistical spread of success rate based on factors out of your control and micromanagement/tactical management choices you've made while actualizing your general strategy.

There are always going to be factors you can't control. And you should invest based on the degree of influence you can have on the outcomes (if you can't control a situation at all why worry about it past the point at which you can react to it by adjusting strategy or cutting your loses and disengaging from the investment). Then the degree of personal investment should be proportional to the cost/benefit analysis.

And there you go. You're set for an interesting life.

... In theory.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    It's not necessarily the old people, although they do add a certain depressing icing to a very hopeless cake. It's the style of the shop.

They dont even open their packaging, it's like the old cliche of a bloke chucking stuff off the back of a big lorry while it's still moving except that's their entire business plan.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Lets face it; old people are pretty depressing.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Lets face it; old people are pretty depressing.
    Are you religious?
    Do you believe in an after life?

If so its like saying students preparing for final exams are depressing.
    Otherwise Yeah sure. I can see it. But old people are just. Old people. With full lives and stories and maybe they're not what they were but when are we ever what we were or even who that stranger we call we due to the perception of continuity our egos and minds generate.
    It's either sad, or joyful or neither. So frankly, is it really depressing or do you just choose to see it as such?

Switch perspectives, when it's night time here, it's sunny somewhere else. And I hear nowadays we can run faster than the sun

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    It's not necessarily the old people, although they do add a certain depressing icing to a very hopeless cake. It's the style of the shop.

They dont even open their packaging, it's like the old cliche of a bloke chucking stuff off the back of a big lorry while it's still moving except that's their entire business plan.
    Well. If i go to a store personally I dont really care about whether or not its packaged and unpacked as long as the food itself is clean. I find packaging to be a waste of resource most of the time. So Wasting further resource on unpacking and filing the packaging seems like missing the point.
    However, and this might just be me, but I tend to make friends with people at the store, so if they are in an understaffed soul sucking environment it's not going to help the whole friendly and relaxed bit of chat.

So there you go. two diametrically opposed points of view (yet not mutually exclusive, I could think of ways to make that work). Pick your favorite.

It's kind of a red queen race towards the shinnier packaging ever ever balanced by cost. At least low cost supermarkets have the 'balls' to just drop out of the race and take merchandize as it is.
    Now they could turn into something of a green alternative if there was special tax on packing and packaging logistics companies and store were subjected to.
    The double pressure of their economic model and business culture of 'cheapest stuff' and 'easy handling' would encourage them to innovate with instore very basic packing technologies and coupon to create fidelity giving you discounts if you bring all your packing/packaging back.

And I could go on. The world's full of opportunities people

... In theory.

Well what I said was a joke.

I dont really possess any vitriolic hate for Lidl lol. I would agree that hopelessness is when a person loses sight of oppourtunity.

- A.A. Milne.