User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Hah

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    When I'm on vacation, I research things to do in the area in advance... And then when I get there, I like to decide daily what to try and do that day. That way I don't feel pressured to rush through anything for fear of not making it to the next destination on time.
    That's how I do it too. Reading up alot before going gives me a sense of calm when I get there. Then I just roam around the city, picking off a few interesting places I know of when convenient. But I usually end up spending most of my time walking.

I happen to have a pretty good sense of direction, so having been to a location I often slowly stroll back through the city ending up at the hostel or whatever, but making constant detours by choosing streets/neighborhoods I think look interesting. Those are the best moments for me. It's both relaxing and exciting to disconnect my Ti and just let Ne guide me.

A problem I often find frustrating is how difficult it is to leave the tourist experience and get a real taste of the lives of the locals. (If you don't know anyone in town). Even when leaving the tourist routes, going places far off the visitor maps I get a feeling of floating on the surface of the community and wanting to have a greater exchange with the people. I guess that's where you can use something like an ENTP companion to just start up a conversation from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I like having a set destination, and perhaps a general idea of the location of one thing in the area- the public library. Nerdly as it is, I'll admit- it's home, everywhere I wander.

On short trips, I've stopped off at public libraries along the way, to get a break, look up anything that may have come to mind, check out any local interesting things posted. It's usually in the main area of the city/town, so I get to take in a lot. I have a couple guest library cards attached to my keys, now, haha. I suppose they count as my souvenirs.
    That's a great tip! I'll remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    I. CANNOT. DO. ORGANISED. GROUP. TOURS.
    Yea, just seeing one of those little nervous chicken flocks makes me turn around and run.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I am bat shit scared of traveling to Africa, bat shit scared. I'm almost like 'it's not gonna happen' but saying 'sure, let's plan, let's move to Africa' shit. IDK.

I act like me where ever I go though, I'd adapt but, I love to travel, usally...

I once got invited to Germany but the person who invited me got too close/stalkery and disgusting and, I backed out and felt good about doing so... But apart from a fear and worry with Africa or... With Germany, the feeling of revolution towards the person plus... An angst I had about going to Germany and Czech with that person for 10 days and being based in rural Bavaria.
    Sounded like and looked like, nights with no street lights, nothing open and German TV or traveling and stuff and a lot of 'hanky panky and shit' I mean, traveling, I like Philadelphia and I like the suburbs in Pennsylvania and, New Jersey's great too but; different from PA so it's a different sort of great. Since it's America to me, comming from England and everything, it's all good, it's all pretty, yeah, I liked it.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

When traveling overseas, I prefer having a general itinerary planned out and lodging accounted for, so that I am not worrying about finding a place and can just enjoy the travel aspect. By 'general itinerary', I like knowing that I'll be staying in City/Village X for 2 or 3 nights, at lodging Y, and will then be going to City/Village Z for 3 nights, staying in another hostel or pension. I also have an idea of a particular hike I want to do in a certain location, or I know that I'll want to try to hire a local guide to take me to a certain wildlife refuge (which was pretty common to do in South America).

However, if it's a country where I don't think lodging is going to be much of an issue and there will be availability even a few days prior, I'm fine winging it a bit more. When I traveled with a friend through Ecuador several years ago, we took this approach; we didn't have any set plans, aside from a definitive 5-day booking at an eco-lodge in the Amazon, and figured out the before-and-after based on logistics and where we decided we wanted to go, booking lodging in our next destination the day or two before. That worked out really well for that trip.

Regarding WHAT I do in a particular place, like a few other posters, I'm not much interested in most tourist destinations -- i.e. I tend to dislike museums. I also don't usually have any interest in hanging around cities. Also, the early-20's backpacker hostel environment is NOT my thing; don't understand just getting drunk, trying to get laid, and clubbing while traveling the world. There's so much more!!! I like wandering around places and taking them in, because I love photography (most fun to do this in villages in Europe). Also, my other interests lie in nature, so I'm most interested in hiking, going to national parks, etc while traveling. That's the bulk of what I do.

Regarding activity vs. relaxation, I love a mix of both. I get up super early, esp. while traveling, as I'm ancy to get out and see things (also nature is best in the early morning), so I'll often be hiking from 7 or 8am through early afternoon, then the rest of the day I'm quite content sitting on a balcony, at a coffee shop, or eating. Eating and drinking is one of the most pleasurable things I get out of traveling, from a purely kick-back-and-soak-in-the-culture perspective !!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Ah I love to travel, spent 5 straight months last year away from home, with my husband (INTP) and son (1 1/2 years old). Always travel at least a month every year.
    Last year, for two of the months we stayed in one place in south-west france, just living. It was fantastic.
    Love having a base so I don't have to think about where I'm going to sleep that night, and then just exploring a place. No plans, living on pure impulse. Before going somewhere I read up on different things to do in the area, then I have them in my mind as possibilities when we're exploring.

I also really enjoy exploring cities. Getting lost. Going into random shops that catch our interest. Eating random food. Laughing, talking, taking pictures, getting caught in unexpected rainstorms. Amsterdam is fantastic for exploring on foot.

I have the most fantastic memory of our one night in Venice. The boat dropped us off just as a massive thunderstorm hit, rain sheeting down. We had one tiny umbrella that wasn't really big enough for two. Arms around each other, we barely fit. Dusk was coming and the streets were empty. Everything was water and shadows and pooling light. The directions to our hotel were wrong. We wandered for ages, through alleys and bridges and along canals, entranced in the magic. Finally we realized we were completely soaked and stopped to get some hot chocolates and asked how to get to the hotel. Lots of pointing and confusing directions in broken english ensued, but we figured it out. The room was paneled in red velvet and had monstrously ornate gold mirrors. We stayed long enough to change and went back out exploring. The next morning, we woke at dawn and saw the sun rising over St Mark's square. About an hour later the hordes began arriving. So we left.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When I travel my main priority is that I will be safe and not sleeping on the sidewalk. I dont like schedules or attending organized events. Ive stayed in hostels a lot, though I have also stayed in hotels. Hostels are cheaper, give you an opportunity to meet people, and tend to be near cool things, or tell you how to get there.

To me a vacation means being able to choose to do any spontaneous thing I feel like doing, and I like taking advantage of what is directly around me, like exploring.

Ive mostly traveled to be near a particular land mass (the beach, the desert) but Ive also explored art or history museums, historic landmarks, manmade structures, and science centers, just because they happened to be around where I was. Its also how Ive tried different styles of food and wine.

Ive also traveled to visit people, of course.

Ive yet to travel with the sole intention of exploring a foreign city's culture (Ive been to Canada, and that's all outside of the U.S.) but that is in my future plans.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I should also mention that Ive moved on two occasions to U.S. Cities and just ended up where I ended up after the "vacation" part of the trip was over. I tend to have a lot of faith in my ability to survive and improvise once Ive secured shelter for the first days or weeks of my trip.

Its a great way to live, but it would be dangerous to do too often unless I had a ton of money, because there could always be that one time I HAD TO BE HOMELESS, and since Im not a man, I think it would be too risky.

That's part of how I act when I travel.

I also love going places alone. Ive been to St.Louis and Miami totally alone in hotels, no hostel buddies, no travel companion. Of course I had the finances to do that comfortably those two times.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx

Interesting!

The thing also depends on your budget and the time you have available. I usually have very few weeks per year, I have to plan ahead what I gonna do. Sometimes last minute plans are also great, but if you don't have any idea where you're going you can miss a lot of great stuff there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I like visiting new places, and returning to destinations I have enjoyed in the past. I can tolerate a few days in a city, and will enjoy museums, galleries, historical sites, and just walking around the city and (especially overseas) observing the style of architecture, city layout and character, how the public transit works, how the people look and behave, etc. For longer visits, I like to get away from the city to experience the countryside, the landscape, the coast, etc. I, too, enjoy hiking and outdoor time, and can't stand organized tour groups.

I do not like the process of getting there, however, especially if it involves flying. Too many restrictions, intrusions, delays, crowds, and extremely limited ability to influence circumstances and outcomes (can't control what is going on). That being said, I have to travel overseas on occasion for work, and have down to a science what and how to pack, and how to navigate this process to reduce annoyance. I much prefer to drive places and actually enjoy it, even if (especially if?) I am alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    When traveling overseas, I prefer having a general itinerary planned out and lodging accounted for, so that I am not worrying about finding a place and can just enjoy the travel aspect. By 'general itinerary', I like knowing that I'll be staying in City/Village X for 2 or 3 nights, at lodging Y, and will then be going to City/Village Z for 3 nights, staying in another hostel or pension.
    My approach is similar for all travel. Especially on overseas trips, I will do some extremely detailed planning, including how I will get from the airport to the hotel, how the public transit works and what it costs, maps for my hotel area, etc. All of this is readily available online. I research places to visit, including operating hours and admission costs, tour schedules, etc. I scout out restaurants and grocery stores (great way to save money and time). I identify things I know I want to do and see, and make up a schedule based on location and hours. Once I arrive, I will deviate from all this if something interesting comes along, but otherwise I don't waste alot of time figuring out what to do or how to do it. My overseas business trips are usually rather brief, so I have learned to make the most of just a day or two in an interesting location.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I like to travel everywhere.

Safe places, not so safe places.

I try and travel as light as I can, and I try to stay as far away from tour groups as I can.

I like to try and get a feel for the local populous. I go to bars and hole in the wall restaurants. I like activities as well.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My approach is similar for all travel. Especially on overseas trips, I will do some extremely detailed planning, including how I will get from the airport to the hotel, how the public transit works and what it costs, maps for my hotel area, etc. All of this is readily available online. I research places to visit, including operating hours and admission costs, tour schedules, etc. I scout out restaurants and grocery stores (great way to save money and time). I identify things I know I want to do and see, and make up a schedule based on location and hours. Once I arrive, I will deviate from all this if something interesting comes along, but otherwise I don't waste alot of time figuring out what to do or how to do it. My overseas business trips are usually rather brief, so I have learned to make the most of just a day or two in an interesting location.
    I like having the transportation at minimum researched, and preference is to have some or all of it lined up prior to my going. However, once the key logistical things are taken care of or I'm at least aware of everything at a high level, I tend to stop there. I guess I like having the 'framework' taken care of, and then I can fill in the details once I am there.

Anyway... figuring out a lot of the logistical stuff ahead of time allows me to maximize my time while there, as I'm not wasting an hour trying to figure out transport, and don't waste half or full days by being unaware of transport schedules and therefore missing an earlier bus, or something like that.

The trip I took many years ago that took the most logistical planning was going to the greek isles... I spent weeks looking at the crazy ferry schedules, figuring out which islands I'd be able to do in which order (because from starting point A, you might not be able to get to island B, but could get to island B if you started from island C instead, and from C you could only get to B on Tuesdays and Thursdays...it was nuts, but I figured it out. )

Like I said in my first post, sometimes I've winged things a bit more, and in certain places that's ok... but still, I'm almost always lining things up a day or two in advance, and very rarely the day of - at least when it comes to lodging and most transport.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ