User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I had a staph infection on my finger once that was pretty fast-moving and could have been life-theatening or at least limb threatening. And I had a long lasting case of viral pneumonia when I was 22, but I wasn't either extremely young or extremely old, so I don't know if that counts.

Dali

Four years ago while in Malaysia, I contracted this weird viral infection that made me extremely nauseous and I couldn't eat/drink anything for four days. I was eventually admitted to a hospital in a pretty dehydrated state. Apparently, 3 - 5 days without water and you're a goner. I'd gone after a day or two of illness but the doctor hurriedly brushed it off as a minor viral infection and sent me off with barely any medication saying it was self-limiting.

I also got another mystery illness (nausea, fever, blinding headache...) in 2004 that made me lose 9 kilos in 2 weeks and had me bedridden for 1/2 of that time (I'd pass out anytime I tried to stand). That one freaked out my entire family.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The Rhabdo I got that put me in the hospital recently could have killed me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

H3N2 influenza when I was an infant.
    Bacterial pneumonia as a child enough to hospitalize me for a few weeks.
    Heat stroke as a child. I remember them packing me in ice wrapped in a sheet in the ER.
    Placenta abruption- not a disease but it could have killed me.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm not sure I ever have, unless you count things like strep throat that regularly killed people before there were effective antibiotics on the market to treat them. In which case, lots of times, too many to count.

Edit: and a raging kidney infection, same deal as above. Easily treated with antibiotics, but would have killed me 100 years ago.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Besides colds and flu, I have IBD which could kill me, but it's very rare.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Impact Calculus View Post
    About 1,000 times. A cold can kill you.
    This is true.

But, in a more conventional sense, at least a couple times. When I was very young, I contracted the flu and became sick enough that I needed an oxygen tank and had to stay in the hospital for a time. My memory of this event is very hazy, but that's likely the sickest I have ever been. I also recall being very sick with mono (like, fever dreams and almost passing out in class and not enough energy to walk more than a couple blocks sick) though I don't know how deadly that is per se. I've also had strep throat and multiple other cases of different strains of the flu, so... a number of times.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned

Yeah, I've been trying to think of a way to phrase the question such that the "minor" illnesses wouldn't count...but I don't know where to limit it. It is what it is...

I've had viral meningitis, which unlike the bacterial kind isn't as dangerous, but inflammation around your brain is still inflammation around your brain as far as I'm concerned. Could have killed me.

Also got H1N1. Didn't kill me but I was hella sick.

And Rheumatoid Arthritis? It's chronic and with you forever...also it statistically shortens your lifespan pretty drastically if left untreated. Though I don't know if you "catch" it, per se.

WALMART

do you live in a fucking jungle?