First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Im surprised at how many people throw their dreams into their jobs.. I've never had a dream job. No one job would give me immense joy or fulfill my life. It is adventures I want, which only some jobs offer a little bit of..
    The reason is kinda simple, you often have to spend a good chunk of your day and/or week working, so if you're doing something that you're really passionate about and truly enjoy, you might make ends meet + reach maximum happiness. What could be better than that?

Adventure? Sure, I've had plenty of adventures but the best ones are often pretty expensive!
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Im surprised at how many people throw their dreams into their jobs.. I've never had a dream job. No one job would give me immense joy or fulfill my life. It is adventures I want, which only some jobs offer a little bit of..

Is it more common than I thought for people to dream about jobs and little else? Maybe you won't get the dream job.. but you must have other dreams. Why not make those priorities instead? I'm not saying be unreasonable.. but surely there must be other dreams than just working for money.
    That's kind of the point - to be working for more than just money. If I'm going to spend seven or eight hours a day or more doing something, then I really want to at least find it a worthwhile endeavour in and of itself, and I'd hope at least that I'd find it stimulating and rewarding in some way besides paying me. Money is necessary and nice, but it won't make me happy. I get sad spending half my waking hours doing boring and pointless things that don't stretch me.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Even if you have a job that pays you well enough to travel when and where you want, you'll still most likely be spending more time at work than you will be traveling. I think it's important to enjoy the place you spend the majority of your time.
    There are plenty of jobs people can do and enjoy without it being a dream job though. I had a lot of fun working at Golden Corral as a kid--at the time it was an enjoyable atmosphere and I had good people so it didn't really feel like work while I was there. It isn't my dream job, no, I think the army is as close to a dream job as I can get.. But.. Is it really all about work when it comes to dreams? I know I'll never be a professional artist, I'm just not talented enough for it.. but it doesn't stop me from painting from time to time.. but I realized I don't really make it a priority in my life. It does give me joy and happiness, but I always brush it off for smaller tasks that really don't.

The question is do people make their dreams a priority in their daily lives, and if they are doing exactly what they want to be doing with their lives. I thought it may have been bigger than just careers.. but I didn't realize how many people throw all of their dreamy-eggs into one career basket.

Like @FDG even if you weren't going to be a pro-cyclist athlete that got paid big bucks to go to France and compete against Lance Armstrong's cousin or something.. do you still race? Local races for the fun of doing something you enjoyed? Do you still train for it and try? Is it a priority at all, or did you just throw it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    That's kind of the point - to be working for more than just money. If I'm going to spend seven or eight hours a day or more doing something, then I really want to at least find it a worthwhile endeavour in and of itself, and I'd hope at least that I'd find it stimulating and rewarding in some way besides paying me. Money is necessary and nice, but it won't make me happy. I get sad spending half my waking hours doing boring and pointless things that don't stretch me.
    I can definitely see how that would be convenient.. but most people cannot get to their dream careers, or CAN but aren't there YET.. This isn't limited to dream jobs though. Are any of your dreams a priority in your *daily* life? As in.. "Today, I am not buying this necklace that I really don't need, because that money is being saved for my trip to Washington D.C. to finally see the national mall in person since I'm a huge history buff." Or "Today I think I will spend a couple minutes trying to say "potato" correctly in French because even though I suck at learning new languages it is a dream of mine to speak French fluently."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

No.

I think most of the people are not doing that what they want.Because most of the people want to do that things which their state laws not allowed.And you see many examples of these things around you and if they got freedom to do that than the crime rate will increase.

Yes, definitely!
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yeah, mostly. I'd like to travel more and perhaps find some kind of halfway fulfilling or at least not soul-sucking part-time job, but other than that, I'm doing what I want. My dream job (stay-at-home-mom and wife), even, though it turned out not to be something I particularly enjoyed or felt like I was good at. The older I get the more it seems like I am better than I thought, but time will tell.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

I've found there is a balance between working hard and working smart... making practical ideals to set your heart on and yet still enjoying the journey to get there... giving now to get later, while still getting a little now. So in a way, I am happy where I am, despite not being where I'd like to be. I see the challenge of life like picking a lock... you gotta hold on to the parts you've already got worked out and be willing to wiggle a little on the ones you don't.

Ultimately, accepting the fact that I can't get everything I want has taught me to form my ideals in the reality of compromise rather than begrudgingly holding out for merely dreams at the cost of everything else. Much like Indiana Jones, for every adventure there are weeks or months of being a boring old professor.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yeah, I'm good at "doing."

On a scale from 1-10, I'd say I'm at ~8 right now--because I tackle everything from multiple perspectives and balls-hard. In my mid-20s, I've got the mentality that I've got one life to live and that I'm someday going to die, so I may as well figure out exactly what I want and exactly how to get it--and fast. Somehow, I think that's actually kinda wrong-headed.

But If I'm going to marry someone, I'm damn well going to make sure that we're compatible on all levels. If I'm going for a career, it's gotta be what I want and something that pays the bills.

I've got a way of closing off paths that don't make sense to me, that I no longer enjoy, and/or that won't result in any benefit. I see (what I perceive to be) the signs early and try to maintain a sense of life balance.
    A lot of this speaks to me. I'm a very unhappiness-intolerant person. If I don't like something, I change it. And I don't wait around for a long time to make that decision.