User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Most annoying mind blindness

I was thinking about this for a bit and didnt know what part of the forum to post it in, what are the most annoying incidences of mind blindness which you encounter on a regular basis?

I define mind blindness as the opposite of being mindful or possessing a theory of mind, that is being socially conscious, and perhaps conscientious. It is the opposite of what was once called "thoughtfulness", in the sense of being kind rather than introspective or thinking.

I think this is a kind of intellect, its probably more important, for most people or the run of the mill things in life than being an expert in physics or mathematical genius.

Two or three examples which bother me to start the thread.

- People who enter a stream of pedestrians, adopt a fast pace and suddenly stop short, particularly if it is in a doorway or were a lot of people will be "bottle necked" by it.

- People who obstruct door ways, stair wells, lifts or exits. Either by choosing that as a perfect place to strike up a conversation or just not thinking about were they are.

- That "helpful" person who will interceed in any situation were simply removing themselves and permitting an individual to work out whatever it is they are finding challenging on their own.

For instance someone is struggling with luggage off a train through a narrow entrance, they can be most helpful by getting out the way, instead they decide they will help handle the other persons luggage, perhaps ask other commuters to do so aswell, when the last thing said person with the luggage wants is a bunch of strangers touching their stuff.

- People who're not listening and only waiting on their turn to speak.

- People who every time they speak its the same story being told over and over and over. Yet it kind of escapes them that this is the case and they get upset or irrated if they fail to get the reaction they expect for the Nth time.

Today this woman came into where I work (a butcher shop, to set the scene). She wandered around with her baby stroller (the kid was maybe 3 years old), picked up some stuff from around the shop and all the while I noticed her occasionally bending down to wipe her son's nose with this tissue.

So she comes rolling up to the cash a little later and I go to take her money. She puts her stuff down on the counter including this dirty tissue. In fact, she put this dirty tissue on TOP of her items. So I make a point not to touch it and let it fall to the counter as I pick up her stuff. She pays and says "thank you" in this irritatingly airy voice, takes her things and leaves the fucking tissue on the counter!

Seriously, now! Who does that? I do NOT get paid to throw away your nasty, germ-infused tissues! I get paid to sell and serve meat.

I should have said something to her about it. Instead I just stared at her in disbelief until she left the store.

It's not something I encounter on a regular basis, but I thought it would fit in this thread nicely.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Long story short.....if you bend down to get under the "Section Closed" taped off area and then pretend you "didn't see" any indicators.....you are an asshole!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

So...'annoying mind blindness' = being inconsiderate towards other people?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I drive on the highways a lot. I'm always running into these guys who impatiently want to pass me usually as I am passing another car. They triumphantly pass me when I get back into the non-passing lane. Then, many miles later, they inexplicably slow down their cruising speed and then I have to pass them, which immediately motivates them to resume their old speed and pass me again.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx

I usually call this not being socially self aware.
    And the worst kind is walking slowly down a busy street, that or getting to the front of a queue and not knowing what you want to order. That and not using your turn signals.
    Talking in the theater (up there with child molestation)

And those assholes, that just don't, know how, to FLUSH IN A PUBLIC TOILET!
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Seems like a lot of people in my city don't think about how their actions while driving affect anyone else. I can't count how many times I've seen people come up on a bicyclist or something in their lane of traffic and without even paying attention to whatever is in the oncoming lane of traffic swerve over to go around. My husband and I were almost run off the road because someone wouldn't slow down for a bicyclist in their lane. He just swerved right into our lane of traffic and expected us to move over for him.

And I hate grocery shopping for the very reasons @Lark mentioned... It never fails... I always end up behind some a-holes that want to stand and talk in the middle of an aisle making it impossible to get around them. And then I get a dirty look when I say "excuse me." Seriously? WTF?!

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

People who want to talk to you on the bus even though it's obvious you're reading and/or listening to music and don't care to be interrupted just then.

Last week, I was working in the library and two minutes before closing a mother and her little boy come in. They are taking their sweet time and have no concept of a place closing down for the night. The mother was information on a subject that's going to take several minutes to find good information on. It's not something that can be answered in the last two minutes. Then she wants to find a picture book for her son and asks if she has time to look for one. I say that we are closing in two minutes you can still check on out but you will need to hurry. She takes her sweet time, no sense of hurry at all. I ask her if she's found anything yet. By then, the library has officially closed and she still looks like she has no intention of leaving and no item in her hand to check out. It's as if she doesn't understand that closing means closing and that in a way she's being inconsiderate of the employees. The employees have had a long day. We want to go home and take care of our own business. Some of us have other jobs and committments to attend to. We aren't getting paid to stay after close. It isn't that we don't want to help our customers. We just prefer that come during our open hours and if you have a request that's going to take more time, to allow time for that.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I had some serious issues with tooth aches a short while ago and found that I pretty much had to be on ibuprofen to deal with the constant pain, since it deprived me of sleep.

However, not much later I found that being on quite some ibuprofen really numbs the mind too! I was doing the weirdest stupid things because of mind blindness during this period. Like, for work I had to screw loose some seats in a bus, and instead of screwing the right seats loose, I screwed the wrong ones loose. And it wasn't until I was finished that I was like 'ok, what the f did I just do?'. And it didn't stop there, I did many dumb things throughout the day that I would normally not do, just because I wasn't thinking clearly, or at all..

It's like being on some kind of automatic pilot that is terrible misinformed. I can't function on ibuprofen, so I went with pain and sleep deprivation instead. At least I can function that way. Luckily, the issues did not persist for very long and the pain only lasted a few days. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    People who want to talk to you on the bus even though it's obvious you're reading and/or listening to music and don't care to be interrupted just then.

Last week, I was working in the library and two minutes before closing a mother and her little boy come in. They are taking their sweet time and have no concept of a place closing down for the night. The mother was information on a subject that's going to take several minutes to find good information on. It's not something that can be answered in the last two minutes. Then she wants to find a picture book for her son and asks if she has time to look for one. I say that we are closing in two minutes you can still check on out but you will need to hurry. She takes her sweet time, no sense of hurry at all. I ask her if she's found anything yet. By then, the library has officially closed and she still looks like she has no intention of leaving and no item in her hand to check out. It's as if she doesn't understand that closing means closing and that in a way she's being inconsiderate of the employees. The employees have had a long day. We want to go home and take care of our own business. Some of us have other jobs and committments to attend to. We aren't getting paid to stay after close. It isn't that we don't want to help our customers. We just prefer that come during our open hours and if you have a request that's going to take more time, to allow time for that.
    I hate that. I remember walking in a furniture store 10 minutes before closing and the sales ladies staring at me like I was the devil. Kudos to the one that approached me, because not only did she earned some commission on an easy sale (knew exactly what I wanted before I walked in), I was out of there with 5 minutes to spare.

I hate when you've had a particularly challenging day and you tell someone about it... And their first response is "Oh yeah, well that's nothing compared to this." Thanks, but you making my day seem like nothing compared to yours did not make mine feel any different/easier.