User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I drive on the highways a lot. I'm always running into these guys who impatiently want to pass me usually as I am passing another car. They triumphantly pass me when I get back into the non-passing lane. Then, many miles later, they inexplicably slow down their cruising speed and then I have to pass them, which immediately motivates them to resume their old speed and pass me again.
    How could I have forgotten that, this is a real bug bear for me too, also the people who pass me and then slow down immediately, never know what that one is about.

Although I've got to say that when I'm in the fast lane on the motorway, which has a top speed limit of seventy, and I'm pushing eighty five maybe and some asshole appears behind me in the rear view mirror and is tail gating me and flashes the lights I just wish I had a rear mounted rocket launcher to blow the tard away.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisius View Post
    that or getting to the front of a queue and not knowing what you want to order.
    Oh man that's totally number one! I hate that, or not having the right money at the til, despite having been walking around the shop for an hour with the one item with the price on it, this happens to me in book shops and it pisses me off greatly. Its like they reach the counter and "wow! WTF! Pay?! TF?! Did anyone else know about this?!", hate that. Or people paying in pennies. No self-awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    Seems like a lot of people in my city don't think about how their actions while driving affect anyone else. I can't count how many times I've seen people come up on a bicyclist or something in their lane of traffic and without even paying attention to whatever is in the oncoming lane of traffic swerve over to go around. My husband and I were almost run off the road because someone wouldn't slow down for a bicyclist in their lane. He just swerved right into our lane of traffic and expected us to move over for him.
    I absolutely hate this, I've come to expect it under all circumstances though and refer to it as the "they have seen me and will naturally prioritise my convenience" rule. This rule actually governs the minds of assholes in every single thing they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I hate when you've had a particularly challenging day and you tell someone about it... And their first response is "Oh yeah, well that's nothing compared to this." Thanks, but you making my day seem like nothing compared to yours did not make mine feel any different/easier.
    That's the "not listening, waiting turn to talk" thing, you know that's a big part of fight club which gets over looked, I hate it too and I also hate it when:-

- people constantly turn the conversation at to themselves
    - have the one story to tell and repeatedly find cause to do so, so your long day at work or hard luck will be yet another time to be told about this time with their ex/buddy/team/boss
    - when someone mirrors what they think you're saying but its totally screwed up, "I think what you mean is..." and you're like no, WTF, how did you reach that conclusion, wait, simply considering the words I just said you couldnt possible have reached that conclusion.
    - when someone suggests you try something which you've already told them you've tried and it didnt work or makes it obvious in some other way that they've perhaps heard the first and last word you said but nothing else.
    - when someone demands your complete attention for something which doesnt take your complete attention, so you'll have to stop everything, turn to face them, listen and make a string of non-verbals, repeat back to them what they have said, reframe, rephrase but overall get ten out of ten on the agreeableness stakes, if you can hear and give responses without abandoning what you're doing I'm good with that, not every conversation is the therapists chair.

MBTI
    XXFP

Yeah, I notice a lot of stuff while driving.

When I stop at a red light with multiple lanes of traffic going my direction, if it's empty I'll always take the left lane or move to the far left in the right lane to let people pass to turn right. Or pull up to let people move around me from behind as needed.

You guys mentioned this above, here's my twist: if I see a cyclist in the opposing lane of a two lane road with cars behind it I will move over far right to indicate that the cars on the other side can pass. Somebody expressed annoyance with people pulling over from their lane - I suppose this could be a dangerous move coming around a turn or if it's sudden, but I wouldn't mind if it was obvious (signaled perhaps) and there wasn't anything on my right shoulder to worry about. It costs me very little to provide convenience and safety for other people. Of course, it costs me nothing to do nothing.

When driving I tend to move quicker than average but sometimes I drive slow or there is just someone else fast. I like to pull over and let people pass when in areas where passing is difficult. Frequently I don't even have to come to a stop, just signal over, let them go, and then keep moving. I think this is considerate, cause I'm not wasting their time, and also safer and more enjoyable. It is always appreciated when people pull over for me.

Also somebody mentioned passing people who have passed you: I wonder if people think this about me on the highway, but I tend to up my speed based on factors of terrain and efficiency, but also based on visibility and likelihood of speed traps, which people seem to zone out on. So I might go quick in certain stretches and then slow down in others. Or on a long drive, I can increase my overall speed with a minor drop in efficiency by occasionally going quicker (say down a long, straight, downward sloping stretch) and then slowing back down/setting cruise control for the rest. Makes a difference over many hours.

I try not to piss people off, but I find it strange when I want to go pass at an obviously higher rate of speed and people pull in my way. It seems like poor situational awareness on their part. If they just wait a second then they will be free to pass however slow they want and I'll be on my way. I suppose in some sense this is "prioritizing my convenience", but whereas they might have to wait an extra second, I have to wait an extra 5 or 6, hit my brakes, lose speed, efficiency, etc. and then I'm stuck behind them while they maneuver, only to have to accelerate again to get back up to speed. Which seems silly. So I golden rule it and let people who are faster/have momentum maneuver first.

In the snow I prefer to let uphill cars have the right of way (they need the momentum more than I do).
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

A theme with all of these is that some of these behaviors seem to be motivated by a lack of awareness, some potentially by simply not caring or wanting attention (I always wondered why those pretty girls in high school picked the most visible and annoying spot to stop and chat in groups - right where they are high visibility and everyone else has to move around them), but some of these might be a result of a lack of awareness on the part of the person making the observations - it's always a possibility.

Also, sometimes there are just differences in opinion. Personally, I think that if car are zipping by I shouldn't walk out into the road as a pedestrian - even if "that's the law" or whatever. But some people think they not only have that right but they should take precedence. You could make arguments about the flow of traffic, but you could also make arguments that a car doesn't have to do a whole lot to come to a stop and start again (in terms of physical exertion of the driver), or that pedestrians should be able to walk around wherever.

That said, if I'm going 40 and there is nobody behind me, and nobody in the other lane, and some guy walks out into the bright crosswalk so I have to stop while he strolls across with his chin held high - I'm going to be annoyed. Just wait a second, man, the place will be empty. And he knows he's being a pain, that's what gets me.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Something else I'm going to have to add to this list is when people set you expectations which work well for them or are even pretty specific to them but mean shit to anyone else or just mean shit to the specific people they're talking to. I've been in so many situations were someone has talked to me as though they are doing me a favour and I've just thought, man, I dont think you're clever enough for this to be some kind of scheming, which means, you must really believe this shit.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Being cut off mid sentence, because some brilliant and awesome extrovert just had a thought in their head. Or being cut off mid story. Apparently my experiences are less valid than other people's. No, it's not because I repeat the same story over and over.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    So...'annoying mind blindness' = being inconsiderate towards other people?
    Im not sure, because being inconsiderate implies that they would at least have a notion of what consideration was so that they could be not-considerate.

I think maybe he just meant a complete blankness of perception towards others.

But maybe im just making up shit and gibberish.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.