User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long is too long for house guests to stay?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weeks, months, makes no difference to me.

1 2.63%
  • Two weeks is pushing it.

3 7.89%
  • A week

6 15.79%
  • Like fish, no more than three days

19 50.00%
  • Other

9 23.68%
First 345

Thread: House Guests

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    That's only one day's worth of driving if it's at highway speeds...and yes, I probably would have. A roll of duct-tape (and ideally, a piece of a tarp or something), and it's fine.
    It was a week-long ordeal and a very long story, but there was no other option.

You can also hide a key somewhere on the underside of the car...
    I did this later on after a couple more stupid lock-out events (including the one in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming)... That car now has a door key in a hide-a-key under the car on top of a frame member, which I've used a couple times.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    What are your favourite home activities, then?
    Doing anything but cleaning and cooking.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    Doing anything but cleaning and cooking.
    Please provide a comprehensive list.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Please provide a comprehensive list.
    I'm too lazy to do such a list.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    I'm too lazy to do such a list.
    The only things I do at home aside from the two things you listed are sleep, water my orchids, bathe, and surf the internet.

MBTI
    INTP

I chose '3 days' because it was short, but now that I've thought about it more, I probably should have chosen 'other.' It depends on the person, but in general, shorter is better. The last house guest I had was my wife's best friend. It started out as just an overnight visit that was very convenient for her since my house is around the halfway point between the bff's house and her parents'. The visit dragged on and drained me of my sanity for a whole week. I had to listen to her loud-mouthed, prescription zanex induced bitching the whole week. I got to hear all about how my wife and I are doing things all wrong. Too disorganized, place is a mess, kid needs a haircut, etc... Aside from popping pills, she was dropping pills- on the floor where my kids might have found them. When I cleaned the room she stayed in, I found about half a dozen zanex scattered around. I would have been happy to find them, but I don't really like pillz, so it just pissed me off that she was so careless with them. The last straw was when my wife happened to go into the room she was occupying and noticed something familiar sticking out of her suitcase - an article of my daughter's clothing. The bitch was stealing from us! My wife found about a dozen more things. I would have waited until after dinner to confront her, but my wife didn't, so I sat there at the kitchen table while the wemonz talked about it in the living room. My dinner got cold while I took care of dinner for my kids and hers. I wished the whole time that I couldn't hear the words and the blubbering , but I heard it all. At least, I thought to myself, she'll be leaving tomorrow for sure. My wish did come true. Her 'overnight visit' finally ended a week later than originally planned. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see someone go. I can definitely understand how house guests can get under your skin. I wonder if my wife will ever again ask me "Hey, [bff] said she'd like to come for an overnight visit. Whaddya think about that?" - unless she's joking.

MBTI
    INTP

It depends on the people, and how independent they are.

Depends on the people. Some people are not annoying at all, you almost forget they're there. Last summer I had over a friend who stayed about 2 months until she could find a place of her own. I rent only a room, which we had to share (and I had to sleep on the floor), and she's the personification of being extrovert, however her staying didn't trouble me at all, she would do her own things and meet friends of her own, she generally kept out of my life, though, obviously, we did things together.
    Other people can annoy the hell out of me in less than one week.