User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long is too long for house guests to stay?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weeks, months, makes no difference to me.

1 2.63%
  • Two weeks is pushing it.

3 7.89%
  • A week

6 15.79%
  • Like fish, no more than three days

19 50.00%
  • Other

9 23.68%
First 2345 Last

Thread: House Guests

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Maybe the independently wealthy ones wouldn't ask. The rest of us might have to suck it up and stay with a family member or a friend once in awhile. My cousin is VERY introverted, so introverted they should probably make a new category for her, and she asked if she could stay with me after my sister's bachelorette party from which we ended up leaving early anyway.
    When I do, the other offers. I don't ask them, but if they realize I'm in need, they offer. It's happened a handful of times before.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    When I do, the other offers. I don't ask them, but if they realize I'm in need, they offer. It's happened a handful of times before.
    Too passive for my taste. I'll just ask.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

One time I was by the side of the road locked out of my car about 1100 miles from home (don't ask). It was a somewhat back road near the coast; I only had a vague clue of where I was, my cell didn't work, it was a Sunday, and also a holiday (4th of July). I stood there a while, occasionally eating some berries that were growing by the road, and walking about a mile in each direction a couple times, but never finding anything but suburban/country houses that appeared to be mostly vacation homes.

So, about six hours after I locked myself out, I'm standing there next to the car as the sun goes down, debating what to do. Finally, while leaning on the car and looking at the ground, an extrovert walks up and asks me if I need some help.

I noticed the house across the way and down the hill, but never even considered going over to ask for any help. After I told him about my problem, they called a locksmith, invited me in, I listened to them, talked a little, ate a piece of key lime pie they offered me, etc. Being Extroverts, they actually liked talking to strangers, so they were happy to have me around for a couple hours as the locksmith traveled from a couple counties away. Then, when the locksmith wouldn't take my out-of-state check, they wrote one out to him and let me write one out to them.

Basically, extroverts are often sufficiently extroverted to make up for our introversion.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ISTP

So, about six hours after I locked myself out, I'm standing there next to the car as the sun goes down, debating what to do.
    After about an hour, I probably would have just smashed a window, gone on my way, and replaced it/had it replaced when I got home.

As for the original topic, it varies depending on the person in question, but generally...it's fine for a few days, anything longer than a week and they can have a tent in the backyard.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    After about an hour, I probably would have just smashed a window, gone on my way, and replaced it/had it replaced when I got home.
    You would have driven 1100 miles with a broken window through rain and snow and dark nights in places with wild animals? You're crazy.

That was one idea that came out, but I said it wasn't a good idea considering the long distance that needed to be covered before I made it home. I was glad I stuck to the plan...

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

6 hours is enough to make me nervous...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Three days but in reality I'd say overnight is my comfort limit. It depends on who the guest is.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Depends who is the quest.
    I would say 3 days is the average.

Visitors tire me out because before they come I have to clean, when they are here I have to cook and clean most of the day. Most visitors won't help me with cooking or cleaning or with children so I have a lot of extra work when they are here. I don't like extra work and cleaning and cooking are not my favourite activities at home.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    ...cleaning and cooking are not my favourite activities at home.
    What are your favourite home activities, then?

MBTI
    ISTP

You would have driven 1100 miles with a broken window through rain and snow and dark nights in places with wild animals? You're crazy.
    That's only one day's worth of driving if it's at highway speeds...and yes, I probably would have. A roll of duct-tape (and ideally, a piece of a tarp or something), and it's fine.

You can also hide a key somewhere on the underside of the car...
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%