User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long is too long for house guests to stay?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weeks, months, makes no difference to me.

1 2.63%
  • Two weeks is pushing it.

3 7.89%
  • A week

6 15.79%
  • Like fish, no more than three days

19 50.00%
  • Other

9 23.68%
First 12345 Last

Thread: House Guests

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    It really depends on who it is Sometimes an hour is pushing it, sometimes a couple of weeks is nothing. Some you wish they would stay forever.
    exactly
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    GONE

I think it depends on if you live in a big roommate household or on your own or with a family. I lived in a very small 2 bed/1 bath apartment once and I told my subletter that no guests were allowed for more than 3 days at a time. Well, he ended up invited his female friend to stay for 1 1/2 weeks.

I'm actually pretty good about sharing space as long as they are relatively clean and my roommate was actually cleaner than me (and cooked more) and she was a good houseguest. They were both in their early 30s and acted like 'grown folks' as opposed to the early 20ish roommates I've had.

When I fly back into DC, I rely on couch crashing, and my old roommates are pretty cool, I get to stay for a max of 2 weeks before wearing out my welcome, so I figure I should try to extend that same buffer to others.

In very large roommate situations though, it's easier to tolerate guests. I know in my friend's group share house (6 people in a 3 bed/2 bath house with attic) people run in and out all the time and one summer, they had a girl crash on the couch for free for the whole summer.

So yeah, I guess it depends on where you're starting out from.

When I was in my early 20s and subletting in NYC for the summer, I of course became a popular crash pad location for friends. I think i had a steady stream of houseguests on and off for a month. We could tolerate sharing 1 room like that pretty well, especially with the city right outside. But not my landlord, who asked me not to have houseguests anymore.

But yeah, now as long as the houseguests leave a minimal 'footprint', I'm pretty good about it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTj

No guests allowed.

House Guest = Hell no, u stupid extrovert. Get u'r extroverted self thehellawayfrommyhouse.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

heart on fire

It really depends on who it is.

MBTI
    ISTP

I answered 1 week, but my parents tire me out in about 2-3 days. So do a lot of my friends. Actually, a lot of my friends tire me out within hours sometimes.

If it's a planned thing, a week is ok. I can mentally prepare for the space invasion and time consumption.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

I live in a one-bedroom apartment, so a visit of a few days is probably best just because we'd be on top of each other. But if I had a house I don't think I'd mind a longer visit as long as it wasn't expected that I entertain the guests constantly or accompany them on all their expeditions. I live in a city where people go for vacation, so if they wanted to go to the beach or Disneyland or something like that then I would use that time to attend to my own life. I think problems arise largely because people are expected to spend every hour of the day with their guests and be "on" all the time.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I can handle my brother or mother staying for as long as required. They ask very little of me, and I can escape for recharge time. Apart from either of them, we've not had any other house guests for a few years.

I don't really like other people being in my space; my husband is the same.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    No guests allowed.

House Guest = Hell no, u stupid extrovert. Get u'r extroverted self thehellawayfrommyhouse.

What if they're introverts?

Introverts need love couches to crash on, too...don't they?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

What if they're introverts?

Introverts need love couches to crash on, too...don't they?
    But they wouldn't ask, so it doesn't really happen.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    But they wouldn't ask, so it doesn't really happen.
    Maybe the independently wealthy ones wouldn't ask. The rest of us might have to suck it up and stay with a family member or a friend once in awhile. My cousin is VERY introverted, so introverted they should probably make a new category for her, and she asked if she could stay with me after my sister's bachelorette party from which we ended up leaving early anyway.

If you're an introvert and you've got to stay with somebody, another introvert is a good choice.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii