User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default People who state everything out loud

By which I mean people who say ''that is hilarious'' (without laughing)
    or they re telling you something and you're like ''I know that already'' after they ve been explaining ( whether obvious or not )for 20 seconds and say ''oh then there is no point for me to explain this to you'' (to which btw I answer ''well, yes', that's what I've just said''. (and I do ask when I m not sure so its not due to a pattern of ''i say i know but then fuck up the work''.

Do you do that to a degree do you know people who do this ? In which kind of situations do they do it? and why do you / people around you do it?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISFJ

Some people may feel it's appropriate to state their emotions in words than actions (not laughing, but saying something is funny).
    Others might say it out of consideration (secretly finding it unfunny and can't bring themselves to a genuine laugh)...

Then there are people who just want to hear themselves talk rather than have someone actually take into account the things they are saying.

There are plenty of other factors unmentioned, and not enough in my experience to know.

I don't think I have done this and I would rather laugh (even if just a little) at something that I don't find hilarious... sometimes it isn't even about what's said but the intent of what is said that I consider.

I've known people who do it quite a bit, and it's rather annoying.
    I just want to float.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

I do that to a degree... I do the "that is hilarious" thing a lot (i usually laugh at the same time though), but I like to think i don't state the obvious. idk
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

Most of the time saying "that's hilarious" is an easy social nicety you can use when you don't find what the other person's said to be particularly funny (at least not enough that you can get out a genuine laugh from it). It's less detectable, too, than faking a laugh.

It's not always in your best interest/appropriate to not support people and their bad humour.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

"I could care less".

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Most of the time saying "that's hilarious" is an easy social nicety you can use when you don't find what the other person's said to be particularly funny (at least not enough that you can get out a genuine laugh from it). It's less detectable, too, than faking a laugh.

It's not always in your best interest/appropriate to not support people and their bad humour.
    it isnt, but whenever someone has said "that is hilarious" (without laughter) I know they're thinking this. it defeats the purpose. dont laugh. dont say "thats hilarious". just smile. then, change subject. at least, i'd suggest as much.
    Oh, its
    You

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

dude, eque... what the fuck are you talking about?
    try cleaning up that OP a little.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Hm.. sometimes I acknowledge verbally that something's funny, without laughing [insert trademark smirk]. & I actually do find it funny, I'm just a subdued person, I guess.

As for the other portion of your post.. some people just like to hear themselves speak, it seems. You stumble upon a mental file of theirs, accidentally click play, and even if you pause them, & say oh, yes, I know this already- but thx- there's no fastforward or stop option available. They insist on playing it through, and talking at you.
    I've resorted to walking away mid conversation when this happens & I'm pressed for energy/time, these days.

I'm not sure what causes this.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    it isnt, but whenever someone has said "that is hilarious" (without laughter) I know they're thinking this. it defeats the purpose. dont laugh. dont say "thats hilarious". just smile. then, change subject. at least, i'd suggest as much.
    I get what you're saying, it definitely doesn't work for everyone and in all situations. But for some people, I guarantee you they don't pick up on it. Because you'll say it and they'll just continue on with their story with the encouragement. When working in customer service, I find it can save a lot of energy and seems to be pretty effective.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Hm.. sometimes I acknowledge verbally that something's funny, without laughing [insert trademark smirk]. & I actually do find it funny, I'm just a subdued person, I guess.
    Me, too. Sometimes I find things amusing, which is different from funny or hilarious, but "How droll" or "How amusing" aren't much used expressions these days, so "That's hilarious" suffices to let the person know you're grinning on the inside. Unless of course it's really not funny at all, but you're trying not to say so and signaling that you appreciate the other person was trying to be funny.