User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    it is control to a degree. Structure cannot be ''detached'' from itself. A human remains a human, a tool user, a tactical communicator. It starts with our first cry, whether we know it or not. Letting go is relative.
    Structure cannot be detached but it can be hidden or lost even. There may also be forms of control or guiding that we don't yet understand. A level that exists beyond the baseness of self. However, of course every thing is relative to all else.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Question that has plagued me for a couple years: Are humans capable of altruism,

Altruism is a motivation to provide something of value to a party who must be anyone but the self, while duty focuses on a moral obligation towards a specific individual (for example, a god, a king), or collective (for example, a government). Pure altruism consists of sacrificing something for someone other than the self (e.g. sacrificing time, energy or possessions) with no expectation of any compensation or benefits, either direct, or indirect (for instance from recognition of the giving). Altruism is the opposite of selfishness.
    Or do we do good for some underlying gain, even if that gain is to....feel good. ? Making us inevitably selfish.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Question that has plagued me for a couple years: Are humans capable of altruism,

Or do we do good for some underlying gain, even if that gain is to....feel good. ? Making us inevitably selfish.
    depends how you define the individual. But from a classical perspective (I dont mean body mind dualism, just the boundaries of ''see person , that is one individual'' and please lets not mention mirrors and illusions : P) yeah there is no real reason for anybody to do anything without drives and if they never did anything that was in their interest life expectancy would probably be much lower. So the way we experience these things are through ''natural preferences'' (sugar rather than salt for example) and how A) feels good and B) feels bad and triggers avoidance strategies etc.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post

That would only apply to deliberate acts of 'Good', which is utterly subjective. A compliment toward someone, a holding of the door to the person behind you.. these may not even have conscious thought enough to bring the pleasure of "I'm good." It's all addition and subtraction in the singular form, a give and take to create the whole, which is Identity.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

the second video series breaks it all down quickly and effectively for anyone thats looking and ready/ others just need more time.
    however, ime, IRL exp isn't neither as quick or smooth, and the edge i posted earlier is a symbolic referrence to a point of recurring resistance that is likely to surface as one begins facing thyself in those moments of discovery when realisations clash with previous mental concepts, expectations, etc, resistance directly proportional to the degree of attachement and identification with said mental noise.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Putting your happiness first.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Good question. Luckily, Ayn Rand has written a whole book about its virtue. Have a read....

( )
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

moral objectivism :P defining what is best for the goose and gander, when what is best for the goose, may not be best for the gander.
    people have different needs
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee