User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: teatotalers:why don't you drink?

6 sx
    iNfp Ni

Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

A few reasons:
    • Not drinking lets me feel morally superior to other people. I can feel smug, and feeling smug feels good.
    • I am a part of the monastic order of Minor Threat.

My guess is if you need to ask this question, you already have plenty of reasons.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

1w2 so/sx

1. It's expensive.

2. Almost invariably, people become selfish the drunker they get. This causes havoc in relationships and friendships that lasts far beyond that evening. Everything from not being available to drive, to belittling a friend in front of other people, to sleeping with someone else's significant other. While I grew up in a non-drinking environment, when I re-evaluated my choices as an adult, this was one of the number one reasons I decided not to drink.

3. Lowered inhibitions often result in poor choices - who to drive with, risks people take, sexual behaviour, fighting, not filtering thoughts at all, telling other people's secrets, etc. Sometimes poor choices have serious lasting consequences such as STDs, pregnancy, legal problems, rape, and so on. If you don't have reliable friends who are going to look out for you no matter what, you are putting yourself at the mercy of whomever you are drinking around.

4. Drinking in a social sense (beyond a glass or two) generally has negative health consequences - weight gain, interference with other meds, long term health effects on your skin, organs and circulation.

5. Your choice to drink excessively affects a huge number of other people who depend on you, or whom you depend on. When you don't have money, transportation, a job, time for others, your health, your sobriety etc, you are not able to fulfill the obligations in your life.

6. I've come to believe that drinking is often a social crutch for times when people feel insecure, embarrassed, sad, angry, uncomfortable, bored, unsure of yourself, don't like or have little in common with those around you, etc. The people I know who habitually drink copious amounts or need to get drunk to have a good time socially are either unhappy with themselves or dissatisfied with their relationships to those around them.

It allows you to merely cope, so that you don't have to face your problems or insecurities, you can tolerate hanging out with people around you whether or not they are quality friends who treat you well, you don't have reason to be motivated to change the things you dislike about yourself or the circumstances in your life that are holding you back. In short, it's not only a method of coping, but of procrastination.

7. When your social circle revolves around who you drink with, the quality of your friends often decreases. They generally are not people with your best interests in mind.

8. It excludes and puts social pressure on others who may have important reasons not to drink. Unlike consuming other food or beverages, people who drink alcohol (in the sense you are speaking of) feel uncomfortable when others don't, even if they are not passing judgement or acting disapprovingly. It creates a divide between people.

It's bad for your health, and is frequently used as a method of coping with insecurity in social situations which will ultimately make the user weaker and less capable. It costs money.

That said, I really enjoy going out to bars, but I rarely drink more than 2 or 3 in a whole night (one simple beer/drink isn't uncommon for me). I mostly go to bars to get a little social stimulation, but generally of the "people watching" variety. That said, I've met lots of people going out and have some interesting experiences, but the best experiences involved people who weren't drinking a whole lot. Or something like live music, dancing, etc.

It's the activity that is interesting, not the drug.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    ...not even being able to remember what I've done. I got that drunk a couple times in my youth and it really turned me off it. WTF is the purpose anyway? Just a waste of precious life. And it's scary when you end up in a bad situation and don't remember how you got there.
    That's mostly my reason, except it's never happened to me. I've prevented it by not going there in the first place. Don't know whether that would really be a convincing one for you, though, Prpl.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Senior Member Array

Infidels are unworthy of Jebus Juice.

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

the thing is i have only ever blacked out once. I usually puke or pass out well before than.
    by @magpie

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    ILE None

because its the morning and I dont need it to be productive. I like to be sharp/active/accomplishing things, alcohol certainly doesn't bring that to the table. Alcohol is a time out from something. If it a social ceremony of sort. If its an end in itself then I dont see the point of it.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Alexander the Terrible Array yenom's Avatar

Because it kills your brain cells.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.