Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Sounds nice in theory. I've heard a similar argument about men wearing hats all the time, and being generally more dapper and classy, subjectively speaking. And I do agree with you about dancing being awesome and wishing that more people could do it, or were willing to learn.

But if there's one thing "Mad Men" has taught me, it's that the "good old days" weren't really good at all. So the broader cultural argument doesn't resonate with me.
    well Im not really arguing that everything was better, certainly not in terms necessarily of race and gender, etc...what I am proposing that it is literally healthier culturally for people to dance. Its fun exercise that people can do in a positive group environment, without even thinking thoughts like "I need to go to the gym."

dancing for much of humanity, from primitive tribes, has been a matter-of-fact part of human life, and one that I am arguing is as vital and necessary to a culture as music itself

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's interesting that people say "I can't dance" but I believe the dances Marm is talking about can actually be learned rather than just random flailing of arms and legs like dancing is now. I think more people could dance if "old fashioned" dancing was still normal and common. I thought this would be a silly thread but I can actually see the point being made.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I think it's painfully obvious that I wasn't.
    You don't have to do it like a professional. I think that kind of dancing Marm is talking about is the a sort of 'square dancing' phenomenon or similar, that took place in earlier times, when the communtity (or village or whatever) joined in and partook as a shared experience. It's more about community than being a good dancer or competition...
    So maybe you just haven't found the right environment to feel comfortable dancing.

ReflecTcelfeR

I do enjoy dancing. Especially ballroom.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The salsa and the tango are next on my list to learn.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRcO5tV2yZU"]you can dance if you want to[/YOUTUBE]
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I think culture was even healthier when we still had slaves. The downfall of western civilization began when slavery was de-legitimized.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs"]slaves - wondershowzen [/YOUTUBE]
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    As much of a fan as I am of ballroom, swing, salsa, and even Zumba--the 'negative and angry' stuff is my favorite to dance to. It's a hell of a lot more energetic, exciting, and uplifting than 40s waltz tracks, for sure.

That said, I don't have much success with club dancing. I can't help but start to pay attention to the lyrics, which make me stick a fork in the whole thing.
    I agree angry music has its place, in fact I believe that the punk scene was an act of social liberation from repression and lies.

On the other hand, I think it's gone too far in that extreme. Like, we TOTALLY NEED ANGRY MUSIC.

But why is so much music angry, or about things like self-destruction? I was watching tv the other day and thinking that there's a sensationalist overkill of negativity, like hello, it's good to vent anger and feel your anger, but garbage in-garbage out has some truth to it.

Also I agree that you can dance to angry music, but you typically dance alone or kind of do a cross between dancing and fist fighting with other people.

I was referring to a kind of dancing that is not just performance art for the few who are into dance majorly (you know, tap, ballet, modern dance, jazz) and also not some kind of isolationist frenetic movement, but something that is social, positive, constructive, and well, aerobic exercise.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    You don't have to do it like a professional. I think that kind of dancing Marm is talking about is the a sort of 'square dancing' phenomenon or similar, that took place in earlier times, when the communtity (or village or whatever) joined in and partook as a shared experience. It's more about community than being a good dancer or competition...
    So maybe you just haven't found the right environment to feel comfortable dancing.
    Yes, exactly. You've expressed my sentiments in more than one of your posts in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I regularly attend contra dances, which have a large following among both young and old folks in my area. For those who never heard of them, they are low key (jeans/shorts/tshirt) and based around a few basic moves, which depending on skill you can add all sorts of twirls to make it more complex. It's sorta a country line dance.

On a social level it is particularly interesting: you 'traditionally' pick a new partner for every dance (~6 min) who stays with you throughout the dance, but you also dance with everyone else of the opposite sex ("your neighbor"), sometimes of both ("the opposite male"), moving down the line. Depending on the dance it requires you to make eye contact, meet your neighbor, meet their partner, coordinate with both the group and individuals.

Sometimes you flirt with your neighbor, and of course dance with your partner, who depending on how you get along you are either happy to see them again (separated and then reunited) or you might be waiting to dance with that cute girl who is always fun to dance with 2 places down the row. Not to mention you feel the various ways people move around, how they react to your input, and you get to meet lots of people.
    Another contra dancer...awesome!

I got hooked on it when I was living close to Asheville, NC a number of years back. When I moved back to Canada I'd talk to people about it at the contras and I got the impression that Asheville is kind of the Mecca of contra dancing. It's very different down there, too. Serious, but LOTS of fun because the dancers are young and usually quite good.

I don't like it as much up here (selfishly) because, while there's a number of youth (20 somethings) who attend the dances, the majority are older if not elderly. It slows things down quite a bit.

However, contra dancing remains one of my most favourite pastimes. Just getting out and dancing in a way that incorporates actual moves and a group dynamic is pretty damn fun.