User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Is it time to spin the Civilization Decay Wheel again?

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Should I feel like a moral degenerate then? I don't like dancing.
    Also, this.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Saw a salsa club once. Everybody was dancing. They all sucked. But it was so awesome
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Is it time to spin the Civilization Decay Wheel again?
    [YOUTUBE="xv6IWX1_XHQ"]deluxe version.[/YOUTUBE]
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    XXFP

I regularly attend contra dances, which have a large following among both young and old folks in my area. For those who never heard of them, they are low key (jeans/shorts/tshirt) and based around a few basic moves, which depending on skill you can add all sorts of twirls to make it more complex. It's sorta a country line dance.

On a social level it is particularly interesting: you 'traditionally' pick a new partner for every dance (~6 min) who stays with you throughout the dance, but you also dance with everyone else of the opposite sex ("your neighbor"), sometimes of both ("the opposite male"), moving down the line. Depending on the dance it requires you to make eye contact, meet your neighbor, meet their partner, coordinate with both the group and individuals.

Sometimes you flirt with your neighbor, and of course dance with your partner, who depending on how you get along you are either happy to see them again (separated and then reunited) or you might be waiting to dance with that cute girl who is always fun to dance with 2 places down the row. Not to mention you feel the various ways people move around, how they react to your input, and you get to meet lots of people.

It almost seems like it was developed to encourage people to socialize as a group.

-----

I'd like to get into swing, perhaps. I'm an ok dancer, getting better. I can also teach you how to dougie.

I like grinding on butts too. Who doesn't? There's just a time and place for that kinda thing.

But I will point this out: I went to a city bar the other night and I noticed that there were a lot of girls who seemed like they might want to dance with a partner but probably not get straight up ground on. The problem with the music/dance style was that your typical grindy dances are too aggressive for just walking up to that sort of girl, but standing in front of each other and moving around without touching can be kinda strange in some contexts, like when you want to interact with someone directly but maybe not go straight to having sex with them on the dance floor. There is no in-between.

Dances where you touch hands, back and have the option to touch/grind hips are more accessible to what most people are comfortable with. So in my mind the trick is finding music you can incorporate those kind of moves into, isn't so loud you can't communicate, and finding a girl who won't be totally dumbfounded when you ask for her hand and give her a twirl.

-----

I'm not on board for the downfall thing, but I will say dance is pretty good stuff.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Was in musical theater in High School, and also used to teach swing for a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I'd like to get into swing, perhaps. I'm an ok dancer, getting better. I can also teach you how to dougie.

I like grinding on butts too. Who doesn't? There's just a time and place for that kinda thing.

But I will point this out: I went to a city bar the other night and I noticed that there were a lot of girls who seemed like they might want to dance with a partner but probably not get straight up ground on. The problem with the music/dance style was that your typical grindy dances are too aggressive for just walking up to that sort of girl, but standing in front of each other and moving around without touching can be kinda strange in some contexts, like when you want to interact with someone directly but maybe not go straight to having sex with them on the dance floor. There is no in-between.

Dances where you touch hands, back and have the option to touch/grind hips are more accessible to what most people are comfortable with. So in my mind the trick is finding music you can incorporate those kind of moves into, isn't so loud you can't communicate, and finding a girl who won't be totally dumbfounded when you ask for her hand and give her a twirl.
    Totally agree with all of this.

I want a dance where I can go up to a random and dance, and not feel like a creep...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Humans are made to dance. It's as much a part of us as music.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There might be some truth to this, but only indirectly related to dance. I've got a theory that people generally behave better in small tight knit communities, communities in which individuals are usually required to know certain things and interact in certain ways. Like for instance, hat tipping and knowing the box step. I wouldn't like to live in such places, because I'm the type who'll never quite blend in, but I do think they tend to be healthier.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Music is negative, angry, and depressing for a disturbing segment of it and totally fuckin un-danceable.
    As much of a fan as I am of ballroom, swing, salsa, and even Zumba--the 'negative and angry' stuff is my favorite to dance to. It's a hell of a lot more energetic, exciting, and uplifting than 40s waltz tracks, for sure.

That said, I don't have much success with club dancing. I can't help but start to pay attention to the lyrics, which make me stick a fork in the whole thing.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Nice thread!

I agree. I also feel like that about families eating together, praying together, and socializing together. Let's face it, as much as we all love technology, one of the drawbacks of it is withdrawal from family into self, or specialty peer groups.

I have always thought contra dancing would be fun. I was a little girl in the 70's and my dad used to jitterbug with me and I loved it. I then country and western danced in my late teenage years, and liked that a lot too. I have thought about trying contra dancing--going by myself--but I am pretty shy and introverted in those types of settings. So, yeah, I think it is a bummer that society doesn't dance anymore. I think it would be great in so many ways. Just communing for anything is beneficial.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

what a lovely thread.

salsa: there are over 300 moves and they are all communicated via subtle flicks of a man's hand. this is awesomely liberating and exciting for an Ne-dom, who can't rely on anything other than these subtle, spur-of-the-moment instructions. unf i'm so dominant i'm hard to lead, but the experienced salseros let me do it (or figure out how to lead me). my friends and i go salsa dancing a few times/month and by the end of the night, i'll have danced with about 20 men...each with a different style. my friends crack up because i spend 2 solid hours laughing from the joy of this beautiful dance. apparently you can hear my laughter in the outdoor courtyard.

everyone should spend hours laughing and dancing like this.

p.s. @AphroditeGoneAwry/@Qlip so much could be gained by being closer! you sound like you've travelled to emotionally warmer climes. familial dissonance is one of the most bizarre and jarring aspects of american society (i still can't understand why so many americans get stomach aches before they go home to see their family. i speak or text with several members of mine daily and consider them my closest, most beloved friends. my heart aches when we're apart. and friends! they welcome my friends into our family like long lost relatives who must be patted and petted and fed delicious food and wine and sangrias non-stop.) my friendly, touchy-feely, always-laughing, passionate culture.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.