MBTI
    INFP

The faster I read, the less I retain.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I took a speed-reading course when I was a kid, and was able to get up to 800-900 words per minute, but I noticed that it was inevitable that my comprehension and retention of the material suffered. Afterward, I wondered why the hell people would really care to read faster when the inevitable outcome was worse absorption of the material. I don't care what claims speed readers make, their appreciation and understanding of the material inevitably suffers. Just look at those multiple choice questions they ask to see if you've understood/retained the material: they're the most surface level details. Congratulations that you can read 'War and Peace' in two hours! Did you even enjoy it? It's like watching a movie on fast forward. How are you even going to appreciate the artistry and nuance? Yeah, I guess you can pick up on the outline of the plot, but did you appreciate the particular word choice on page 497 when Tolstoy was describing xyz? I mean, I get that sometimes you want to read stuff fast (but, tbh, as time has gone on, I've even come to doubt this, to an extent), but you're essentially just skimming the material, imo. When I read something, I generally lose track of where I am on the page and go off on completely different thought paths, and doing so is a large part of the point of reading, imo. I consider all kinds of things that aren't directly what is on the page. And even appreciation of what is on the page suffers from reading too fast.

That being said, I did the test three times, reading at my leisure, and scored 4% below average, 9% above average, and 14% above average. I'm assuming my speed would probably increase with each iteration of the test, as I do get into a groove while reading, and my pace will pick up as I attune myself to the author's style. I just can't imagine the purpose of never really even attuning yourself to the author's style, or lingering on the author's word choice cuz it's just that delicious, or not considering how xyz could have turned out differently had A just done B, cuz you're so intent on rushing through the material.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

It's probably worth adding that I tend to do everything (eating, yoga, taking tests) at a slower pace than other people.

And I really make no attempt to change it; why would I want to eat faster? I like the pace at which I eat.

Edit: Well, except for talking. Apparently, sometimes, when I talk, I get into a frenzy.

Edit2: And maybe thinking. I do tend to think fast.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    ... I'm assuming my speed would probably increase with each iteration of the test, as I do get into a groove while reading, and my pace will pick up as I attune myself to the author's style. I just can't imagine the purpose of never really even attuning yourself to the author's style, or lingering on the author's word choice cuz it's just that delicious, or not considering how xyz could have turned out differently had A just done B, cuz you're so intent on rushing through the material.
    I can identify with almost your entire post (although I've never taken a speed-reading course ), but in particular the above.

I too tend to speed up once I'm 'in the groove' of a particular author / way things are presented. But initially, I have to admit, I think I'm pretty darn slow.

/ didn't take the test in the OP, as I think there's a difference between being able to READ really fast, i.e. the words go in and out of your brain at the same time and you don't retain much of anything, and retaining everything that you read. My goal is usually retaining as much as possible (and thinking the nuance often adds to the overall message/understanding of it), although as I've gotten older I've let go of some of that, more notably in some fiction books.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    It's probably worth adding that I tend to do everything (eating, yoga, taking tests) at a slower pace than other people.

And I really make no attempt to change it; why would I want to eat faster? I like the pace at which I eat.
    I'm with you on that one. I have a reputation among the people I know as eating incredibly slow. I'm fine with that. My understanding is eating slowly prevents overeating and obesity.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'm with you on that one. I have a reputation among the people I know as eating incredibly slow. I'm fine with that. My understanding is eating slowly prevents overeating and obesity.
    Not only that, but how about just enjoying what you're eating?

I think it's actually a great analogue to speed-reading.

"Congratulations! You just ate a 3-star Michelin meal in under one minute!"
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 05-22-2012 at 01:00 PM.

I dont think I did this correctly but I'm apparently 18% slower than the average, I read it slowly because I thought there'd be questions, I got all three correct. I think that book is War of The Worlds, at least I think I recall reading that before.

In the results they tell you how long it would take you to read different books and to be frank I'm shocked that The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand gets a mention, I'd rather read Marquis De Sade, and I'm not a fan of raving lunatic perverts writing about sodomy as anyone could guess.

MBTI
    yupp

You read 376 words per minute.
    That makes you 50% faster than the national average.

though I cheated I knew the questions before hand. of course I failed the first time because unless i get questions ahead of time I don't remember what I read.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

You read 342 words per minute.
    That makes you 37% faster than the national average.

I guess it's not too bad, considering Engrish aint ma furst langage.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Don't feel bad. Most people are average.
    Do you offer pats on the head too?

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Actually, I see words as pictures, which is a type of dyslexia. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I read somewhere that it is also a rare characteristic of Autism, but I'm not sure.
    Reminds me of synesthesia (colors <-> music)