User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you a good driver?

I'm a great driver, and I pretty much never get road rage.

I've consciously worked on separate pieces of my driving strategy one by one over the years, and I have a pretty strict set of rules.
    -Don't pass people in turns
    -Don't change lanes when someone is two lanes over in the same position
    -Never drive in a car's blind spot
    -Watch as far ahead as possible and start braking when you see distant brakelights.
    -If you miss a turn, just chill and correct it later, don't try to pull a move at the last second.
    -If someone cuts you off, oh well. They want it more than you.
    -Move to the right lanes if people are driving faster than you, only move left to pass.
    -SLOW DOWN before turning. Too slow is much better than too fast. You can accelerate on straightaways.
    -Spend as little time as possible next to big-ass trucks, better to break speed limit than to drive next to them.

I have a bunch of other rules that I'm probably forgetting. As long as I hold myself to them, even if I'm mad, I'm pretty damn safe.

It also helps to have good control over the car and to have an intuition for when to accelerate and when to slow down to take turns most efficiently.

Some people may be a bit faster than I am, I guess.

2wX so/sx

I'm a nice driver... when I'm paying attention. lol. I am kind of horrible at driving in general, because I can't just drive... I have to be doing other things at the same time. I feel like it's a waste of my time and am usually on the phone, texting, listening to a book/podcast, eating, drinking, singing... anything to distract me/perpetuate my bubble

Permabanned Array
    5w6 sp/sx

Normally, I can go at least 90 in a 65 speed zone without getting into an accident, which is a better track record than the jackass who goes 50 (they are the cause of my road rage). And I've never been in an accident that was my fault before (it was the other dickhead's fault for driving too slow). And I can still do it while drunk. So I guess I am a pretty good driver.

By the way, who here has followed the driver in front of you after he gave you the finger for honking your horn at him just to scare the shit out of him?

9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I admit, I am not.

One thing I've noticed is that I don't get upset with other bad drivers because I guess I understand them. I've also noticed that people who think they are good drivers get mad (sometimes road rage) at bad drivers.

What do you think?
    Technically I am good. But I am reckless and I like to drive fast and don't always obey the 'rules'. So I tend to get points and stuff. As for navigational skills, I am fucking awesome.

actinomycetes Array raindancing's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

I've never been in an accident or had a speeding ticket, but driving scares me. I would never claim to be a good driver. I just lose focus way too easily. Suddenly I'm somewhere I don't even know how I got there... it freaks me out. I am so afraid I'll not see pedestrian or not notice the light is red (again) or I don't even know. I don't trust my sense perceptions. Like how close the car is to an object, how fast an oncoming vehicle is approaching. So pretty much I don't drive unless I have to.
    However in another sense I love driving. Blasting music with all the windows down and singing as loud as I can is a helluva lot of fun.
    I think my Se just sucks in general.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky