User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Eye floaters

Default Eye floaters

I've got this little guy that floats in and out of my vision periodically that's been around for about 8 or 9 months. It's just this weird shadowy thing that pops up especially when I'm staring at large, light surfaces (ex. the white board, open sky, a computer screen).

Just a few days ago I went to the eye doctor to make sure it wasn't retinal damage (since some meds I take can do that), she dilated my pupils and took a look. Apparently it's all good (I'm not going blind) and just a normal sort of thing!

Which leads me to my question: anybody else got floaters? Are they shadowy, too? How common and occurrence are they for you?

If not, have you heard anybody talk about having them? My eye doctor says it's pretty common, but I've never befriended anyone else with them.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think I do. Is it possible to excercise control over whether they appear or not? I can make mine turn on and off. I find them useful when learning.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTP

I've had them for a long time. I noticed them because I used to get migraines a lot as a kid, and anything that was some kind of visual disturbance would freak me out. Migraine with aura.

It was funny, I thought I had some kind of super powers.

Might be good to note that I've worn glasses since I was 3, and figure that might contribute.

I don't notice them unless I look for them, and, as you said, you're looking at something bright. Like the sky when it's white, or something.

It's kind of fun, if you're bored and just thinking, to look around and wait for them to follow up with your eyesight. Bizarre.

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

the eye is a jelly sack and in that there are particles and things like veins which will cross your vision. there's nothing wrong with it, just think in every part of your body there is an intake of nutrients and exhaust of waste decomposition, it's just that in the eye this decomposition is visible.

also you can't turn them on or off like another poster said, you can chose to pay attention to them or ignore them. focus beyond it an they won't be as noticeable.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yes, I think so. I've had some for years that look like a microscope slide specimen, with little lines and squiggles and dots that sit in place related to each other, but sway back and forth all together. If I direct my eyes one way, they all float that way, and switching directions, they all will, too. Actually, I see them right now, now that I looked for them.

My eyes are pretty wacked, but I figured this was normal.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it's totally normal to have floaters. I have awful eyesight (extremely nearsighted) but otherwise pretty normal eyes so my vision can be fully corrected with glasses and lenses. I think I've always had floaters - perhaps a little more when wearing contacts? Not sure.

I would suggest that if it ever happens that something really big or noticeable has popped up and is worrying you, go to the eye doctor, which you said you've done. Usually they can just set your mind at rest but it's better safe than sorry. If the eye doctor said all looks good, I wouldn't worry unless things continue to feel really odd or something changes noticeably.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

figsfiggyfigs

It's common.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeting View Post
    It's kind of fun, if you're bored and just thinking, to look around and wait for them to follow up with your eyesight. Bizarre.
    Yeah! I like to play around with it from time to time when I'm bored. Making the shadow go back and forth really quickly like it's dancing. Bizarre...you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I would suggest that if it ever happens that something really big or noticeable has popped up and is worrying you, go to the eye doctor, which you said you've done. Usually they can just set your mind at rest but it's better safe than sorry. If the eye doctor said all looks good, I wouldn't worry unless things continue to feel really odd or something changes noticeably.
    I'm not worried. My eye doctor took a good look at my eyes and told me it was fine so I trust her. And she said what you just said: if anything new pops up or I get changes to my vision then I need to go back and see her. She did chastise me for waiting to long to get it looked after, so if anything new appears I'm going to go straight away to see her.

But it's nice to know it is so common!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I freaked out a little bit when I got mine, and went to the doctor's too. It was nothing. But then I realized maybe they had been there all along and I never noticed them until that day?
    4w5 sp/sx EII

ocular nanobots

Any missing time lately? Strange lights in the sky? Unexplained marks or injuries?