User Tag List

12 Last

Default In cases of wrongful execution, what's the aftermath? What should it be?

Texas executed wrong man, report claims

I read this article and it cooked up a question and potential discussion. What happens when someone is found to have been innocent of a crime after wrongful execution? If the real culprit is identified and still alive, are they prosecuted or can the crime no longer be put to anyone? Also, is there compensation provided to the immediate family? How does the process of posthumous exoneration work? Any relevant information or thoughts are welcome.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The possibility of wrongful execution is one reason why I'm opposed to the death penalty. If you imprison someone who is wrongfully accused of a crime you can set the person free later. But you can't bring back the dead.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I haven't studied it in detail, but I know a state gov has sometimes made a financial compensation to someone wrongly imprisoned. (I recall one case with a wrongfull imprisonment lasting a few decades, and the state paid out $1 million or something similar to the victim.)

A Google search would probably bring up a few relevant examples.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that Texas seems to be notorious for incarcerating the wrong people. There's also a racial bias in play, where whites do better under the system than blacks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I haven't studied it in detail, but I know a state gov has sometimes made a financial compensation to someone wrongly imprisoned. (I recall one case with a wrongfull imprisonment lasting a few decades, and the state paid out $1 million or something similar to the victim.)
    I'm not sure any amount of financial compensation could make up for having spent a large portion of your life imprisoned.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'm not sure any amount of financial compensation could make up for having spent a large portion of your life imprisoned.
    Well, I agree with that.
    I mean, $1 million sounds like BS in trade for the best 35 years of your adult life incarcerated.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I'd say the best they could do is award the family of the executed person a hefty sum and publicize their mistake (and that he was innocent).

I used to be pretty pro-death penalty, but now I actually have very little faith that the justice system works the way it's supposed to a lot of the time.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'd say the best they could do is award the family of the executed person a hefty sum and publicize their mistake (and that he was innocent).

I used to be pretty pro-death penalty, but now I actually have very little faith that the justice system works the way it's supposed to a lot of the time.
    By my mid-20s I had concluded that the death penalty was a grim, but necessary evil. Time and repeated posthumous exonerations have changed my mind since then. We could just export murderous convicts to an island... then I remembered that's been tried. Heh.

Darn you Aussies, we're fresh out of isolated islands!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    The possibility of wrongful execution is one reason why I'm opposed to the death penalty. If you imprison someone who is wrongfully accused of a crime you can set the person free later. But you can't bring back the dead.
    This.

I haven't researched this a whole lot, but I have followed enough cases of those still alive that have been jailed for extensive periods of time, only to later have new technology and evidence surface proving their innocence, and the jusitce system is a complete joke. No judge or prosecutor wants to see this kind of fuck up on their time, so many cases sit in litigation.. just waiting to be given the opportunity of another trial which can take years! As far as I understand it, there are cases that are never given this opportunity for some asinine reason.

I would imagine that very few "mistakes" of people wrongfully executed ever hit the public eye, and I have never heard of any families compensated but would be interested if someone has some stories on this.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I believe in addition to the moral issues it is also cheaper to imprison someone for life than to go for the death penalty after appeals and whatnot. I heard about a guy who was imprisoned in a real life shawshank redemption case in texas. He got out recently. Imagine losing your wife, being imprisoned, and having your kid grow up to hate you :/
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Essentially, the state should be condemned to pay a sizable sum in compensation for material damages (based on how much money the man was expected to earn during his lifetime) and moral damages (pretty subjective) to the victim's family.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------