User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In cases of wrongful execution, what's the aftermath? What should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Texas executed wrong man, report claims

I read this article and it cooked up a question and potential discussion. What happens when someone is found to have been innocent of a crime after wrongful execution? If the real culprit is identified and still alive, are they prosecuted or can the crime no longer be put to anyone? Also, is there compensation provided to the immediate family? How does the process of posthumous exoneration work? Any relevant information or thoughts are welcome.
    I remember debating the state executions with a Texan once and they told me that they felt that innocent people being executed was collaterol damage which they are a private citizen supporter of state executionw as prepared to deal with/considered a conscienable cost or expense for having a system which, even if it were only correctly killing convicted killers half the time, was exacting justice/consequences. He said that in any case those people who wound up on death row, even those whose case was in doubt, where generally nothing like the lawabidding average member of the public who were/are generally above so much as suspiscion of the sorts of crime which death penalties are reserved for.

I also heard a wonderfully argued opposition to death penalties which suggested that the existence of death penalties and the inevitable mistaken executions would make the rules governing evidence or conditions to secure convictions so ridiculously strict that the guilty would walk, in that case it was suggested better a repealable but easily secured incarceration sentence. Its almost like imprisonment for an offence which is under continuous review, which is how some sorts of psychiatric or psychological intervention in the UK are lawful despite involving detention, restriction of liberty and circumventing human rights laws.

Its something I've always felt strongly about when I hear people baying for retaliation, retribution and death, which used to and still does happen here quite a bit, that its very possible that the perpetrator benefits from it because some innocent or unwary being will fit the frame and they will be forgotten about to carry on with the same sort of behaviour again.

Although personally I dont ever support state executions but I do revenge.

Permabanned Array
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Darn you Aussies, we're fresh out of isolated islands!
    I read there's still plenty of empty land in the middle of that big penal colony.

Banned Array

The most obvious way to achieve balance between the scales would be to perform a rightful execution, perhaps of the judge.

When a method of reanimating dead bodies is discovered they can just use that instead.

Speakin' o' which... More than 2,000 wrongfully convicted people exonerated in 23 years, researchers say

More than 2,000 wrongfully convicted people exonerated in 23 years, researchers say

More than 2,000 people have been exonerated of serious crimes since 1989 in the United States, according to a report by college researchers who have established the first national registry of exonerations.

Researchers say their registry is the largest database of these types of cases and showcases some of the major issues with the criminal justice system, including that the leading causes of wrongful convictions are perjury, faulty witness identification and misconduct by prosecutors.

"No matter how tragic they are, even 2,000 exonerations over 23 years is a tiny number in a country with 2.3 million people in prisons and jails," says a report released by the authors. "If that were the extent of the problem we would be encouraged by these numbers. But it’s not. These cases merely point to a much larger number of tragedies that we do not know about."
    The report also shows which states have exonerated the most people. It notes that Illinois and New York may top the list in part because of the large presence of two major wrongful conviction centers in each state. From 1989 to 2011, the following states had tallied the most exonerations:

1. Illinois: 101
    2. New York: 88
    3. Texas: 84
    4. California: 79
    (Federal: 39)
    5. Michigan: 35
    6. Louisiana: 34
    7. Florida: 32
    8. Ohio: 28
    9. Massachusetts: 27
    10. Pennsylvania: 27
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."