User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

You don't want these sliceys. I will destroy you in handball. I'm seriously amazing. Still. I kicked the shit out of my 9 year old cousin the other day, and then threw the ball at the back of his head when we walked back to the line where losers go to wait for another ass-beating, probably chatting about how badly they just got pwned (I don't know, because I've never been there). I'm ruthless like that, and I know all the little procedural rules to screw you over before you even touch the ball. It's a lot like a court of law. I deliver the judgment before you even realize you got sued. And lost. Dana.

African-American History. The professor was a quirky Scotsman who wore a "Fuck Racism" t-shirt the first day of class. I knew that at the very least it was going to be interesting.

Media Law. I suspected that I had a mind for law, and this class reinforced it. It was fun to learn why 99% of the people who claim to have been slandered or libeled are wrong, and to learn about how the FCC works (or doesn't). Fun Fact I Learned: In a seemingly senseless move, the 1970 ban on tobacco TV ads was aided by a coalition of tobacco companies who privately lobbied Congress for the ban. The reason? The FCC had determined that TV stations airing tobacco ads may be required to present opposing views on the health risks of smoking to satisfy the Fairness Doctrine. The tobacco companies asked Congress to save them from themselves and ban the ads.

Producing The Remote Telecast. This was just plain fun. The class produced a telecast of an outdoor jazz festival that was broadcast on local cable TV.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    African-American History. The professor was a quirky Scotsman who wore a "Fuck Racism" t-shirt the first day of class. I knew that at the very least it was going to be interesting.
    That's very romantic.

Romantic to the point that I want to flutter my eyelashes at him.

MBTI
    infp

Canadian History

Never thought I would say this before I took that class but, Canadian history is extremely interesting... much more so than American history, which I always thought was more interesting untill that class. To be fair though, I havn't studied American history much. Not only was the subject matter itself great, but the teacher was incredible, too, probably the best I've had. This teacher took the class to an entirely new level, he innovated it, he made it into something else entirely.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was an English major, but my favorite class was Environmental Geology. I enjoyed it so much I got a minor in Geology, which consisted almost entirely of courses taught by the professor who taught EG. This guy (now retired) was the coolest guy ever. He discovered evidence of the earliest known supercontinent, which he named Ur, and he's one of the foremost experts on global climate change.

So, yeah. Environmental geology. Course description: "Environmental and human problems connected with uses of earth materials and with geological processes. Mineral resources, land-use planning, and engineering geology." He had enough seniority that he could choose to only teach small classes, so there were only about 15 of us. His lectures were the only ones I remember actually being disappointed when the time was up.

He didn't give tests. The assignments were short speculative papers, 2-3 pages each. No formatting requirements except put your name on it and doublespace it so he could write comments and suggestions. You could rewrite as many times as you were willing. One of the prompts was to imagine that you had to design Noah's Ark--a large spacecraft that was to land on a newly terraformed planet that was meant to recreate Earth as closely as possible. What ratio of predator:prey would you bring on the voyage to ensure a functioning ecosystem on the planet? Awesome.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

Media Law. I suspected that I had a mind for law, and this class reinforced it. It was fun to learn why 99% of the people who claim to have been slandered or libeled are wrong, and to learn about how the FCC works (or doesn't). Fun Fact I Learned: In a seemingly senseless move, the 1970 ban on tobacco TV ads was aided by a coalition of tobacco companies who privately lobbied Congress for the ban. The reason? The FCC had determined that TV stations airing tobacco ads may be required to present opposing views on the health risks of smoking to satisfy the Fairness Doctrine. The tobacco companies asked Congress to save them from themselves and ban the ads.

Producing The Remote Telecast. This was just plain fun. The class produced a telecast of an outdoor jazz festival that was broadcast on local cable TV.

One of the better things that the Reagan Era gave us was the trashing of the Fairness Doctrine.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oh, I should include my favorite classes.

Producing
    I got to produce a couple of senior film projects, hear some good speakers who are professionals, got to know how silly and pretentious some young filmmakers really are

History of American Capitalism
    Cool teacher, interesting stuff (especially the colonial and Revolutionary War periods)

Foreign Governments
    Dorky teacher, fun stuff to learn about (I am a big Social Studies guy)

International Cinema
    Saw some weird shit, very eye-opening stuff
    Last edited by pure_mercury; 05-06-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISXJ

As nerdy as this sounds: Advanced Spanish Grammar -- I got lucky and had an awesome professor that passionately lived and breathed Spanish grammar. I learned tons of helpful stuff in that class -- so it was totally worth-while, and I even kept the book.

This semester I had Cultural Issues for Bilingual/ESL Teachers -- This class likely had the largest personal impact on me than any other class. It really challenged my ways of thinking, reasoning, my biases, my beliefs, etc. The teacher was amazingly passionate about her work, and my classmates were awesome as well. The class was 3 hours long, and it always seemed to fly by...I actually kinda wish it could have lasted a bit longer. We tackled issues like racism, discrimination of religion, language discrimination (really interesting stuff), poverty/low SES (socio-economic status), different cultural backgrounds, etc. The stuff we learned in there is totally applicable to real life, and really causes me to catch myself and evaluate my judgements.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'd remember three very different classes.

The first is a semestrial seminar of philosophy held by Jacques Derrida at the "Ecole Normale Superieure" in Paris. It was just called "le seminaire de philosophie", since Derrida's subjects varied according to his mood, but he mainly entertained us with phenomenology and epistemology.
    He was a very brilliant man, full of wits, anecdotes, able to suggest a new idea every minute, and hence, sometimes difficult to follow for linear minds. I remember his charming smile even when his subject was as deep as death, "the death of the prince or the death of the beast?"...

The second was called "theorie de l'architecture", and was held by someone I was very close to (I knew him personally), Dominique Spinetta, at the architecture school of La Villette (Paris). Dominique was a man full of life and humor, and like the previous example, he had a new idea every minute, and teached us how to express ours, how to be aware of details, textures, and their real meaning. His classes were abounding with jokes and anecdotes... Alas, he died after a long disease, just two weeks after his last public lecture. I really felt like an orphan this day, especially if you consider the fact I used to visit him home on a weekly basis (unlike any other students).

The third class was about architecture theory as well, but it was held in Columbia university (NY) by Steven Holl, and rather than details, this man took into account the "larger scale", I mean, urbanism and landscape theory.
    M. Holl is in fact a very shy man, but that's part of his charm, with his unquestionable competence (he's an extremely talented artist). Once again, what attracted me there was the sheer creativity of his ideas, when you knew how to read behind the lines.

You can see a video of one of his lectures here: Columbia News ::: Video ::: Steven Holl Discusses Architecture as Catalyst for Improving Urban Development
    And his personal website: STEVEN HOLL ARCHITECTS
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 05-07-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    One of the prompts was to imagine that you had to design Noah's Ark--a large spacecraft that was to land on a newly terraformed planet that was meant to recreate Earth as closely as possible. What ratio of predator:prey would you bring on the voyage to ensure a functioning ecosystem on the planet? Awesome.
    I swear to god that's a part of Scientology. Swear.