User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Crappy Commentaries on Yahoo: Can We Do Better?

I'm not sure where to put this. It's mostly a bitch, but to just put it in the rant thread seems pointless. I'm sure there is a lot to discuss casually about the safety of some things people do for fun as well.

Some of you might have heard about Aimee Copeland, the 24-year-old female grad student who got gashed on a zipline two weeks ago, ended up with a raging bacterial infection, three days later got her entire left leg amputated into her abdomen, was in a coma, and now looks likely to loose at least all of her fingers, but potentially her other feet + both of her hands.

Latest articles:
    http://carrollton.11alive.com/news/n...eating-disease

http://news.yahoo.com/student-flesh-...opstories.html

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...141750834.html

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-bacteria?lite

Some say she's lucky to be alive; I guess it really depends on how she feels about it, because her life is going to be insanely different now... all because of what seemed to be a fixable incident at the time.

This is a commentary I saw today on Yahoo, and it's just a stupid PoS waste of space:
    http://news.yahoo.com/lessons-aimee-...000500059.html

wth is this about? Does this contribute ANYTHING useful to the tragedy this family is going through? If you're going to comment on something, why not make it insightful, rather than capitalizing on the tragedy just to add another commentary article to your collection?

All it says is:
    1. People can get hurt.
    2. If not for modern medicine, she'd be dead.
    3. We can survive tragic events due to medicine and courage.

Literally, that's all it says, without any more explication than that. What a jerk. Why not invest more thought into this? Why not make it relevant to ANYTHING? Was this someone's ninth grade class writing project? Andrew Riggio, you suck (!)

I bet people on this forum could write posts no longer than this "official commentary" that actually say something more meaningful or revealing about this situation, without any sort of credentials. (If you want to take that as a dare, please go right ahead. She deserves better.)
    Last edited by Bellflower; 05-19-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Commentator didn't like that I posted his entire commentary.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I see that the commentary they provided was a little simplistic, but am unsure as to how much could actually be said about the incident. A bad case of necrotizing facititis, while uncommon and unfortunate, doesn't exactly have major social ramifications. Especially since this girl is apparently getting the best medical care available. It's interesting enough that the story is got heavy traffic on search engines over the weekend. Yahoo news probably wanted to capitolize on that, but the writer just didnt have the juice to do anything with it. What would you have considered good journalism in this case? Are commentaries usually this bad? Or is it just the fact that such a subpar article was in bad taste given these particular circumstances?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think they have any standards (or decent ones) for their commentaries. They seem to be no more than bloggers. The political articles are just commentary pieces, and some seem completely off the wall to me.

You can go to MY blog here and see a post I just put up, that actually went SOMEWHERE, even if it was into the more personal. And I actually invested something in it, even if it only took me about 5-10 minutes to write, max.

I mean, if you're going to bother "commenting," then actually comment on something. You could:

1. Bitch about zip lines and lax safety standards.
    2. Detail where such bacteria comes from and what things you need to look out for, and symptoms that should send you straight to the hospital.
    3. Discuss why people are even into zip lines.
    4. Discuss misdiagnoses and what the staff might have done better.
    5. Talk about Aimee's major and why she might have been out there in the world doing the zipline.
    6. Describe some issue of personal significance where your life changed overnight and how you dealt with it.

... I can go on, but the guy's a flake. I think it just really bothers me that "news" is becoming what it is, and that in this particular situation, the piece is complete fluff. She deserved a little more effort than he bothered to invest. It was almost like he was just filling a quota. How hard is it to write a "commentary"? It's mostly just a subjective piece to start with.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think there is so much pressure on the AP to put things out fast fast fast that their quality suffers. Journalism has become shit over the last 10 years as serious investigative reporting became unpopular and couldn't compete with the CONTROVERSIAL SOUND BYTE NEXT! model. Almost all foreign correspondence for example has been replaced by these AP articles.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned

we probably can, we probably dont want to.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ah yes, there it is ...

#142: What 4th grader wrote this commentary?

I suppose when I said, "Was this someone's ninth grade class writing project?" up above, I was being generous.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    2. If not for modern medicine, she'd be dead.
    Well he has a point. Without modern medicine many of us wouldn't have even made it past childhood.

I think he's trying to put into perspective what happened, intellectually. He's basically saying this person wouldn't even be alive if they had done this 50 years ago.

I don't think it's downplaying her suffering, necessarily, I doubt that was his intent. He probably is concerned and troubled at the incident, but ...again, wants to put it in perspective, especially since it didn't happen to someone in his magic circle of 150 people that we can care strongly about at any given time.

Of course there are people on this forum who could write a more eloquent and empathetic commentary, but I mean, it's yahoo...not the times, the guardian, not russia today...it's freakin' yahoo. I don't really look at them as a particularly serious news source. They're up there with "glance at this and see what's happening" kind of like thing.

Yeah, he doesn't rant or sympathize very well, or take a position, really.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you pissed that he didn't care enough, or that he got paid for writing that?

Because I could hang with "pissed he got paid for writing that."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well he has a point. Without modern medicine many of us wouldn't have even made it past childhood.
    "Without medicine, I would have died."

Gee, thanks, Einstein.

And in one line, you stated it better than this "official commentator."

Of course there are people on this forum who could write a more eloquent and empathetic commentary, but I mean, it's yahoo...not the times, the guardian, not russia today...it's freakin' yahoo. I don't really look at them as a particularly serious news source. They're up there with "glance at this and see what's happening" kind of like thing.
    I would bet you any money that high school kids use Yahoo news (which is often off an AP news thread, so it's not just "yahoo") for their papers, and even for many adults, it's the only news they get. And that they don't notice the difference between the news articles and the commentaries because the headlines for both are merged into the same news feeds.

So you happen to be more discerning. That is good.

Yeah, he doesn't rant or sympathize very well, or take a position, really.
    There. You got my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Are you pissed that he didn't care enough, or that he got paid for writing that?

Because I could hang with "pissed he got paid for writing that."
    Probably both, although (ironically, since you seem to be more the idealist and me the pragmatist) I think the first part offends me more.

I take writing seriously, and if he wants to be a commentator, he should either get smarter or invest more thought into his writing. His topics deserve better.