Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "Without medicine, I would have died."

Gee, thanks, Einstein.

And in one line, you stated it better than this "official commentator."

I would bet you any money that high school kids use Yahoo news (which is often off an AP news thread, so it's not just "yahoo") for their papers, and even for many adults, it's the only news they get. And that they don't notice the difference between the news articles and the commentaries because the headlines for both are merged into the same news feeds.

So you happen to be more discerning. That is good.

There. You got my point.

Probably both, although (ironically, since you seem to be more the idealist and me the pragmatist) I think the first part offends me more.

I take writing seriously, and if he wants to be a commentator, he should either get smarter or invest more thought into his writing. His topics deserve better.
    I mean, was he assigned this, or did he write about it voluntarily? I mean it's possible he was like "oh wow college student injured in a freak accident while participating in a potentially life-threatening, risky recreational activity...what's there to say about that?"

I don't know, whatever, what he said was no more trite than what many ministers or teachers or parents have probably said about the same thing, and it is just yahoo, I probably could have gone my entire life and missed that commentary had you not brought it to my attention.

I usually scan the front page and look for related articles in google or in other sources if there's something interesting.

Like even putting "zip lines" without her name or the incident into Google produces more informative articles.

Any adult who only gets their news from Yahoo exclusively probably isn't as offended by the writing as you are.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, what people "say" doesn't linger; writing is forever. Therefore it has to have higher standards. You can read and reread it, and it has to stand on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Any adult who only gets their news from Yahoo exclusively probably isn't as offended by the writing as you are.
    ... well... that's true.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, what people "say" doesn't linger; writing is forever. Therefore it has to have higher standards. You can read and reread it, and it has to stand on its own.
    I consider yahoo to be a step above a tabloid, sort of like watching reality tv about something that may be documentary worthy.

Someone in the thread already touched upon what journalism has become in the past ten years, anyway.

To me this is borderline close to complaining that Fox news has some very irritatingly stupid shows.

Still irritating of course, I mean, I've complained about the state of the news, comparing it even to the way it was when I was a child.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I consider yahoo to be a step above a tabloid, sort of like watching reality tv about something that may be documentary worthy.

Someone in the thread already touched upon what journalism has become in the past ten years, anyway.

To me this is borderline close to complaining that Fox news has some very irritatingly stupid shows.
    Okay, so you find my Bonfire thread useless.

You're wasting a hell out of a lot of time in here then, arguing minutia that you see as irrelevant.

I think you missed my point about the AP feed, though. The AP feed is standard on news of ALL levels -- local, state, national; it's not supposed to be "tabloid."

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, so you find my Bonfire thread useless.

You're wasting a hell out of a lot of time in here then, arguing minutia that you see as irrelevant.

I think you missed my point about the AP feed, though. The AP feed is standard on news of ALL levels -- local, state, national; it's not supposed to be "tabloid."
    I never said your thread was useless or irrelevant. I gave my own opinion on the matter.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx

I take Jennifer's side here. This is low quality reporting that manipulates people's weakness to both feel inspired and afraid. It scarcely deserves to be called a facebook update. It provides no relevant or interesting information, it provides a tone that simply inspires fear more than curiosity, it provides no sense of relevancy or intrigue. It is not news, it is a commentary, a simple commentary on a simple thing, made to seem special and important.
    God forbid any of these wannabe newscasters were in a war zone, or a drought, or a famine, or a plague. I think they'd run away screaming.
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elisius View Post
    God forbid any of these wannabe newscasters were in a war zone, or a drought, or a famine, or a plague. I think they'd run away screaming.
    That's at the extreme other end of things, but it definitely highlights the difference.

No one would accuse Tim Hetherington ("Restrepo") or Marie Colvin of being flakes.

In this case, actually just provide an article that is more than a post on an Internet forum somewhere. Most people here can write a better post than those "commentaries."

garbage

That article reads like an entry in a reader comment section of a real article.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I'm not sure where to put this. It's mostly a bitch, but to just put it in the rant thread seems pointless. I'm sure there is a lot to discuss casually about the safety of some things people do for fun as well.

Some of you might have heard about Aimee Copeland, the 24-year-old female grad student who got gashed on a zipline two weeks ago, ended up with a raging bacterial infection, three days later got her entire left leg amputated into her abdomen, was in a coma, and now looks likely to loose at least all of her fingers, but potentially her other feet + both of her hands.

Latest articles:
    http://carrollton.11alive.com/news/n...eating-disease

http://news.yahoo.com/student-flesh-...opstories.html

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...141750834.html

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-bacteria?lite

Some say she's lucky to be alive; I guess it really depends on how she feels about it, because her life is going to be insanely different now... all because of what seemed to be a fixable incident at the time.

This is a commentary I saw today on Yahoo, and it's just a stupid PoS waste of space:

wth is this about? Does this contribute ANYTHING useful to the tragedy this family is going through? If you're going to comment on something, why not make it insightful, rather than capitalizing on the tragedy just to add another commentary article to your collection?

All it says is:
    1. People can get hurt.
    2. If not for modern medicine, she'd be dead.
    3. We can survive tragic events due to medicine and courage.

Literally, that's all it says, without any more explication than that. What a jerk. Why not invest more thought into this? Why not make it relevant to ANYTHING? Was this someone's ninth grade class writing project? Andrew Riggio, you suck (!)

I bet people on this forum could write posts no longer than this "official commentary" that actually say something more meaningful or revealing about this situation, without any sort of credentials. (If you want to take that as a dare, please go right ahead. She deserves better.)
    It's just an op-ed piece.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

People read Yahoo commentaries?