User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Which is more empathetic, Fi or Fe?

Over at personalitycafe, I mentioned that Fe is more emphatic empathetic than Fi, generally speaking. This was met with a large amount of disagreement and criticism.

So, am I wrong?

Part of the definition of Fe is empathy, connecting with others, and experiencing others' emotions quite intensely. Fi is, by definition, more focused on one's own emotions and inner feelings. This isn't to say that Fi isn't capable of empathy, not by any means, but Fe is more natural at it.

These thoughts are what led me to say that Fe is "more emphatic empathetic." To be more precise, Fe is more natural at being emphatic empathetic.

EDIT: I made an error. When I say emphatic I mean empathetic. I know, they have two completely different meanings. But I did mean empathetic.

Not to be that guy or anything, but are we talking about empathy here or emphasis?

Anew Leaf

on personalitycafe they also worry about which type likes chocolate milk more, so I wouldn't care overly much.

Also, didn't we just have a thread like this? I think I've been on the forum too long. :P

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Not to be that guy or anything, but are we talking about empathy here or emphasis?
    Right right, I just now realized this error. Every time I said emphatic I mean empathetic. Though it is clear everybody else there thought emphatic = empathetic too...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I tend to see Fe as more sympathetic and Fi as more empathetic.
    Different kinds of pathetic, if you catch my drift.

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I tend to see Fe as more sympathetic and Fi as more empathetic.
    Different kinds of pathetic, if you catch my drift.

I never noticed that.

I do disagree with that though. I think that Fe is both more sympathetic and more empathetic than Fi.

Definition of empathy: The intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

Definition of sympathetic: Harmony of or agreement in feeling, as between persons or on the part of one person with respect to another.

They both deal with the emotions of others, what Fe is good at. Fi pays much more attention to its own emotions and feelings.

"People who use Fe are hyper aware of others' feelings
    People who use Fi are hyper aware of how others make them feel
    (this is the most confusing distinction, as they often lead to the same result)"

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Oh this is another thread where Fe types get feel all superior, right. Noted. Too be honest a fair amount of you wouldn't know a true empathetic person if you fell over them. Y'all can get back to your Fe wank fest now.
    I'll be here eating my popcorn, not sharing, because I'm selFIsh.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorjuice View Post
    I do disagree with that though. I think that Fe is both more sympathetic and more empathetic than Fi.
    Fi pays much more attention to its own emotions and feelings.
    Fi is more about interpreting than Fe. In order to properly interpret, you have to put yourself in other people's shoes. I think the difference is pretty clear when you compare ENFJs and ENFPs. INFPs usually keep it to themselves, so it is harder to detect.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Oh this is another thread where Fe types get feel all superior, right. Noted. Too be honest a fair amount of you wouldn't know a true empathetic person if you fell over them. Y'all can get back to your Fe wank fest now.
    I'll be here eating my popcorn, not sharing, because I'm selFIsh.

Just to be fair, there's Fe in sElFish too.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

When an Fi user perceives a situation and judges upon it, they feel the situation as if it was them within it. By example: A person may cry and be upset because he broke his pen, whereas the Fi user within the situation may not care about the broken pen at all and so would feel no negativity about seeing the other person cry about his pen. Of course this could also mean that an Fi user may feel worse about a situation that another person may find more trivial. Value is by subject of situation as well as person and so if the Fi user values the person in which the pen is broken, the Fi user may more closely empathise with the emotion.

An Fe user would perceive the information by emotion where they may empathize upon the person's feelings instead and feel as negative as the person feels whether or not they would react the same way in the same situation. This often builds up the structure of Fe in what would be the most appropriate emotion for its given time.