User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh no, not another Fe vs Fi thread again!

All you need is wubbie
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, not trying to put down FPs or anything here guys. I just think it's pretty obvious that Fe is more naturally empathetic than Fi.

I once again quote: ""People who use Fe are hyper aware of others' feelings
    People who use Fi are hyper aware of how others make them feel
    (this is the most confusing distinction, as they often lead to the same result)"

Now here's the definition of empathy:

"The intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another."

Not that FPs aren't capable of empathy, they certainly are just as much as FJs are. But FJs more naturally empathize.

MBTI
    INTP

Oh my, I just realized the inside joke everybody was talking about on my Fi vs Fe Explained! topic. This Fi vs Fe has been hotly debated here at typologycentral hasn't it?

I don't want any conflict here people! Just some nice, friendly, cooperative debate.....

A window to the soul

Fe - empathetic
    Fi - sympathetic

Fi being a rational function and sympathy being a rational decision (by definition).

I've done a complete analysis of the two somewhere around here... *advanced search*

Found.

Based on the analysis in my old post below and my understanding of the functions, I think Fe is more empathetic and Fi is more sympathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    They differ in emotional meaning:

• Empathy is actually sharing another's suffering, while sympathy is a feeling of recognition of another's suffering.
    • Empathy when one has "been there" and sympathy when one hasn't.
    • Empathy is putting yourself in someone else's shoes to feel what they're feeling and sympathy is the ability to support the emotions of another person with compassion.

One can empathize, but not sympathize:
    One might empathize with someone that hates their job, but not be sympathetic towards that person because they logically conclude that person has the power to change their situation.

One can empathize and sympathize:
    One feels sympathy towards someone that loses a loved one and also feel empathy, if they too have lost a loved one.

To answer your question, I think empathy is more highly regarded because it's more personal. It's truly connecting with someone and gaining an unspoken understanding. Then and only then can you really inspire or appropriately help someone. And yes, even sympathize. In my opinion.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorjuice View Post
    Yeah, not trying to put down FPs or anything here guys. I just think it's pretty obvious that Fe is more naturally empathetic than Fi.

I once again quote: ""People who use Fe are hyper aware of others' feelings
    People who use Fi are hyper aware of how others make them feel
    (this is the most confusing distinction, as they often lead to the same result)"

Now here's the definition of empathy:

"The intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another."

Not that FPs aren't capable of empathy, they certainly are just as much as FJs are. But FJs more naturally empathize.
    I don't think it means, what you think it means. That and you have no understanding of Fi.
    Empathy doesn't mean patting another's hand saying there, there, it means physically experiencing the same emotions at the same and sometimes greater intensity than the actual person experiencing them. Tell an FP they don't do that on some level and you're setting your self up for a bitch slap.
    I was identified as empathic (by a psychologist) way longer than I've been identified as FP. I don't always follow the socially correct forms of expression, but I mean it when I say I feel your pain.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There are others here who are much more eloquent on the matter.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I feel your pain.
    I'm confused.

I might be wrong in my assumptions.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I don't think it means, what you think it means. That and you have no understanding of Fi.
    Empathy doesn't mean patting another's hand saying there, there, it means physically experiencing the same emotions at the same and sometimes greater intensity than the actual person experiencing them. Tell an FP they don't do that on some level and you're setting your self up for a bitch slap.
    I was identified as empathic (by a psychologist) way longer than I've been identified as FP. I don't always follow the socially correct forms of expression, but I mean it when I say I feel your pain.
    That definition was taken straight from dictionary.com.

And yeah, of course FPs empathize on some level. I would say FPs empathize as if it is themselves in the situation, in other words, in a more subjective fashion. FJs more directly experience the emotions of others, experiencing the other people's actual emotions.

I think Oakysage's post is relevant here:

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    When an Fi user perceives a situation and judges upon it, they feel the situation as if it was them within it. By example: A person may cry and be upset because he broke his pen, whereas the Fi user within the situation may not care about the broken pen at all and so would feel no negativity about seeing the other person cry about his pen. Of course this could also mean that an Fi user may feel worse about a situation that another person may find more trivial. Value is by subject of situation as well as person and so if the Fi user values the person in which the pen is broken, the Fi user may more closely empathise with the emotion.

A window to the soul

I'm curious, which is the more rational function, Fe or Fi? I thought it was Fi, but now I'm thinking that's not correct. Fe is a left-brain function and Fi is right-brain, correct? (Golly, this is awkward. I may need to redo my hypothesis.)

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I wouldn't necessarily show it, especially now. Not unless it's a big slug of feeling. It's not always welcome. There are times when you have to shut off too.
    I think people mix up picking up social signals, with empathy. It's not the same thing at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]