First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I am somebody. Speak for your self, buddy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Erm, I'm not sure if I've had an issue with this, I dont think I had an inflated or inaccurate sense of my own importance or anything to begin with. If anything Northern Ireland culture and schools do the opposite, sandel people with doubts and low expectations and diminsh ambition and dreams to next to nothing.

I've had crisis' about my own mortality, perhaps the last year or the year before that were the most striking, although it didnt depress me too much and it wasnt as a reality check or anything. It was sort of related to doubts and fears I had about religion and theism, ironically at a time when I would say that theism was, if not making a come back was not weakening or disappearing culturally as it stouted opponents would hope to be the case.

Although I'd question in what sense anyone is a nobody, most people are somebody to someone, I'd even suggest that the great men and women in history probably did not think of themselves as such, the megalomaniacs and tyrants are the exception and everyone knows their fate.
    Yeah you might not relate because you're not American. Americans have a narcissistic idea that everyone must externally validate through wealth or achievement. Or else they might not exist.

It's the stupidest fucking shit in the world, but it's propagated via our society, these sad pitiful people who think their life has no meaning if they aren't "extraordinary" in the sense of speshul achievement. God it sounds like being a mentally challenged person who wins a gold medal. No thanks, y'all.

If they only understood that they'd be extraordinary simply by choosing to be an individual, to be fearless in life about going for what they REALLY want, not what other people tell them they *should* want.

I mean hey if you want to be immortal, there's many ways to go about making people remember you (including dying by planking on a balcony or roof) that don't include special "gifts" or "achievement."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

God loves history's nobodies.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah you might not relate because you're not American. Americans have a narcissistic idea that everyone must externally validate through wealth or achievement. Or else they might not exist.

It's the stupidest fucking shit in the world, but it's propagated via our society, these sad pitiful people who think their life has no meaning if they aren't "extraordinary" in the sense of speshul achievement. God it sounds like being a mentally challenged person who wins a gold medal. No thanks, y'all.

If they only understood that they'd be extraordinary simply by choosing to be an individual, to be fearless in life about going for what they REALLY want, not what other people tell them they *should* want.

I mean hey if you want to be immortal, there's many ways to go about making people remember you (including dying by planking on a balcony or roof) that don't include special "gifts" or "achievement."
    I have written so many different replies to this and none actually cut the mustard so I will just say that this may just be the smartest thing I have ever read!! (Not to take away from other good points here, but this one really hit the nail on the head and stood out to me). You are certainly not alone in your thinking!! Thanks, Kudos, and Huzzahs!!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    You grow up thinking you'll be an amazing person....that you'll achieve great things.
    What is your criteria for being an amazing person? What would you actually have to achieve to have it be "great things"?

This is like the "nice guy" response to life. "I'm a nobody and nothing is worth anything" "I'm a nice guy and no girl likes me"

--

I know I'm not going to be remembered centuries from now but I'm fine with that. We build upon other people. The world is different because I am in it and I'm happy with that. Rather than a sea of nobodies I see it as a mass of individuals making up a great sea of humanity. I'm one of the fishes but that's ok. No one ever made a dollar with 99 cents.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I never did realize I was just another nobody in a sea of nobodies, and for that reason, I never became one. My failure to realize that truth was more a matter of choice than accident, and it can be a matter of choice for you, as well. I will go so far as to recommend that, in order to cure yourself of these nihilistic thoughts, you convince yourself, on a regular basis, that you have an unprecedented destiny to fulfill.
    [...]
    Those who have achieved great things have generally felt that they were up to something important, and that it was up to them to accomplish it.
    Great summation.

Time hasn't yet taught me that I'm an absolute nobody (maybe I'm just a slow learner), but it has taught me that I don't have all of the answers, that I don't have complete control over my destiny, that life requires a good amount of adaptability and flexibility in one's goals, and that we all ought to focus on our intrinsic value and that the right "results" will follow from there.

I figure that we might as well think set the bar decently high for ourselves, so long as we're not completely devastated, emotionally ruined, or discouraged if we fail. We ultimately have the power to choose how we perceive ourselves and the world around us.

I'll tell you one thing: when I convince others of their meaning and significance, and when I illuminate the broader picture and context that surrounds their work, they're much more motivated to succeed.

figsfiggyfigs

When I saw this
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 05-09-2012 at 05:33 AM.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

There would be no sense of disappointment if such ludicrous expectations ("I'm gonna be better than everyone else at XXX, and everyone's going to recognize this") didn't exist in your mind in the first place.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The question is, would you be happy if you were anybody else
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]