User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you have emotional awareness?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a T: Yes

5 26.32%
  • I'm a T: Yes and I don't want it

0 0%
  • I'm a T: No and I want it

1 5.26%
  • I'm a T: No and it is uneeded

1 5.26%
  • I'm a T: No and I don't want it.

0 0%
  • I'm a T: I don't know what you mean

0 0%
  • I'm an F: Yes

9 47.37%
  • I'm an F: Yes and I don't want it

2 10.53%
  • I'm an F: No and I want it

0 0%
  • I'm an F: No and it is uneeded

0 0%
  • I'm an F: No and I don't want it.

0 0%
  • I'm an F: I don't know what you mean

0 0%
  • I'm not sure if I'm T or F: Yes

1 5.26%
  • I'm not sure if I'm T or F: Yes and I don't want it

0 0%
  • I'm not sure if I'm T or F: No and I want it

0 0%
  • I'm not sure if I'm T or F: No and it is uneeded

0 0%
  • I'm not sure if I'm T or F: No and I don't want it.

0 0%
  • I'm not sure if I'm T or F: I don't know what you mean

0 0%
12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Do you have Emotional Awareness?

I was assuming this is sort of a T or F thing but I realized that many friends I have that are T have emotional awareness. I was discussing it with an INTJ - he was the one who came up with the term to fit what I was describing.

We were talking about how some people, no matter what type, seem to have some sort of "caring" for other people inside. I consider it "sensitive" in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by in yahoo by Laurie's INTJ friend
    The main thing is that I assume that emotions (real emotions) are readable. And that under the facade - some basic forces are at work in people's minds underlying their actions and below their conscious and stated reasons some deeper motivation drives them.

It is a great intellectual puzzle to figure out the deeper motivation and so that is why INTJs should pay attention to people. People are the ultimate Rubik's cubes
    My friend thinks he picked up the ability to see "caring" from his mother. Is it built into some types? Is it easier for some types?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm inclined to think that NFs are the most likely to be naturally gifted in this area, but I don't think they have a monopoly, by any means. If you're an NF you're likely to be "sensitive". But you could be very inward-looking, in a selfish way, and constantly think only of how you feel and not how others and their feelings enter the equation.

I would think of it as being aware of others' feelings, taking care not to hurt them unnecessarily, showing a genuinely caring attitude, etc. I do think that upbringing and the people who are around you have something to do with it. And I think you can learn it at least to a certain extent. It may not come to you naturally but it could be part of your self-development, because you realise that it enhances your life and others' lives.

For some people it might come naturally to feel for others, but not to actually SHOW that you care in tangible ways - that could be the thing that you need to learn.

I think that like most things it's partly nature and partly nurture.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think it's more based on your experience and whether or not you can relate to the person(s) in question.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think I come at my "emotional connect" via N and T, although I'm also sensitive to emotional vibes coming off people.

I guess a better way to say it is that I'm naturally really sensitive to the vibrations; but I use N (to imagine the possibilities) and T (to flash up and down the cause/effect chain based on my past experience with various types of people) to help me key in on why they might be projecting that vibe.

I also went through an early period of my life where I just thought sometimes people's emotional responses were stupid / irrelevant, but in adulthood I gained some additional perspective/acceptance; and thus tailored my responses to be more supportive. (Well, except for those instances where I still think their responses are stupid / irrelevant!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

I think your friend's got a good idea.

I believe that mirror neurons can give us more information about others' emotional states at a subconscious level, but that we can also consciously pay attention to others' expressions. We can also consciously learn what to do about another's emotional state, what motivations might be causing those emotional states, and so on. If we learn that stuff enough, it becomes almost instinctual.

Personally, I've got a decent amount of mirror neurons--for good or for bad. I also come from an environment where communication was pretty indirect and emotional awareness wasn't so present, and so I had to also consciously look beneath the surface to try to see what other people really meant or wanted. While I can admire those who can "filter out" that sort of information, I wouldn't trade places with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I would think of it as being aware of others' feelings, taking care not to hurt them unnecessarily, showing a genuinely caring attitude, etc. I do think that upbringing and the people who are around you have something to do with it. And I think you can learn it at least to a certain extent. It may not come to you naturally but it could be part of your self-development, because you realise that it enhances your life and others' lives.

For some people it might come naturally to feel for others, but not to actually SHOW that you care in tangible ways - that could be the thing that you need to learn.

I think that like most things it's partly nature and partly nurture.
    Well said

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I believe that emotional awareness can belong to either type depending on level of health, and that it is a matter of capacity. You could have a thinker with exceptional emotional awareness, they may understand perfectly how another feels, how actions impact them, etc. and still choose to make a decision based on logic. You could have an unhealthy feeler so over run with their own distorted feeling perceptions that they are blind to the real emotions of others. There is no way to quantify this in the big picture. In my own personal experience with life I have found that typically, feelers have a foot up on thinkers in this regard simply because their preference has motivated them to collect more data on it. Just my exp. though.

Oh ya, the OP! I think that I have a good amount of emotional awareness when I choose to. I am not above getting caught in my own whirlwind of emotions, but when I decide to hone in on another person and understand them I feel like I can do this very easily.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I have to do it consciously, which I do. So I care, and I am alright at it.

But I'm not one of those people who sponges up others' emotions and feels them like an extra sense. When I say I'm alright at it I'm comparing myself to the sponge-types who breathe in people's feelings.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    ..We were talking about how some people, no matter what type, seem to have some sort of "caring" for other people inside. I consider it "sensitive"..
    I usually feel a level of sympathy with others..which can vary depending on the person and or situation. It's hard sometimes because even though I'm a T the emotions can 'rush' inside..and I then have to work really hard to understand what someone is talking about to not be overcome by feelings.

I'm learning to balance, though.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I was assuming this is sort of a T or F thing but I realized that many friends I have that are T have emotional awareness. I was discussing it with an INTJ - he was the one who came up with the term to fit what I was describing.

We were talking about how some people, no matter what type, seem to have some sort of "caring" for other people inside. I consider it "sensitive" in a way.

My friend thinks he picked up the ability to see "caring" from his mother. Is it built into some types? Is it easier for some types?
    I would call it emotional or social intelligene but it would mean the same thing, in Red Dragon there's a character who is a thinker or also an empath, it describes how he can think his way into the head of the killers and experience their motives and drives.

I'm strongly T and very comfortably T, reasoning and reflection are second nature and I'm more comfortable with thinking rather than feeling or acting on feelings, although I like to consider feeling and believe that while society and the economy and culture actually discourage it or encourage an unhealthy version of it a development of a reasonable feeling could be a goal for anyone.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Voted yes and I don't want it. It's a PITA.