User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

As for me. Luckily this is a buyer's market when it comes to homes and land, so I'm set on that.. but my financial times are hard because I'm making them hard. I'm purchasing a place to call home, the land to build it on, and a house for my parents to retire in. That's a lot of stuff to buy for a 25 year old. I have to have all my ducks in a row, and not skirt by this by the skin of my teeth.. So I've been cutting out many luxuries in the process.

I've had a "no spend" month already, where I refuse to purchase anything that wasn't dire to my health. (Being the army, this meant I didn't need anything at all.) So the entire month I didn't have a single transaction. People who understood were nice about it, sometimes people peer pressured me into breaking it, but I told them all to shove off and just stuck with it. It helped a lot. Even here I notice how many little things that don't matter that I buy all the time.

I've been changing the smallest things on up as I get the ability. If I can wash clothes more frequently and not buy new ones, then that's what I'm going to do. If I can just not buy that drink everyday before work and save myself the heartache of missing out on a cool trip, then that's easy enough to me. At home, I plan on stretching my money as far as it will go since I'll be living off of a student's income with a part-time job.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Are birthdays going back to the simpler things they used to be in the 80s and 90s for kids?
    I've never had anything I would consider an elaborate party.... And I really haven't ever been to one for someone else either... Well, I take that back, my aunt always busts her tail so her kids can have a bigger and better party than her friends had.... My immediate family has usually just stuck to having a family gathering at someone's house, cooking up a good meal, and baking our own cake.

Are people going back to weekly dinners or "meatless mondays" or things like that?
    Again, we've rarely been ones to eat out every day or even more than once a week. I do one day a week without meat, just because I do think it's good for me to give my body a break from meat. (Personal preference, not saying everyone should)

Have you had to adjust your attitude or mentality to look for ways to save?
    Nope. I've always been pretty tight with my money, and so has my husband.

If you haven't changed at all, do you think you'll need to change the way you do things in case your situation changes?
    It's very doubtful. My husband gets disability from his injuries obtained in Iraq and he's tenured at his job now... So his monthly income is pretty stable. My income is really just bonus money for us, so if I were to lose my job or quit, we'd still be okay. Our bills would still get paid, and we'd still have a lot of money in savings built up.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Got rid of the nasty credit card!!!! Paid off all my debts. Live in a hovel (although it is unbearable, so I'm moving now). Saved a wee bit. Haven't gone out extensively. Had a cheap car to run, although upgrading soon. Don't live in a city. Doing okay right now.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I do one day a week without meat, just because I do think it's good for me to give my body a break from meat. (Personal preference, not saying everyone should)
    It's kindof amazing to me that so many people think this is such a big deal. I'd spend so much money and worse, time/energy if I made meat every day! Meat is delicious and I doubt I'll ever go vegetarian, but eating it every day gets boring for me.

(unless it's bacon. delicious delicious bacon. )
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's kindof amazing to me that so many people think this is such a big deal. I'd spend so much money and worse, time/energy if I made meat every day! Meat is delicious and I doubt I'll ever go vegetarian, but eating it every day gets boring for me.

(unless it's bacon. delicious delicious bacon. )
    I know! Good Lord, if I forget to put chicken or steaks in the fridge to thaw out while I'm at work, then I have to wait forever for it to defrost! If I just use veggies, beans, and grains I don't have to wait.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

exactly! it's being lazy more than virtuous, at least for me. It just has some nice side effects.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I tend not to be that materialistic to begin with. All I really need are a computer, internet, video games, books, and movies -- and the funds to power them.

The only thing that's really hurting me is all the repairs I'm getting on my car and gas, but since my car is an economical four-cylinder, the gas prices aren't hurting me as much, and I get to laugh at the rednecks with their F-250s who spend $100 to fill theirs up (and then bitch about it). I mean, seriously, I rarely see anything in the beds of pick-up trucks on the road, so why do people need them?

But yeah, car maintenance is the only thing really hitting me, but it's that much closer to being a new car. I've considered getting a new car, but my yellow bastard has so much character.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I feel like I got that speech a lot as a kid..

My mom was a bit smart about it though. She MADE us go play outside for an hour or two before dinner.. so that we'd be nice and hungry once we got in, and hunger is the best spice when it comes to food. Not having many other options for food either helped a lot as well.. "If you don't eat this, you don't eat. We don't have it." It's a very easy choice then.
    lol, that's funny.

@mujigay

That's a stupid idea to abandon your dreams for that. I go to school full time right now and am broke as hell. I live off of pell grants and loans. You may have to go in debt to accomplish your dreams, but you can still accomplish them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Currency depreciation made my tablet more expensive.
    /playboy

Have you had to adjust your attitude or mentality to look for ways to save?
    No.
    Are you looking for more ways to save money on the daily incidentals of your life?
    No. But my needs aren't extravagant at all.
    If you haven't changed at all, do you think you'll need to change the way you do things in case your situation changes?
    That's a pretty broad question, but discounting extreme scenarios the answer is ''probably not''. To be honest, a crisis could even be a good thing to me, as I know how to profit from them quite well.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

This makes me sad to read. Have you thought about seeking out scholarships and grants? I'm not sure where you're at in the world, but I know the US has many programs for aspiring students.
    The cost is less the deciding factor, more the nail in a coffin constructed of parental pressure.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost