User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

I plan to go into the military and my fiancee is planning to go to school both of which are places that fare well during tough economical times.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The issue I have is that this is absolutely right and those who are most likely to influence these cycles, causing recessions or depressions to be more severely felt by others, are the most protected from them and consequently do not do a lot to prevent their severity when they hit or actively profit by it.

That's even if you consider the business cycle as a sort of inevitable and natural phenomenon, I dont really believe that that is the case or ought to be the case, I think its a convenient lie and supports the same rich special interests I mentioned previously in their avarice. The reality is that the market and economies are meant to be legacies of the enlightenment and sciences, they are meant to be directly related to and products of mankinds ability to grow beyond being fatalistically prey to their environment, seasonal fortune/misfortune or even, atheists would say, God's will as interpreted by religions and priestly castes.
    The top fits more into the flow of money, I doubt no amount of money (from the private sector) would have compensated for the amount of debt people had taken on. And why would a bank want to lend money to someone with a poor credit history, and why would someone with money to invest, be willing to waste losing it in a business in a poor economy. I like Kinsey economics, but have a difficult time seeing a government being able to spend a country into a recovery when it is starting from debt.

The bottom is planning for possible future events based on past experiences, if the French had learned from the temperature changes in the 1650s, there may not have been a revolution in the 1770s.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I related to quite a lot of what @Lark said.

I think that generally, the kind of attitude toward money that you were brought up with will influence you enormously. My parents are both from quite well-off families but they are quite frugal people - partly a post-war generation thing, I think. They certainly don't believe in replacing things on a whim, impulse buys, or anything like that.

I think some of my good habits have gone because of my somewhat hectic lifestyle. I live in a big busy city and I like treating myself to "little" treats like expensive coffees and things. Which of course add up massively. But they kind of smooth the way for me, which I like. I used to make my work lunches a lot more and now don't very much. However, I'm getting a tiny bit better again at doing that more, partly because I started ordering a weekly fruit and veg box - butternut squash soup currently simmering on the stove, lunch for the next 2 days!

I love clothes but don't really buy a lot, and almost always buy on sale. Certainly if something is expensive I would very very seldom pay full price, unless it is a real investment like a great pair of boots or something. I have two pairs of boots which are almost the most expensive items of clothing I ever bought (it was in Ireland and I think the most expensive of the two pairs was almost 200 euros). However, I have had them for seven years, worn them loads and they're going strong, so...

I'm also not much tempted by electronics. I've had the same MP3 player for several years, it's great and it cost me 50 quid. I've had four mobile phones in the past ten years and spend a pretty reasonable/low amount on phone calls and texts.

In terms of what I've changed recently for the tough times - not a lot; but I recently moved and I now have a housemate again, after living alone for years. Rent is atrocious in London and it honestly seemed kind of necessary. And living alone here you end up paying a fortune for a tiny space, so it really is better in a lot of ways. I have a steady job which doesn't appear at all threatened but I feel more aware that it could just get taken away, as I know plenty of people who've been made redundant, and a few years ago I had a lot of job instability due to contract and temp work. I think I'm also eating out somewhat less than I used to but that's partly due to living in a different part of town. I still eat out reasonably often but try to do it on a budget/discount, which is usually possible one way or another (two for one mains, and so on.)

I feel a bit ashamed that I don't save more. I work in the arts and salaries are not great but if I were a little more careful I could probably save a bit more. I know that I will eventually inherit some money from my parents and while I don't know how much, I understand it's a substantial amount. I have a feeling that knowledge has made me a little less worried about my finances - which is kind of bad. Although, I still worry, I'm a 6. I know though that I have a lot less to worry about than many of my friends, who end up giving their parents financial support (even though they can hardly afford it), and so on.

London really is becoming a city for the rich - quite scary.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

garbage

Voluntarily taking a paycut and working fewer hours so that I don't have to bring in as much business but still get to keep my day job. Paying some more attention to our side business, which rests on a pretty stagnant industry. Putting higher education and marriage on hold until things get sorted out (but for no longer than a few months).

Not so bad. Shit happens; I adapt a bit.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    The top fits more into the flow of money, I doubt no amount of money (from the private sector) would have compensated for the amount of debt people had taken on. And why would a bank want to lend money to someone with a poor credit history, and why would someone with money to invest, be willing to waste losing it in a business in a poor economy. I like Kinsey economics, but have a difficult time seeing a government being able to spend a country into a recovery when it is starting from debt.

The bottom is planning for possible future events based on past experiences, if the French had learned from the temperature changes in the 1650s, there may not have been a revolution in the 1770s.
    Kinsey economics?

It seems reasonable that a bank wouldnt want to lend to people with bad debt or poorly performing businesses but that is exactly what happened, in the US the subprime mortgage crisis was caused by lending to so called "ninjas" that's "no investments, no job or assets".

Economies cant recover when the money doesnt circulate, when the state wont or cant circulate money in the economy, and that is the one big purpose the welfare state has performed in capitalist economies, then something else has to circulate it and the evidence is in that the banks and private businesses arent sufficient to circulating the money.

Although I'd be clear too, the rich dont care if the money circulates in a way which promotes recovery if they're protected as is, if there's a huge percentage of the population who're just excluded from the economy, no jobs, no money and subsisting on charity or benefits, it doesnt matter because most of those in the minority notice no difference, they dont shop in the same stores, they dont shop most of them, the transglobal elites live an entirely different exclusive life to everyone else.

An economy can work that way, it can be slower growth, slower innovation, a much more limited population in the money and often just doing nothing with that money once they've maxed out the conspicious consumption.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I work only part-time, 25 hours a week. I'm getting by and not going deeper into debt but I also make alot of sacrifices. I have a pretty small living space- a one bedroom apartment. I live alone so that space works for me. I do sometimes wish it was bigger though. I don't have to have the latest fashions so I save alot on clothes that way. I am good at finding discounts and good deals. I live in the city and I can take advantage of public transportation and walk alot to save on gas. I don't travel the world. I'd like to eventually but just can't afford it right now. My traveling mostly consists of short, local day trips.

I'm in a profession where lots of people work part-time and good paying full-time positions are hard to come by. I sometimes wish I did have more money so I could travel more and also save more for the future and find a little bigger space to live. Yet for the most part I enjoy my job and don't want to go to school again to get yet another degree. So it's a dilemma. Right now, I'm just looking for a better job in my field but eventually I may branch out more.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Hey man, look on the bright side...I'm loving taco bell's value menu lately: and to think that the main ingredients in their food are this pink slimy substance and "meat extract". In my Grandma's day when didn't have delicious slime to feast on. Last week I was out with my niece and she told me that she didn't enjoy her Taco Bell food that I bought her. I told her, "Now that's good slime young lady. Now be a good little girl and eat up."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I finally buried my art school dreams. The tuition alone would bankrupt me.

So long, FIT and RISD. It was nice thinking about you two.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i dont feel like it effects me
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'm in a profession where lots of people work part-time and good paying full-time positions are hard to come by. I sometimes wish I did have more money so I could travel more and also save more for the future and find a little bigger space to live. Yet for the most part I enjoy my job and don't want to go to school again to get yet another degree. So it's a dilemma. Right now, I'm just looking for a better job in my field but eventually I may branch out more.
    Have you considered how to slash your daily purchases and using that money to save up throughout the year? Traveling the world isn't THAT expensive, I'd argue many places are fairly cheap (You may not be able to go on a big Italy trip, or a nice Greece vacation.. but a trip to Mexico, or a trip to a neighboring country isn't THAT bad..)

I was reading a book about a family who ate on $25 a week for four people. I usually spend close to $100/wk on just myself and the occasional company.. Cutting a few costs like daily expendables (paper towels for cloths, no eating out/spontaneous purchases, etc.), and menu planning to lower your food budget while still eating healthy would potentially give you enough money for a small trip in just a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Hey man, look on the bright side...I'm loving taco bell's value menu lately: and to think that the main ingredients in their food are this pink slimy substance and "meat extract". In my Grandma's day when didn't have delicious slime to feast on. Last week I was out with my niece and she told me that she didn't enjoy her Taco Bell food that I bought her. I told her, "Now that's good slime young lady. Now be a good little girl and eat up."
    I feel like I got that speech a lot as a kid..

My mom was a bit smart about it though. She MADE us go play outside for an hour or two before dinner.. so that we'd be nice and hungry once we got in, and hunger is the best spice when it comes to food. Not having many other options for food either helped a lot as well.. "If you don't eat this, you don't eat. We don't have it." It's a very easy choice then.

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    I finally buried my art school dreams. The tuition alone would bankrupt me.

So long, FIT and RISD. It was nice thinking about you two.
    This makes me sad to read. Have you thought about seeking out scholarships and grants? I'm not sure where you're at in the world, but I know the US has many programs for aspiring students.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge