User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    @Lark: Oftentimes people repeat themselves because they feel they are not being heard. It sounds almost as though there are times when you feel intruded upon when others try to build a connection with you?
    No that's not what I'm talking about, it happens in groups more often than on one to one, its closer linked to inattentiveness or a lack of concentration than everyone is giving credit to really, a kind of annoying circular or looped conversation. Perhaps there are reasons in terms of type or other psychological explanations in which people are seeking other things besides whatever the topic is, that's what I would speculate.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I hate to answer a question with a question, but here goes:

Does anyone get pissed off over hearing over intellectual or psuedo-intellectual yet condescending discussions?
    I dont like hearing people attempt to discuss things they obviously dont understand anything about.

There's a lot of threads on the forum which remind me of that.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    That's not a response to my post, Lark.
    Got it in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont like hearing people attempt to discuss things they obviously dont understand anything about. There's a lot of threads on the forum which remind me of that.

Yours.
    The future is for the unafraid.

violaine

I try really hard to not let things get to me because if I did, I'd be walking around perma-annoyed. (I live in NYC).

I did have a hard time yesterday in a diner - loud + shrill talker was smooshed right up against me... She was talking with a friend and didn't seem to pause at all, but for tiny breaths every so often. It was freakish. Eventually I became quite enthralled with her style. How on earth could she externalize her thoughts so damn quickly and seamlessly? I just tried to dig in a little under my annoyance.

But I overhear some absolute gems when I'm out and about in NYC. It's one of my favorite things, so can't really bitch too much about annoying interactions I'm sometimes forced to witness.

I'm someone who repeats myself a bit in conversation. I can hear myself doing it too. I'm sure it's annoying. It annoys me! I hate redundancy but I also hate being unclear. And I apparently annoy people I'm talking with by turning away from them when I'm talking so that they have to ask me to repeat myself. Repeatedly.

MBTI
    yupp

it annoys me when there's a screaming child. and i'm trying to have a converssation. but i would never ever dear go up to the parent and say "shut your child up" because that's just rude.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I hate to answer a question with a question, but here goes:

Does anyone get pissed off over hearing over intellectual or psuedo-intellectual yet condescending discussions?
    lol, Yes.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    it annoys me when there's a screaming child. and i'm trying to have a converssation. but i would never ever dear go up to the parent and say "shut your child up" because that's just rude.
    I don't feel nearly as bad saying that when the person raising the fuss is not a child but an adult and should know better.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Sometimes when I have lunch by myself in a restaurant there will be some really loud talker/laughers. You can always hear what they are saying and sometimes I listen, and could feel annoyed, but I end up wondering what it is like to be them and why they are talking so loud. I think it makes people feel special to be the little group drawing attention. Then I don't really have an emotional reaction, but try out the empathy again to see if I get a different take on it.

Someone mentioned passive-aggressive communicators. I had one really extreme parent of a teenaged student of mine. Every sentence that came out of this woman's mouth was an insult, and every time she spoke she would squint her eyes. Some of the insults would be back-handed compliments, and some rather transparent. It didn't hurt my feelings, but it was really uncomfortable and made me feel tense. I didn't really want to understand why she did it, and was relieved when they transferred.

My worst experience is in competitive, academic environments in which the back-handed compliments and double talk are quite polished. You leave with a horrible feeling, but it takes a long time to pinpoint the problem. I actually get physically sick when I'm around people who communicate like that. I end up not hating/disliking the people because I can feel, sense, and see so much insecurity that the whole thing is just wretched even though all the people are quite accomplished, because many people can't just relax and enjoy their accomplishments and the successes of each other.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

ReflecTcelfeR

When this happens I wonder why I've wasted my time.