User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default is it because I live in the south?

Ok so my friends from 16-24 never went to church denounced god. now that I'm 25 all of a sudden they are going to church and bible study even my gay ones believe in god and go to church, i feel like i'm the only person in my social group that doesn't believe in god nor goes to church. not that there's anything wrong with church, i just found it strange.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Junior Member Horrible Aesthete's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I likewise to not believe in god(s), though I have been 'blessed' in that most of my close friends have remained equally atheistic and more than a little disenfranchised with religion. Of course most of my friends have recently tested a INTP. Nevertheless, I do find it an interesting trend. I feel this way abut my sister, who has recently found god(s) and begun attending church. I can only assume it is has it root in the the fact that she is dating a Christian, and maybe (unfortunately) related to the fact that they both have children. Which brings me to another point that, while I can understand it on a certain level, nevertheless perplexes me to a certain degree. I have witnessed several of my more liberal friends take a decided conservative turn of mind when they bear offspring, or when they consider bearing offspring. I have not desire to reproduce, for may reason, not least because it goes against my world view (I also have some terrifically unorthodox takes on jut about everything), but if I were going to do so, I am absolutely certain my values would not suddenly change because of it. Since having children, my sister otherwise bohemian sister has likewise become much more conservative in thinking. I am not saying that everyone does this of course, but I have noticed a decided trend among people I know.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'm assuming they were all raised that way, maybe they were just going through a rebellious thing because they're young and rejecting what their parents did, but now that they're older they want the tradition and stability again.

MBTI
    yupp

yeah but some of them went to different denominations than they're parents. a lot of them go to liberal churches, where there parents went to conservative or catholic churches
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Some people do not go to church because they believe in god but because they are afraid of death.

I think its got to do with psychology or maturity rather than geography, Jung discussed this in his book Modern Man In Search of His Soul, the rightly suggested I think that there could be a first half and second half of life psychology because the challenges in each are so different and attitudes to things such as spirituality are therefore naturally different too.

Although I suspect most of the athiests I knew at school are still athiests, there's perhaps a family culture and social class side to that question too.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

tell them that god doesent exist
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Horrible Aesthete View Post
    if I were going to do so, I am absolutely certain my values would not suddenly change because of it. Since having children, my sister otherwise bohemian sister has likewise become much more conservative in thinking. I am not saying that everyone does this of course, but I have noticed a decided trend among people I know.
    i think we often overestimate the role of our minds or inherit sense of being in our values, and underestimate the role of the experiences that have made certain principles valuable to us. it is to be expected that drastic changes in how you see yourself would change your values, and parenting does that - because it changes where you see yourself.

the little person about whom you have read just about enough psychology to recognize how horrible it would be to project that he is you, but for whom you'll experience a sense where giving to him feels better for you then giving to yourself, whose development you are more proud of then your own, and whose self-seeking becomes more valuable then your own, can very easily becomes the center of this new and barely recognizable shape of your ego and emotional feedback loops, and new values will arise to meet that new shape. the old values will be there, but will often be reformed, outdone, outmatched, and out-rewarded.

so yes, it may very well become way more important to you that they will get a diversity of experiences every day and new ones if at all possible, even if you end up snoring at 11pm to be woken up at 6am and don't get to go out to get baked on a blend you've never smoked before and screw women you've never met before in 4 positions you've never tried before.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post

don't get to go out to get baked on a blend you've never smoked before and screw women you've never met before in 4 positions you've never tried before.
    switch man out for woman and this sounds fun
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    tell them that god doesent exist
    I'd like to see you prove that one.