User Tag List

123 Last

Anew Leaf

Default Spent Challange - How Far Can You Go?

http://playspent.org/

Thanks to my l33t Self Prez skillz I got 30 days but I lost my pet and my chest has suspicious pains in it.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I gave up when it got past the point of my actual conditions and didn't really allow me to alter them to me.

Edit: I want realz!!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    http://playspent.org/

Thanks to my l33t Self Prez skillz I got 30 days but I lost my pet and my chest has suspicious pains in it.
    O_O I just put down my pet because I couldn't afford treatment for it.

I'm a monster.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I got through the month with $5 left, but with rent due the next day I'll probably be in debt. My electricity is also out, but my kid was super taken care of. I pretty much had depression from neglecting myself for my kid and never taking any stress relievers.

I've lived this sort of thing before.. it's a pretty accurate 'game'. Scary accurate. I had health insurance only because I was in the army, I was shunned in the army for a short while because I went to sick call everytime I had drill since that was the only time I could afford it. I ate well when my neighbor decided I was broke and started sharing food, but before that I was pretty much starving and avoided people so I wouldn't be forced to spend money.. which isolated me and made me feel pretty ill all the time. Iraq was one of the better things that could have happened to me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

figsfiggyfigs

A lot of these questions are asking about situations one shouldn't put themselves in if they can't afford it. Like having kids, buying a house you can't afford, having a pet. Living in an expensive city, and so on.

A lot of these options are limiting. Like the laundry for example " ask a friend or pay 30" . You can wash that shit by hand if you really want to save some money.
    And all those kid questions, I declined on most of them. Kid doesn't need them; it's a want, same would apply to me. They can start doing that stuff when they can start earning the money for it.

I had $202 left at the end.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

3 car accidents in a month?
    $75 phone bill?
    Ended up with $ 192, but lost the job.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ended up with $45 dollars and answered how I would do things irl. Like for instance.. the kid went to the museum and went to the gifted program, but did the Bday without a gift. And I just had to skip the wedding, I'll never live that one down. A lot of these decisions are familiar ones. I have had a secure job for a long time, but I've had hard months.

If this were a real situation, I'd move to a cheaper city. The commute and auto expenses and high rent add up fast.

$70 but the rent is due tomorrow
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Junior Member Horrible Aesthete's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Had $1084 left (rent's due tomorrow). Killed the pet (wouldn't have a pet anyway). Had chest pains and an aching tooth, and no tags for my car, though. Only thing I might have done differently in real life is to have had the tooth fixed.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    A lot of these questions are asking about situations one shouldn't put themselves in if they can't afford it. Like having kids, buying a house you can't afford, having a pet. Living in an expensive city, and so on.
    I agree, for the most part. I'd be damned if I'd get myself into a situation where I'm living well beyond my means. I would not dare try to start a family without an insanely secure job and stable savings.

I made it through with $299. I didn't cheat a lot of systems, such as car tags, etc., since I figured that those would come back to bite me later on. I also bought health insurance which made my copays for inevitable health problems lower. Hooray!

I also denied my kid a lot of stuff so that we could actually survive. That's what my parents had to do with me and my sister growing up; we grew up poor and managed our resources accordingly. Being without adequate resources sucks; we have to make choices, and there are huge risks involved. Now get off of my lawn, everybody.

Of course, it's a lot easier to press buttons in a game than it is to live all of this stuff out, to be thrust into situations like these and actually experience these sorts of choices.

--

Overall, I must gain stability first. Then I can start a family, join unions, let my kid buy ice cream, stick to principles, and bring about social change that hopefully helps other people avoid situations like this.

Adequate stability will take more than a month, but it's not impossible. At the rate that I was going, I would be putting $300 per month in savings, which isn't so bad considering that the scenario has one starting from nothing.

Overall, this game is a neat look into living poor.