User Tag List

First 1234 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    the point of all of this is that these people don't think and feel this way. I do.. and the fact that I emerged from being suddenly stuck with an apartment of my own instead of splitting half of all the bills, with a car stolen and needing to buy a new one on the fly, and working 3 jobs while maintaining school full time proves that is do-able, and sacrifices can be made. People do it all the time. But not everyone's priorities are money. Money is a very depressing thing for many people.. And even though money isn't depressing for me, and not being debt is a major motivator and driver for me, I was STILL very depressed. I was isolated--.. I was on the opposite side of town with no friends for family near me, so even if I had the time I couldn't go see them. (And I had no kid, so I was free to come and go and work 3 jobs as I pleased.) I had trouble with food (my neighbor caught on to my weight loss and started feeding me.. she never asked me, she just started offering food. I suppose it's hard to show restraint, because even though I thought I attempted it when I politely agreed to take the food, it started coming on a daily basis after that... I had food of my own. But boiled rice and free soy sauce packets and dried beans soaked and boiled in water are hardly what I'd call a meal.. and that was every day for two meals a day.) and I was exhausted and depressed. I was seriously depressed.

The point of it all to show that the quality of life is horrible for people who have to live like this, and that's why they should be helped. People shouldn't be in a depression, never seeing or doing anything, or letting their children experience things just because they're poor. You don't know why they're poor, or why they're there in that situation.. if it's temporary or not.

I think too many people just shrug off poverty as if poverty is the result of people making bad decisions and being lazy and never bothering to correct them. Poverty isn't fixed with a few sacrifices and wise decisions. If it were that easy, I doubt it'd exist at all by now. It's a very complex subject, and the game is trying to convey that in overly simplistic terms by trying to put you in someone's shoes. It isn't "I wouldnt have gotten there." I think almost everyone here said "Well I wouldnt have done that, so no problems there."
    I told myself I'd never put myself in a situation I couldn't handle. But I couldn't handle that apartment. I mean.. I did. but truthfully, if I had been someone else, Id have been like "Pfft. She shouldn't have ever trusted that dude and moved in with him. Stupid. She didn't know if she could afford it if he decided to leave it." Standing back and looking is much easier than being in it. At the time it WAS the financially sound decision to make. It was the best option. But shit happens. And a good decision turned into a horrible one and there was nothing I could do about it but ride it out until my situation changed for the better. It was pure luck they sent me off to war... And the worst part is, I think it is *lucky* that I got to go to war when I did. What kind of situation is that where going off to risk your life is a great thing?

When you're the one being judged and being looked at by others, it colors your lenses a bit. I have a huge heart for poverty because I lived it and I was there of my own doing. No one forced me to have that apartment. I'm glad my father made the decisions he made.. they weren't always the best financially ('You know what. Screw that. Im going to be late on it no matter what. The payment on the fridge can just wait, they won't take it away, they'll just send it to a bill collector and I'm tired of my kids not getting fresh vegetables for dinner and not getting fruits for snacks.' for an example.) but he also never took up habits like drinking, or caught cases of depression or anxiety attacks, or things like that. He was healthy, and we were healthy..

I think ya'll are underestimating the importance of some of the things you scratched off the list all for the sake of money, is all I'm saying.
    This isn't a personal thing. We've all had our dealings with making tough decisions to keep going, including what you've descibed. I just don't see the importance of all those things, when there are a ton of cheap/free things you can do to entertain yourself, and your child.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think ya'll are underestimating the importance of some of the things you scratched off the list all for the sake of money, is all I'm saying.
    I grew up without most of the perks of money, and it was unpleasant - that's why I will never have kids until I'm convinced that I can afford them in all reasonable outcomes including loss of a job. You can acknowledge that life sucks when you're poor while also acknowledging that there are constant decisions in life, and some will lead to to a better future than others. Choosing to have kids is one of these. Choosing a major/career is another huge one.

What I find really tragic is that many people continue to live in poverty because they haven't been educated about making financial decisions, and they're so overworked and stressed out that they can't think long-term and are just focused on immediate needs. They don't have the time and mental energy to learn things that could help.

To be clear though, I completely agree that there are many circumstances beyond your control (or beyond reasonable efforts) that can lead to poverty, especially in the states with health care and probably other things that more reasonable countries pay for. My view is coming from a country with a far more extensive safety net - although we do still have homeless, and poor. It's just that there are also a lot of ways to help yourself, even if it's just a little.

edit: I do think there is an overwhelming tendency for most people to judge their own positive outcomes to be based on skill, and negative results to be based on luck - while thinking the exact opposite about other people/other groups. This applies to both poor and non-poor people. The truth is usually that it's a mix of both, of course, with the exact composition varying from situation to situation.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

$500 left at the end of the month... apparently didn't have a pet and my kids didn't need anything too expensive

I opted into the health insurance and paid my bills... and contested the damned ticket and took the cheap option on as many things as possible... I never had anything new growing up because we couldn't afford it, but I had what I needed to feel loved and have any opportunity to succeed... I chose the same sort of options as what I was raised with I skipped out on any out of state events and went against my conscience and didn't join the union... I can go with my conscience when I can afford it, but survival is definitely the most important I guess having grown up without much and having gone a couple of years rather broke kind of made it easier to sort out priorities... what's going to turn into a bigger mess if I ignore it, when to swallow my pride and what I can blow off...

funny but I decided to say no to taking up smoking in the game because it wasn't a good idea financially even though I failed my 8th attempt to quit smoking in real life a few months ago... I took up smoking because I smoked when I drank, not to relieve stress, which was the cause in the challenge
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I know it would never happen because it would be too unpopular, but the world would be a far, far better place if you needed a license to have children. Too many people are seemingly incapable or unwilling to think ahead.

Randomnity 4 pres!
    @kyuuei made good points; not everything is predictable and avoidable.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

garbage

Yeah, this stuff is all complicated. It's a mixture of choices, upbringing and culture, awareness, and opportunity that can't readily be teased out.

My dad has had to cut off his sister because she was a 'bottomless sink.' She and my dad (and other siblings) were raised similarly, but, from his perspective, she doesn't make good choices. Most of my outside family has remained poor; my immediate family had rough financial times as we were growing up (couldn't afford birthday gifts, etc.) but my parents eventually rose above it.

A very close friend of mine makes an honest living here in the states and sends money back to her family in her home country. Shit sucks over there; family planning is hard, and contraception use is around 10% whereas it's around 66% in developed countries. However, certain members of her family continue to make poor choices (I have seen her mom in action firsthand); there are exactly two people in a family of six that are taking care of the others. My friend feels compelled to help her entire family, almost to the point of driving herself to destitution, because that's how she was raised.

I think that the best way to help others is to equip them with tools (information, awareness, opportunities, etc.) that allow them to put their natural decision-making skills, work ethic, and responsibility to good use--people often don't know what's out there, so it's difficult to make good choices in the first place.

Made it through with over $400. A second time with $27. I couldn't put the pet down.

They should've made it more realistic. Like siphoning someone's gas yourself.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

944$ left and I believe rent was 815$, so I am good. All this test really did though was annoy me and further validate my stance on the poor only being allowed to have a certain number of children. While I believe the majority of these 'this or that' questions were trivial (a fucking school play vs. money for food/rent/etc; logic anyone?!), I at the same time believe children should be brought up in a mentally and physically stable environment. Good standing finances don't guarantee this, but I believe it helps.

Also if it costs 30$/week to go to the laundromat (?!) why would you not just buy a used washer for 50$ (which is what my house has done every time ours breaks)? Or wash non-dirty, non-smelly clothes less often?
    30$ is something I've never come close to spending at a laundromat and then they decided it wasn't plausible to hand-wash the clothes.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

figsfiggyfigs

Made it through the second time, ignoring things like medicare, and most of the other stuff, with enough to pay rent and buy more food.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Thanks to my l33t Self Prez skillz I got 30 days but I lost my pet
    YOu had a pet?

I made it to the month's end on the first try, with $209, but I had to make some pretty brutal decisions + it looks like we're eating spaghetti forever (if not just ramen noodles). And I don't think that will pay the rent.

Oh, and I lost my job. But I did have health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    30$ is something I've never come close to spending at a laundromat and then they decided it wasn't plausible to hand-wash the clothes.
    I think on my own I'd spend about $5 a week on laundry + whatever a bottle of detergent costs, spread out over its lifespan. That would go up if I was doing laundry for three kids, who also tend to go through clothes much faster (because they get much dirtier).

edit: I do think there is an overwhelming tendency for most people to judge their own positive outcomes to be based on skill, and negative results to be based on luck - while thinking the exact opposite about other people/other groups. This applies to both poor and non-poor people. The truth is usually that it's a mix of both, of course, with the exact composition varying from situation to situation.
    Good observation. And yes, it's a mix of both. Hard work can accomplish some things, as well as education/knowledge (so that people get all their options on the table); meanwhile, they are fighting against their culture and upbringing, as well as the sheer exhaustion of trying to operate at that level of life; it can be like trying to tread water with lead weights on your ankles, let alone swim somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Well, at least you didn't put down the kid.
    Wait... Can I do that? *hopeful*

"Look, honey! Without kids, we can keep our smartphones running!"

EDIT: $631 on the second try, but we don't have electricity or cell phones. Plus, maybe my mom might die.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

damn i just had $23 but rent was due tomorrow. :/

some of you just drove off after hitting that car didn't you!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison