User Tag List

123 Last

Anew Leaf

Default Phrase "I was just kidding"

What do you think when someone says something that can be taken as being rude/off putting, and then pops out the phrase "I was just kidding" right behind the potentially offensive remark?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It depends a lot on the context of the situation; sometimes if not right, in can turn what would normally be a dark and insidious remark into a clever piece of humor that invokes good laughter. If done wrong though, it makes for awkward and juvenile tension between persons.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think it's a way of stating whatever nastiness you want to express and then attempting to avoid the social consequences that come along with doing so.

It's sometimes also used by people who are just very unsure of themselves and don't want to commit to standing by anything they said until they are certain of others' reaction to it.

Can you imagine Chris Rock saying, "just kidding" after every potentially offensive remark? It would ruin all the fun!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If I sense that it was indeed a joke, I don't mind. But if I sense that the person wasn't joking, then I get pissed, because it's hard to argue with ''I was just kidding''.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

It could be sincere, but if it happens often enough it starts to look like a consequence-avoidance strategy, either out of legitimate uncertainty or passive-aggressiveness.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Like it's overweight cousin 'only joking', 'I was just kidding' is a contextual nightmare.

Sometimes it is apt and for this it is best to watch out for true sincerity so as to separate it from the other type.

And that other type is as a cop out for those who knew they were being offensive, knew it would upset someone and realise they either feel guilty, or wish to undermind someone's indignation.

ps: I love Chris Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think it's a way of stating whatever nastiness you want to express and then attempting to avoid the social consequences that come along with doing so.

It's sometimes also used by people who are just very unsure of themselves and don't want to commit to standing by anything they said until they are certain of others' reaction to it.
    In truth I want to be as wise as this someday and to say so much with such a perfect economy of words.

Are you like that in person Fidelia? Its pretty cool. You're a teacher in more than simply professional/career terms.

MBTI
    INTP

Coward.
    "It's never enough." The Cure

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    What do you think when someone says something that can be taken as being rude/off putting, and then pops out the phrase "I was just kidding" right behind the potentially offensive remark?
    I would just think that if they really want to offend people, they shouldn't say "just kidding", so they may be taken more seriously in the future and have more fun.